It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China detains 100-plus people for doomsday rumors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   

news.yahoo.com

Associated Press – 4 hrs ago....Email0Share0
Share1Print......BEIJING (AP) — Chinese police have detained more than 100 people, among them members of a fringe Christian group, for spreading rumors about the world's impending end, state media reported Tuesday.

Police seized leaflets, video discs, books and other apocalyptic materials in the recent arrests of 101 people across eight provinces and regions, from the prosperous east coast to less developed western Chi
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 18-12-2012 by Mosthated718bx because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Well I guess there are going to be a lot of these. I do find it stange that they would remove materials? I wonder if this is the begining of the fire fight? I am going to follow up on this book of Matthew.. I really do hope that people dont go off the handle with this 2012 stuff, as much as I hope for change not at the cost of people losing it over dates.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Mosthated718bx

Exactly what law did this break? Judicial systems are so seriously screwed up.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Wow this group is a handful, some info below

Most of the information available on Eastern Lightning comes from human rights organizations, the Chinese government, and international Christian groups with connections to Christian communities in China. The Chinese government lists the group as a "cult" and has actively tried to suppress it, especially since its millenarian theology tends to take an explicitly anti-government stance. They are known to employ extreme methods to attain converts targeting Christians. They have been cited kidnapping, torturing, and brainwashing their victims into conversion. In 2002, for instance, they kidnapped 34 of the leading members of the China Gospel Fellowship and held them for two months.[6]

The group was founded in 1989 in Heilongjiang Province by Zhao Weishan.[2] They believe that God has returned to earth as a woman, "born to an ordinary family in the Northern part of China"[3] to guide mankind for the third and last time. According to the group, the first and second times of active guidance of mankind were as Jehovah of the Old Testament and as Jesus in the New Testament.

Eastern Lighting

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by VeritasAequitas

It's China. Disseminating counter-revolutionary propaganda is probably still on the books.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   

I am not sure that the dooms day stuff was the reason, according to the link I posted they are some pretty bad guys? but thats whats being reported..

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Mosthated718bx

Don't forget:

Christian groups tend to be among the best-informed of all Western reporters on the movement, though they, like the government, regard the group as a heretical sect that deserves the label "cult" due to the radical differences that separate Eastern Lightning teaching from orthodox Christian doctrine.

en.wikipedia.org...

I don't usually agree with the Chinese government, but, yeah, it's a cult.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
There was 2 that I read about yesterday that they said were arrested just for passing out pamphlets about the Mayan calendar coming to an end, there was no junk about cults. They have no freedom of speech I guess there. They will get 10 days in jail for passing out the info.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Please. Religions and cults are exactly the same thing; minority religious groups are just stigmatized because majority religious groups can't stand anyone who disagrees with them, so they are labelled cults.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by AuntC

Any jail time for passing out fliers is most deffantely outrageous but 10! Doesn't help that governments oppress just about everything in their lives..

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Doesn't seem right to me either, But I guess they want everything to be hushed up about the Mayan calendar. So far we have not heard about Russia arresting people, and according to what I read yesterday people there are also worried about the 2012 Mayan doomsday date. I know I have Indian in me, and it worries me a bit but not like many. I know I always have everything prepared just in case of a bad winter, but some of these folks are going way to far.

But when governments start cracking down on people talking about that date, this makes more people worry because everyone knows the government would NOT tell them if something really was going to happen. Why not just leave people alone, and after awhile they will get the idea that people will give up. 90% of the people of the world, think the Mayan calendar is a joke, so why worry.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by AuntC

90% of people do take It as a joke, but it represents to some the number one thing that all governments fear with their little dark heart HOPE

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Seems that way, doesnt it

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Great idea, if these doomsday idiots truly believe the apocalypse is coming, then I say lock them up over the period, they could be a danger to themselves as well as others and then after the time is passed, they should be released each with a visible tattoo reading, "I am a doomsday idiot and I was wrong."

edit on 18-12-2012 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
china is a backwards hell hole. I can't stand that these sort of events don't shape the way self hating westerners see China but anything the US does will never be forgotten. At least we don't do that to our own people. I am not saying we are saints, but damn, China is oppressive as isht.

but this will be forgotten in a day or two.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
To bad it's going to be one hell of a show.
I guess too many may have taken this a bit too seriously.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001

It's China. Disseminating counter-revolutionary propaganda is probably still on the books.

Maybe it's time for those books to be tossed out.
Just saying is all.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
China Detains 1000 in Doomsday Cult Crackdown

Seems their getting more and more of them.

Personally I say good on them, given the naivety levels of some of the chinese populace something like that cult could become a real problem given time, regardless of the reasons behind the Gov crackdown.
edit on 20-12-2012 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by BigfootNZ

Not sure you are aware that the thread you posted has been locked out by ATS. FYI

new topics

top topics

join