It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists wasting valuable time easing terrified young people's 2012 fears

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
www.thestar.com...

For most, the pending apocalypse is wisecrack fodder. For the small handful of scientists and science enthusiasts working furiously to debunk these theories, the humour leaked away long ago. They say the frightened people on their digital doorstep are, at best, a troubling indicator of the state of science education and critical thinking. At worst, they’re a public health concern. “It’s disturbing,” says NASA senior scientist David Morrison of the scared, sometimes suicidal questioners who have flocked to his blog, “Ask an Astrobiologist.”

Sadly, we forget what kind of impact (no pun intended) earth ending planet smashing scenarios have when young people see these news stories on T.V. Its all fun for us to sit here on ATS and go at the next doomsday, but I think we also need to properly explain stuff to those less informed about these stories. Little kids can really be damaged by hearing these things and I think it might be wise to take a few minutes and check to see if our kids and others are okay and informed about the reality of Dec 21st and any other story we grab on to.

Your thoughts?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by winterkill

It just goes to show what the condition of the media is in.

Shambles.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by winterkill

Imagine how terrifying the book of revelations is to a young child who knows nothing of symbology or analogy, but is taught it as a literal account of what is going to happen. That terror of 'imminent end times' haunts you and becomes part of your pysche unless you can expung it with some serious self-administered education.

If only critical thinking was a subject in primary school. It's as important as maths and english, but is seen as a luxury, only for those who can afford a decent tertiary education.

I think the current situation is the logical extension of those two things - apocalyptic christian culture as a huge part of the subconscious of western society, and an education system designed to pump out obedient consumers but not critical thinkers.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I think the o pack o lips is not as bad because it doesn't have a shelf date. 2012 says...hey kids, don't bother getting up tomorrow.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
To be fair if you are stupid to end your life over an out of date doomsday prophecy then perhaps your life really isn't worth living in the first place?

At the end of the day if the world ends it ends, if it doesnt then we will still be here talking about the same old stuff. To me it makes no difference at all, in fact In a way I am actually hoping for it to end Friday, at least then there will be an end to the corruption of this world.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Or we can look forward to Christmas and phone up the local food bank or salvation army and toss them $50 so that some kid who didn't die can have the Christmas he hears that normal kids get.

Maybe we can start the end of the old world that way.

Good season everyone.

top topics

join