It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Citizen Petition to press congress for tighter gun control breaks record

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   

A citizen petition asking the White House to immediately press Congress for tighter restrictions on gun ownership has garnered more signatures than any other posted to the White House's website.

The petition, which was posted on the White House's We the People page, was filed soon after news broke about the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School on Friday. More than 151,000 people had signed the petition as of Monday afternoon.

LINK

So many things are better regulated than guns, we are not asking for a total banning of weapons but I think the people simply want more restrictions on who can own them. More background checks and longer waiting times. I won't support anything that infringes on people's rights, but I also will not support the current state of affairs.

Just as I typed this, my friend that work's at Dicks Sporting Goods has told me that they will stop selling AR-15's and high capacity magazines. It's a real shame that it took the deaths of 27 innocent kids and teachers to get the ball rolling.

Sales clerks at Dick's Sporting Goods stores across the West Coast tell WW tonight that the nationwide retail chain has stopped selling semi-automatic rifles in the wake of the mass shootings in Connecticut and Oregon last week.

Link

Apparently there is also talk that Wal-Mart will also cease the sales of AR-15's
edit on 12/18/2012 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/18/2012 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
ANOTHER ONE?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I have never seen ar's at walmart. Just a few shotguns .22's and bolt action rifle. And screw *Dick's sporting goods* I will never go there. Seems they get the same batch and quality of employees as walmart does. Millions of ar's owned and 1 was used. The statistics say enough.

GS

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Hmmm, I keep seeing all other threads about petitions getting shut down. I guess this shows where ATS stands on the issue of gun control.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Problem (Escalating Gun Violence)
REACTION (Shock and Knee Jerk Calls for More Gun Control)
Solution (More Gun Control)*

* Let's not forget that all of these mass shooters are mentally ill (some may have had "handlers" also). Adam Lanza should have been institutionalized.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
what restrictions exactly? Not like there aren't a plethora of them already. I fail to see how that would stop maniacs from doing the same thing. People need to learn to think for themselves.

and not to mention, that they should petition each state individually. Like their local government and on. There is little the federal government can do about what each state allows in its borders that is already protected by both the countries constitution and individual state constitutions...

Each state is a mini nation, and the federal government is like the UN of the US....it can ask politely but ultimately it is powerless unless each state agrees to honor it.
edit on 18-12-2012 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Instead of knee jerk reactions like banning guns how about we put highly trained very well armed security guards in schools? They could hide out in a back room with tons of cameras. The second something odd happens he can pop out of his room and simply kill the bad guy.

We can afford to kill children all over the world; Yest we cant afford one well armed and well trained security guard for each school.......

I have grown to hate this Country and most of the people that live in it.

new topics

top topics

join