It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My thoughts on gun control.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
The problem here, which most people are not even talking about, is that control of guns is not the issue here or even the solution. The issue here is that guns and other lethal forms of weaponry exist. We live in a warlike military world that runs on fear. It is ingrained in our society and on a deep conscious level. This I know cannot be changed unless there is some profound earth-shaking shift in how this world operates. That would require the total disarmament of all things that it's sole purpose is to kill and destroy. The world we should have and can have is not here and it will take, sadly, a century or more before we see the changes we want so we can live in a better place, a safer place. A place without a corrupt government that consistently lies, without a media brainwashing the young and old, without an education system that focus more on popularity and bullying, without a health care system that profits from the sick and dead, and a place where we have real leaders, real educators, real motivators, real friends who have our interests at heart. Collectively, as humans, we should reach higher and we should know better. There are indeed dark forces out there that want to bring us down in every way possible but you cannot fight fire with fire. This world, as you all know, is deeply in trouble and it will take a historic revolution to get things started. One without firing bullets but instead firing our voices for real change. It will take courage, great courage to do so.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
It's not society, it's human nature which shapes society.

We are humans, we are animals.......we are what we are until we aren't "human" anymore.

The violence of today is nothing new. It's a lot milder, in fact, than some points in history.

Nothing changes, we just have more media screaming it in your face 24 7.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
It's not society, it's human nature which shapes society.

We are humans, we are animals.......we are what we are until we aren't "human" anymore.

The violence of today is nothing new. It's a lot milder, in fact, than some points in history.

Nothing changes, we just have more media screaming it in your face 24 7.

Human nature is what exactly to you? I believe human nature is completely non-violent. It is society that shapes us, you have it backwards. It's what we are subjected to daily in this world that shapes our thinking and even DNA. From food to images to drugs. Everything in the current state of how the world is setup is meant to push us to the limits. This is not who we are. Not our human nature. Society is turning us into the animals, not because we are.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
From the dawn of our species we have been violent, we wouldn't have survived a a species otherwise.

I am not talking new age hippie "who we are", I am talking about reality.

Have you not studied any history? Stone Age man, Mayans, Egyptians, Romans just for examples. Most people are non violent individually, but as a species or when threatened......the human animal is violent.

Human nature is what keeps us alive.

edit on 18-12-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
One thing I am attempting to open people's eyes to is the fact that those people are mentally ill... Our focus needs to be on making therapy and medications more accessible to people with mental illnesses, this way it will just prevent these horrible things from happening. It would be easier to help people get treatment than bickering over weither to make guns illegal or not.
Please pass this idea on, I am trying to get it out there so people have a (more sensible) alternative to banning guns.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by sk8erchick

The problem I see is the government is over protective of the mentally ill persons rights.....to the detriment of those they might hurt. I know it is a fine line, but it has gone to far. We have to face the fact that some people are dangerous or broken. Letting them continue to live among normal people is not good for anyone.

It is the same problem with the educational system and inclusion. Some children just drag everyone else down, and it is not fair to the kids that are normal.
edit on 18-12-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by eudaimonia
The problem here, which most people are not even talking about, is that control of guns is not the issue here or even the solution.

How awesome it is to finally hear SOMEONE say what so few seem to understand...

Originally posted by eudaimonia
The world we should have and can have is not here and it will take, sadly, a century or more before we see the changes we want so we can live in a better place, a safer place. A place without a corrupt government that consistently lies, without a media brainwashing the young and old...

That place you speak of exists NOW.

Those beautiful lives that were snuffed out in Sandy Hook are there NOW...

That's the ONLY thing that gives me comfort in times like this.

K n o w i n g

edit on 18-12-2012 by Murgatroid because: Added link

new topics

top topics

join