It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Standing water on Mars in PIA16550

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0pass
There is not just standing water but possibly a river on mars.

Link to larger image

River on mars

Original link.

NASA Raw Image
edit on 18-12-2012 by 0pass because: (no reason given)

That one at least that picture gives an illusion that makes it slightly resemble water which is not the case with the pictures OP posted.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Even the rocks themselves look worn down as if by running water. I wouldn't consider that area to be dry and the silt look is much like a delta.

Used to pan for gold with my grandfather in creek beds and the colors were a lot like that.

edit on 18-12-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

And that might very well be the case as they found plenty of evidence that suggests it once had plenty of liquid water.
But that still does not change the fact that there is no liquid water in any of these photos.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I was fooled also on first glans...

But I do not think it is water, but to highlight the area I made a little visual:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
... so OP, I take it Martian water doesnt flow down slopes like it does here on good old earth.

Maybe its the difference in gravity

How can people look at an image and not see the slopes and planes and topology present in it? No wonder people see some funky stuff that isnt there, their literally seeing a completely different picture to the rest of us... really does make me worried.

Those slate plates are sticking out of at a guess at least a 30 degree slope to my eyes...
edit on 18-12-2012 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigfootNZ
... so OP, I take it Martian water doesnt flow down slopes like it does here on good old earth.

Maybe its the difference in gravity

How can people look at an image and not see the slopes and planes and topology present in it? No wonder people see some funky stuff that isnt there, their literally seeing a completely different picture to the rest of us... really does make me worried.

Those slate plates are sticking out of at a guess at least a 30 degree slope to my eyes...
edit on 18-12-2012 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

Correct.

Each place they are claiming is standing water is some how defying gravity.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

I have to agree that it definately looks like water. Not the one on top, but the one on bottom and also to the left of it definately looks more like a reflection than a shadow.
I am also looking at the surrounding rock at the bottom which looks like water was running down the sand through the rocks.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I find A LOT more interesting the plaque and holed rock here, in the upper left of the image

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Same rocks. Different angle. Different time of day. Closer view. Shadows.

edit on 12/18/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by qmantoo
I have been wrong before and I am quite prepared to be wrong again, but.... how do we explain the grey area and the dark shadow area.

As I said above, the grey area has NO detail, and the shadow dark area HAS detail in it. This is exactly how an area of water would appear with shadow on part of it and reflection of the lighter sky on the other part of it. This is what we have here. The image above with the two red arrows is correct. The area in question is the area the lower red arrow is pointing at.

damn Quemantoo sic
That looks like a little stream at the bottom...one can see the water between the banks! complete with reflections!
SPOT ON!
at least its liquid for sure...maybe its another liquid than water?
Or maybe its VERY SALTY water...?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Took me 30 seconds or so, then I was amazed at the water !!

Then I thought, hm, how can this be ? So I thought, water can't slope when it's still, so look for what looks like sloping water, this will prove it's not water.

To the right of the image, near the bottom, there's a rock which is on a slightly raised area, the exposed part of the rock has a sloping edge going down, from left to right. There is what looks like water there. So..........

It can only be really fine dust that's slightly darker and blown into slightly recessed areas, this combined with the shadows is whats giving you the water effect.

I see the water 100 %, but it's not water.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by qmantoo

Liquid water cannot exist on Mars, the atmospheric pressure and temperature is simply too low.

If you're going to quote directly from my 4th grade science book, you should really use quotation marks and cite properly.

You only "know" this because you've been told this BY the "authority" which might conceivably be intentionally misleading the public on all things space.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Shadows.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by qmantoo
Starcrossd - I think that strange rock is very interesting as it has at least one hole in it and you can see straight through. Looks like a 'rock' which is only a couple of inches thick too, in fact not very rock-like at all.

I dont really think that Phage's shadows are the same because you can see some detail in the 'sand' areas which lead me to think that the ones in his links are sand perhaps. There will always be shadows, but what we need is a different view of this particular rock area which shows that it is indeed fine sand. (or water)

This one is taken from the tif image linked in my first post.

Can you honestly tell me that this does not LOOK like water or some fluid ? Of course it does.
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 18 Dec 2012 by qmantoo because: add DXXX link

You know, I was with phage and the others saying it's just fine sand, but that picture has changed my mind a bit. Just look at how the pebble rocks under the "water" fade as you go underneath the rock formation. It looks exactly how rocks under water here would look.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Urantia1111

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by qmantoo

Liquid water cannot exist on Mars, the atmospheric pressure and temperature is simply too low.

If you're going to quote directly from my 4th grade science book, you should really use quotation marks and cite properly.

You only "know" this because you've been told this BY the "authority" which might conceivably be intentionally misleading the public on all things space.

Well.... we know that Mars is 50% further away from the Sun than the Earth. We can deduce that temperatures on the surface of Mars are much colder than the surface of the Earth, even at the equator.

...even a fourth grader could figure that out.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by PvtHudson

1) That image has had its colors adjusted.
2) Here is a closer view of the same place at the same time and angle:
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...
3) Here is a closer view of the same place at a different time and angle:
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...
Why would the "reflection" move with the direction of the sunlight? No need to ask why shadows would, is there?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by PvtHudson

1) That image has had its colors adjusted.
2) Here is a closer view of the same place at the same time and angle:
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...
3) Here is a closer view of the same place at a different time and angle:
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...
Why would the "reflection" move with the direction of the sunlight? No need to ask why shadows would, is there?

Ah, I didnt realize those were the same picture. Ok, you've won me back over!

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
delete post
edit on 18-12-2012 by haven123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
The first thing I noticed is that there are no reflections on the surface of "the water" from the flat rocks above. So I don't believe this is water as water reflects like a mirror.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla
[...]
Source: Weather on Mars surprisingly warm
... and 45 above zero to minus 94 is supposed to be "warm".

Well, wouldn't you know it. We've barely been to Mars and already we're responsible for global warming there.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

Either you are right, OR the mission to Mars is a hoax and that picture was taken here on Earth at some remote location and being passed off as a Mars picture. Think about it. What better way to get Trillions of dollars for some shady operations than fake an expensive Moon and Mars program. Maybe this pic was posted without anyone at NASA realizing that there is water in it.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join