It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unwanted access to my computer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
When i booted my PC today, Adobe's update popped up.
It isn't in my start-ups and i couldn't find in msconfig.exe as a service.

My question is, does anybody know, how i can prevent Adobe having access to my system from happening ?

I am using Microsoft Vista.

Thanks.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   
check the services tab in msconfig for an adobe update service or something named like that

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Hold the windows key and press R. then type msconfig.exe

That should open it up

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   
It's in your best interest to allow adobe to auto-update. Without it your machine won't get security updates as soon as they become available which leaves you more open for attack. If you're really concerned about where your computer is phoning home to, installed something like Zone Alarm and turn its logging all the way to 11.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

i have, nothing. like it is coming out of nowhere.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Depending on the version of the updater there should be a preferences menu in the updater pop up itself where you can disable it.

All the other solutions I've seen for it involve registry hacks and things which I don't want to advise anyone to do
edit on 18/12/12 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Depending on the version of the updater there should be a preferences menu in the updater pop up itself where you can disable it.

i disabled it several times. i think, you can only disable the current update. when there is a new update, it comes up again.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by icepack

I am using Microsoft Vista.

Solution:

+

+

=

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

are you saying, with other operating systems it is possible to stop the pop ups ?

funny thing is, i never had any troubles with vista, except that it needs much more ram than windows xp.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by icepack
reply to post by boncho

are you saying, with other operating systems it is possible to stop the pop ups ?

funny thing is, i never had any troubles with vista, except that it needs much more ram than windows xp.

Vista is actually a virus that was accidentally released by Msoft instead of the planned OS.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

ok, i am amused now, but this pop up kills my nerves.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by icepack

Does this help?

If you don't have Flash installed - then it's going to try and install every time you access a web page that uses Flash - which is a LOT of web pages.

If you don't want Flash there are workarounds, but none that are as easy as "point/click"

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

flashplayer is very mighty. why can't i use a alternative, like vlc instead of windows media player ?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by icepack

Flash isn't just a video playing suite. It's much more than that.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Yes...its normal. We all pretty much have Adobe or at least many of the sites we all go to use and we have to have it. Eventually, if you dont, favs stuff and sites will not work.

About every 3rd request from them, months apart...I take it. Im already seeing an issue again with some YouTubes because of the latest, so Ill take the update today.

I wouldnt worry....but I'd expect some issues with sites if you dont because THEY are viewed via Adobe.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
if ...
you can install your browser as a 'portable' version,
[install in file folder instead of program folder]
that may stop it.

i assume you have unchecked all boxes in options that allow updating.

the updater is probably triggered by a 'super cookie' from adobe , so you can also try to 'deny all sites from storing information' in the flashplayer user interface in control panel.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by tinhattribunal

in the flashplayer user interface in control panel.

i can't find the flashplayer. i have searched my whole hd.

new topics

top topics

join