It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fish grow ‘hands’ in genetic experiment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
www.theregister.co.uk...

It’s a pretty safe presumption that hands evolved from fins, since fish evolved long before anything remotely resembling an opposable thumb. Now, a group of Spanish researchers has demonstrated a genetic expression that hints at how it happened. The group, led by Dr José Luis Gómez-Skarmeta of Spain’s CSIC-Universidad Pablo de Olavide-Junta de Andalucía in Seville, found that zebrafish injected with a mouse gene, hoxd13, developed leg-like limbs where fins should be. This indicates that the hoxd13 gene – which occurs in the fish, but at lower levels than in mice – helped drive the genetic changes that eventually become arms, legs, hands and feet.

Come on! Is this the level science is dropping to in order to once again show evolution?
Really?
This is about the dumbest thing I have ever read and I'm curious how funding for stuff like this occurs.

They took material from mice, put it in fish and this gives us an idea about how fish evolved hands?
Sounds like druggie animals swapping needles. Ya, that's how everything evolved.

Oh, did I mention that it was fatal to the fish? Wonder if that's what wiped out the dinosaurs.
Look ma, I grew hands...ack!

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
That is scary. That's like finding a way to force evolution prematurely. If an abundance of a specific gene exhibits evolution like that, in a small zebrafish growing arms/legs. What if you bung a load of that into a cow? Or a chimp?

what would there be next in a forced genetic evolutionary step? Any at all, are animals including humans at the extent of our genetic evolution? Is this how we will be in 1000 years? 10,000? if we're still around?

O.o

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Hate to say this, but...

Isn't that where fish fingers come from? ( fish sticks in the USA)?

or not....

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
How does that show evolution? Crossing genes is genetically modified, not evolving...

" However, the genetic experiment was also fatal to the fish."

Well no sh*t! Fingers don't really help you swim all that well. Durp.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
My friends,

Makes you wonder what really goes on behind closed doors.

If only we seen what REALLY goes on, this is merely just a glimpse of it

Spiro

top topics

join