It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Other Side Of Doomsday - A Warning About 12/21/12

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Hate to be the barer of bad news and crash the feel good party, but for every positive there will be a negative.

Most people besides the whole 2012 end of the world thing they got going on deep down and secretly fear the future and what it has to offer much more then they fear the end of the world. The truth is the continuation of the world is a much more frightening thing then the end of it is, and yes there fears are correct. In fact the whole doom and end of the world thing is just a direct expression of the fear they all have of the unknown, ie the future and all that it may bring. The whole end of the world and 2012 thing is kind of silly and its just what people do to cope with things, It's kind of like the same reasons why people watch horror movies, in a way to desensitize themselves, and in another way for the mindless fun, and in another way because the movie is a whole nother thing and can in, no way, no how, cope or compare with the real thing, but for a few hours they all can imagine that they can.

Most think they know how it will play out, however every other generation before them has thought the same exact thing and they were all in error. What are the chances that this generation and future generation will do the same thing? The craziness and bizarreness of it all, lets just say that the fun has just begone and things are likely to get "stranger" more so then they are already that is, but first I think people need to realize just how strange all of it was to begin with.
And so veils will drop, not unlike curtains dropping at the theater.

In the year 2525 if man is still alive, if woman can survive.
They may find...

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Good thread and most likely you are correct. I think many nut jobs will be so depressed at the fact the world doesnt end that they may well go out and cause some mayhem.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed

Good thread and most likely you are correct. I think many nut jobs will be so depressed at the fact the world doesnt end that they may well go out and cause some mayhem.

No one said the world was going to end! My goodness!

ETA: I was wrong about that. Someone did say that. I think it was on Ancient Aliens, The Discovery Channel, and the History2 channel. Ha! My mistake.

It is only the end of the age of Pisces, and the new age of Aquarius.

Someone got their "p's" and "q's" misconstrued with the word "end", and it got blown all out of proportion!
edit on 12/18/2012 by sled735 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Yes, true, but try telling that to thousands of blinded people who take online stories as Gospel. The whole Dec 2012 thing I think comes from badly misinformed people trying to justify the end of the mayan Long Count calender.

Guess what, our calender ends every Year!

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

I understand your point.
They should really join ATS so they can be better informed as to what is REALLY going on!

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

I must say Heff, you could be on to something with the 90ish days thing. I can easily see something happening that coincides with the gun laws issues.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Just found this, from MSNBC - that addresses aspects of the social significance and unique aspects of this particular belief system ( the 2012 belief ):

Doomsday predictions seem as regular as the tides. UFO cults and evangelical preachers alike have claimed to know the true date of the end of the world. But the Mayan apocalypse is unlike most any doomsday to come before.

That's because the Mayan apocalypse is an entirely grassroots doomsday, religion experts say. Most apocalyptic groups center around an apocalyptic leader, who passes along predictions, often claiming divine inspiration. The belief that the world will end on Dec. 21, 2012, on the other hand, has popped up almost entirely online, giving rise to a plethora of dueling predictions.

"This was almost an evolutionary process, in that certain ideas seem to stick for some reason, and many didn't, but what you ended up with is the current 2012 phenomenon," said Stephen Kent, a sociologist at the University of Alberta who studies new religious movements.

The driving belief behind the Mayan apocalypse is likely the same as any other doomsday, said Lorenzo DiTommaso, a professor of religion at Concordia University in Montreal.

Believers are motivated by "a general dissatisfaction with the world and a sense that its problems cannot be overcome by human intellect and engineering," DiTommaso told LiveScience.

However, unlike other doomsday predictions made by charismatic leaders, people come to the Mayan apocalypse for all sorts of different reasons, DiTommaso said.

"It's in some ways a Rorschach test, because you impose as much on it as it imposes on you," he said. "You've got a problem with the environment? Maybe it's 2012, and the planet is trying to tell you something."

What happens when there is a cult like belief system, without a central figure to guide, calm, pacify, or deflect and reconfigure failed prophecies???

THAT is the social experiment that we are about to witness.

I bring us back to a crucial point of my OP. What does one do with a concept that is, for all intents a purposes, an unguided religious movement? Especially when that movement has no official head? Well if one is an opportunist or has an agenda? One hijacks that movement.

We saw it with Occupy.
We saw it with Anonymous.

But this? This is so much larger, sublime, and complex.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
although I am a skeptic, I do secretly wish that at least *something* would happen in December 21 2012, simply because I am honestly very sick & tired of our today's modern society, humanity, and human species have turned into (ie: very superficial, shallow, materialistic, & greedy animals!), and that NOTHING damn changes!

"People often need DRAMATIC examples to shake them out of apathy" - Batman Begins

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
He forgot about the solar flares, 3 days of darkness, Yellowstone (or was it Yosemite?) erupting, and extraterrestrials finally making contact! ...CROWDS.
edit on 19-12-2012 by Shaxuul because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   

You need to consider that this was started via MSM. Doom specials by History Channel, NatGeo and many others have fueled this fire relentlessly. Then normal TV News picked it up and have been running with it like there is no tomorrow. Add Hollywood movies to the mix and the last decade has been used to prime the population.

Never before in the history of mankind has a date had such impact. My thread at www.abovetopsecret.com... examined what can happen on the day due only to the idea of a prophecy.

The only similar event causing mass hysteria was the War of the Worlds Radio Broadcast and that caused widespread panic.

The primary question is how will MSM handle the actual day. It will not be with responsibility, it will be with their usual callous disregard for their fellow human beings.

We are about to find out if a Prophecy can be self fulfilling in the modern communication era. Hold tight!

P

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Is it also possible that all of the shows, movies, and commentary on this topic are a means of desensitizing the population regarding what may occur? If people have watched the shows and seen the films, then they may be less likely to react adversely. Of course, this also goes the opposite way toward what Hefficide was saying. If there's been all of this psychological desensitization going on and nothing happens, there will be a mental balance due.

This also makes me wonder if it'll take a while to get spun up, or if it'll be rather immediate? The Mayan's talked about three days of darkness after the change when nothing was to be done because it wasn't safe. Could that mean that there'll be a delayed onset?

I'm personally of the opinion that nothing will happen, but I know several who are actually wishing something big will happen. As many other posters have said, I think people are tired of how things are and are really hoping for some sort of reset button being pushed. If they don't see that button being pushed, they might become desperate and end it themselves. It would be wise to pay particular attention to people's state of mind on the day, and days following.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
First,

I think you blow that entire thing out of proportion. I don't think that a "huge majority" of people even believe in the Dec 21 theory, instead it's very few people. Probably less overall than there are religious fanatics believing in whatever else things, or whatever other groups of "weird" people might be out there that are "potentially dangerous" and could possible snap every day.

HECK we just had another shooting, proof that this **** is going on all the time, Nuts people exist and have always existed.

Second,

You come up with some weird theory that so many people might be "let down" and snap because their ascension has not happened etc... same thing there. People snap all the time.

pheonix:

"It was started by the MSM".

No it was not. It was not started by the MSM because in my opinion the MSM are not the ones spreading the doomsday fear. The MSM will jump on whatever topic which is current and "talked about"..but they are not the initiatior of the 21 dec theory nor do they actively "push it". If people would not have CHOSEN to believe in this stuff, the MSM wouldn't even have picked it up and then reflect in news reports and Hollywood movies.

If people believe this 21 dec event would be "more real" because Emmerich did a pretty stupid movie about it etc..it's their problem really.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

It was started by the history channel and its ilk providing doom specials that depicted this nonsense as real. Everyone else followed their lead in one way or another. The movies followed this pattern.

Some people are wound up pretty tightly.

I prefer helping people rather than just throwing them out because its their problem. If you truly believe this then you are part of the problem.

P

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

Great post, galadofwarthethird. I would add that we actually want a doomsday because it will take the responsibility of mass destruction out of our hands, so it's not our fault. It also clears the board for a do-over, quick and clean. I think the most profound thing that will occur Friday is the realization that nothing is going to happen unless we do something about it. A day of personal and global realization that we got ourselves into the messes we are in, and we are the only ones who can get ourselves out.

The other thing about the Mayan connection that I think many don't catch is that the Mayans never said it would be the end of the world, only the "end of time." If we were to accidentally discover time travel on or near the day, it most certainly would change everything we think and realize about time. It would be paradigm-changing on an immense scale, similar to that which occurred upon Einstein's famous equations, and Darwin's evolutionary theories.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Great relevant thread of course! S+F!

Not only the following months are more of concerns but there going to be alot of explanation to do post 12/21/12 due to the global scale of this Mayan prophecy date. Of all the doomsday predictions we got to admit THIS one takes the cake.
The build up has been over a few decades, individuals from all walks of life have participated and fueled the hysteria or vested attention of this infamously popular end-time date, unbelievers, skeptics and believers alike.

In the probability of otherworldy event, the alien invasion(or visitation) is what had finally grew to get me really on edge because that is the one event that can be sudden. This whole 2012 hysteria personally led to the rediscovery of biblical texts along ancient civilization legends and the similarities are quite startling the more you try to connect the dots. The extraterrestrial factor seems to be the one always coming back.

What is even more startling is what this Mayan 2012 prophecy has thought me already; There might be nothing exceptional to this so-called advanced civilization in comparison to the previous ones and that the masses are just as clueless about what's beyond the system they're enslaved to. Just look at the degradation of psychological and physical health, can it get any worst without total fall of society?

edit on 19-12-2012 by Exv8densez because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
If you are a non-believer, make sure that you've done all your Xmas shopping by the 20th!

My biggest fear is that all these people that are expecting the world to end, will suddenly realize that they now have to buy Xmas presents...it will be mayhem in the streets and shopping malls for the next few days, for sure!!!
edit on 19-12-2012 by SpaceJockey1 because: spelling

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   

It seems to me that many things are at play when contemplating what may or may not happen during December 2012. On the one hand, the rationale given for taking the abrupt ending of the Mayan long count calendar as a sign that everything will come to an end seems thin at best. In my book, a more likely explanation is that it goes back to the beginning and starts all over again. Sort of like putting up a new wall calendar on January each year.

Another part of me thinks that the reason people are anticipating this date so much is because many believe that something drastic NEEDS to happen now to stop the inhuman state of affairs we are now in. We instinctively feel that we need a “clean sheet of paper” going forward. From corrupt banksters and politicians to un-ending wars on “terrorists”, we have descended into a dark place from which many of us feel we can’t extract ourselves short of a cataclysmic event. My theory is that something could happen for one of the following three reasons:

1) A true cosmological cycle (the precession of the equinoxes) will finish on December 21, 2012 and will result in some event that we don’t have the historical records to anticipate. Something like a sunrise moment that will change the earth in ways it has done for all of the previous cycles. The toilet will be flushed, so to speak, and the earth and any survivors will begin a new age.

2) The global power brokers and illuminati will use the fear surrounding this date to precipitate a false flag event that will allow them to consolidate power and bring their vision of a New World Order to fruition at our expense.

3) Neither of the first two will happen, but people will revolt because they are so fed up with the status quo, that if the Mayan calendar is not going to save us, then by golly, we will need to get off the sofa and do it ourselves.

No matter what happens, the thing we will need to remember and act on, is that we are all in the same boat. There is no us and them. There is no patriot and terrorist except in our deluded minds. Once we have that epiphany, we can and will know what to do..

Namaste

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   

this Mayan prophecy

I wouldnt say the World Ending on 2012 is the Mayan Prophecy at all. There's no evidence at all to suggest the Mayans ever prophesised this.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by EarthlingSpelunker

You can tell who has read the opening post, and who hasn't.

Nothing retarded here. All the retarded [SNIP] will occur "out there" in 2 days, 57 hrs., and 56 min.

edit on 19-12-2012 by Gemwolf because: Removed censor circumvention

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join