It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$100,000 reward offered in MN cop killing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
After two weeks the police haven't solved the killing of Cold Spring, MN officer Tom Decker who was gunned down in a tavern parking lot on Thursday, Nov. 29, Here is all the facts so far in the case. I'm not posting any links because a simple search of his name will bring up numerous stories. The suspect that was arrested originally was released after six days. At first, many residents of Cold Spring were angry and thought a killer was let loose, but as the case goes on, many are switching their thoughts and think Larson may be innocent.

My father-in-law actually knows Larson and has tossed a few back at Winner's bar many a night. My wife's family is from Paynesville and Richmond areas of Stearns County which are neighboring small towns. His brother knew Decker as well, so, of course he and his brothers are all pretty stunned by the killing.

Here are the facts so far

Thursday night, Nov. 29

Police call comes from Ryan Larson’s family concerned about him hours before shooting

Larson lived in apartment above Winner’s bar in Cold Spring

Another officer, Greg Reiter, arrives at 9 pm but can’t locate Larson, asks others to look

Later at about 10:35 pm, Reiter returns and see’s Larson’s car parked by stairs to his apartment

Reiter called Decker for back up and waited for him to arrive

Decker pulled up at 10:45, exited his squad and walked towards the apartment

Reiter who was still in his squad then heard two loud bangs

Seconds later, he observed a male near Decker’s car pointing hand gun in shooting position at him

Reiter describes white male as six feet tall, wearing stocking cap, hoodie and jeans

Reiter says he then put his squad in reverse, while backing out he saw Decker’s body by his own car

At this point, shooter begins walking away in opposite direction

Special Emergency Response Team is called in, they secure scene then enter Larson’s apartment

They find him laying on his bed with a hand gun

They also found surveillance equipment, but no recording, that viewed crime scene

They also say they found a hoodie that matched the description of the shooter that Reiter gave

Larson’s attorney asks these troubling questions:

Why didn’t Reiter follow the shooter after he saw him walk away while calling for help
Where could he have walked away to, Cold Spring is a very small town
Reiter said he saw pistol, but it was later determined a 20-gauge shot gun slug killed him
Probable cause statement never mentions any other weapon other than a pistol

Larson was arrested, claims he is innocent and says his life is ruined anyways in Cold Spring

Larson said he was in bed and sleeping when the killing took place

BCA says Larson is still a suspect and he hasn’t been allowed to go back home, get his car or work

Larson says he has been bouncing around to different places where ever he can stay

Larson said he was depressed, but not suicidal, over classes at voc. tech and a break up with girlfriend

Larson sent text to family saying next day would be “big one” in regards to changes he’d make at school

It wasn’t until an hour after the shooting that police entered Larson’s apartment and arrested him

They said an officer was killed and Larson asked, “Which one?”

Larson, a bartender at Winner’s, knew Decker and served him at his bachelor party and wedding

Larson has CC permit, and he owns handgun and two rifles, but not a 20-gauge shot gun

The 20-gauge murder weapon has not been found

Larson sat 6 days in jail where officers tried to tell him he was crazy, he says, but was released

Decker’s body found by his car 100 feet from Winner’s bar in well-lit illuminated area

Larson would have had to pop two shots, then run 100 feet and ditch the weapon without being seen

When investigators were asked if Reiter was suspect, they said they aren’t ruling anyone out

Reiter is on administrative leave but investigators say he has been cooperating

A black minivan with loud exhaust was seen leaving Winner’s bar around time of shooting going west

So what are your thoughts ATS? Many theories are being tossed around, to the other cop did it by accident or purposely, but why would he. Maybe Decker stumbled on a bad drug deal. It was behind a bar after all.

edit on 17-12-2012 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Seemed like mass confusion that night as far as the police. I think this might be part of the reason they let the suspect go.

minnesota.publicradio.org...

Seems the cops made some major mistakes from the word go. Interesting case.

m.startribune.com...

edit on 18-12-2012 by jam321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
They're saying that Larson had to go immediately into his apartment because the scene was covered with cops and people right away, so he had no possible way to go anywhere and ditch the murder weapon. He never came in or out during that hour before they went in for him, so that's where the confusion comes in and locals are starting to think he may be innocent. The other cop, Reiter, is where suspicions now lie because they say his description of events don't match up. Yeah, it's pretty interesting.
edit on 18-12-2012 by Rezlooper because: misspelled word

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

The other cop, Reiter, is where suspicions

Very suspicious. Hard to believe he arrived first and stayed in the car when his partner got there. From what I read. took them about 30 minutes to secure the crime scene. Plenty of time to let the killer go.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Why don't they try this hard to solve cases with every crime??

$100,000 reward would make a lot of people talk, and put all criminals behind bars, WHERE THEY BELONG!

I don't like hearing stories about how hard they try to protect "their own".......Regular tax paying citizens are their PAYCHECK!! They should try harder with regular people IMO.....

Sad to see anyone die this way, but I expect more effort across the board, not just with cops or "higher ups"......People are not below them.....

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein

Why don't they try this hard to solve cases with every crime??

$100,000 reward would make a lot of people talk, and put all criminals behind bars, WHERE THEY BELONG!

I don't like hearing stories about how hard they try to protect "their own".......Regular tax paying citizens are their PAYCHECK!! They should try harder with regular people IMO.....

Sad to see anyone die this way, but I expect more effort across the board, not just with cops or "higher ups"......People are not below them.....

I agree 100% - This is one case that won't get shoved into the cold case files for a very long time like so many other cases do much more quickly. Murder is murder anyway you slice it. Sure cops are respected in another way because they risk their lives for our safety every day, but still, if someone lost a loved to a senseless murder we'd think differently about it, and we'd sure appreciate some organization coming along and offering up a $100,000 reward.

join