It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thanks to All the Brits...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
You don't need the Brits on the forums to thank (though I'm sure they're doing a wonderful job). It's been all over our TVs, topical talk shows, general morning talk shows etc.
Personally I don't think it will change much whether you keep them or not.
It hasn't changed anything here, people are still getting hold of guns and still killing people.
I can't see that it's going to be an easy job to relieve 400 million people of their arms, and even if those 400 million don't all have guns, some people have guns stock piled, some won't agree with relinquishing their arms and will illegally stash them away.

As for you being 'free' of England, don't be so sure. There is plenty of talk that the US is still answerable to the Queen, pays a large sum of taxes to the UK every year.
I'm not sure I can post certain sources so if these are not allowed, they might be removed, so you'll have to look into it yourself.
www.helpfreetheearth.com...

The United States is still a British Colony

Queen Elizabeth controls and has amended Social Security

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

I never said the solution for you guys ist to ban the guns

1. You're too far past that anyway. 2. It'd be like taking candy from a baby that's wielding a machete! Not gunna happen.

My point is that I don't want guns here in the UK, and thankfully, it's pretty difficult to get one legally and illegally.

As for the US, I have no suggestions, perhaps more a intrusive screening and checkup process to ensure that those that get guns, are sane, and those that have them, are still sane. I'm not aware of the processes you guys have over there so I won't pretend that I know what I'm talking about when it comes to your laws regarding gun control.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   
All this "the Brits don't understand" rhetoric that's appearing on the boards now-
Isn't it something of a diversionary tactic to avoid answering Americans who who are presenting the same gun-control arguments?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Anytime and you're welcome.

Anything else i can do for you?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by fuserleer

You still have 6,000,000 guns in your country.

Most of them seem to be in the hands of criminals.

I don't know why anyone would want to be a victim.

To depend on the police, when you can protect yourself and your family.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   
One last thing, since nothing Europe has to say matters in our affairs and hasn't for over 200 years.

If you don't like us having guns.....

Stay. Out.
edit on 18-12-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-12-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Let me see, where to start?

reply to post by hawkiye

Thanks for reminding us why we separated from you back in 1776!

The War Of Independance in 1776 had absolutely nothing to do with The Right To Bear Arms - apart from spouting jingoistic claptrap I really fail to see what rational and relevant point you are trying to make here.

Thank god for free speech so we know who all the ignorant emasculated neutered folks are.

Indeed.
Yet you criticise other's for expressing their own freely held opinions simply because they don't agree with you?

reply to post by sonnny1

That old chestnut - cherry picking at it's best.

Of course some Brits advocate loosening of UK gun control laws, but the vast majority oppose any such legislation.
Yet you choose to post one video that is heavily edited to give a very one sided, imblalanced and misrepresentative perspective.
The majority of the protesters shown are from the Countryside Alliance protests against the ban on fox hunting and had nothing whatsoever to do with the ban on hand guns.
The video portrays an interview with one policeman who wishes to see a relaxation of gun control law yet ignores the multitude of other police officers who are passionately opposed to any such moves.

So banning guns will stop crazy people from killing others?

Of course not, just not as many.

Criminals get them illegally....is that so hard to understand?

Obviously, especially in countries like the UK where handgun ownership is illegal.
And so it is far harder to obtain handguns, even for criminals.
Which is why gun related crime in the UK is still a very rare thing when compared to the US - yes it is on the increase, and there are various reasons for that and our government needs to start addressing these issues with a matter of urgency, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be a priority with our current government which is obsessed with other matters.

Gun related deaths in the US is about 3 per 100,000.
In the UK it is 0.07 per 100,000.

Gun related deaths in the US are 8 times higher than those of comparable economic and political standing.
en.wikipedia.org...

And our military wont be a part of trying to collect them.

Are you really certain?

However, I don't think it'll ever be likely that they will be asked to do so.

Apparently you haven't learned much about American history.

To be fair, American history isn't high on the agenda for many nations.
And if we are being really honest even in America you only get a heavily edited and one-sided version of it - I suppose the same could be said about most nations.

Brits are the weak ones who let their government take their guns.......see we don't have a monarchy.

The last thing Brits can be called is weak, I respectfully suggest Sir that you try to study some of our history and culture with an open and honest mind to give you a more balanced perspective.

And the fact we have a constitutional monarchy is totally irrelevant to this discussion.

And since you live in a monarchy, it's clear you don't understand how our government works.

How do you work that out?

And by that reasoning you have no idea how any other nation / system works.

You still have 6,000,000 guns in your country.

Most of them seem to be in the hands of criminals.

Nonsense.
The vast majority are legally held by citizens who meet certain legal criteria.

If you don't like us having guns.....

Stay. Out.

Some common ground.

One of the major differences between US and UK culture is the atitude to gun control.
Gun ownership is embedded in the US psyche and is completely different to the UK's.
What is right for one is not right for the other.
If the US wishes to choose to keep their Right To Bear Arms it is entirely up to Americans - same as we freely choose not to have it - neither is a sign of weakness.
I'd suggest that as guns are so common and readily available it would be folly to enforce a carte blance ban on them in the US - but they aren't that common here in the UK and we don't want them to be.

Each to their own.
edit on 18/12/12 by Freeborn because: grammar and clarity

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Since Freeborns already covered the facts, I'll just add - what a complete load of blustering bollocks the OP is full of. Christ did you just deliberately avoid Heffs sentiments in another thread?. Take your hateful thread along with your guns and shove them up your arse!.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
reply to post by Unrealised

Criminals get them illegally....is that so hard to understand?

And the source is often irresponsible LEGAL CARRIERS. Is that so hard to understand.

Don't put the cart before the horse.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

My point was, living in a monarchy, you would be hard pressed to understand what our constitution means to us. History or political lessons are one thing, but they cannot express the truth of living in a country where we are the government and the constitution is our blood.

There will always be loons who try take away our rights under the constitution, fortunately not successfully.

88 out of 100 Americans are armed, legally, that is hard to go up against.

All these arguments are ridiculous.....it doesn't matter what any other country says or the UN or the nut jobs in Washington.

Gun bans don't change crime rates, they get worse.

Ever hear of the Unabomber or Timothy McVeigh? Or countless other murders done by those who did not have guns?

Good ole redneck Tim killed 165 people mostly children with a bomb.

3000 people were killed by planes running into buildings.

There are no safe guards against crazy people, not until Tom Cruise comes along with the pre crime unit.

And by the way, I am a woman......and I shoot a rifle pretty darn well.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

You are proving my point, thank you. Laws and bans do not stop people from committing criminal acts.

The weapon of choice does not matter.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   

My point was, living in a monarchy, you would be hard pressed to understand what our constitution means to us.

Why would I?

You haven't offered any explanation for your reasoning at all.
Yet you feel free to cast disparaging comments and opinions on the systems of other nations.

Of course I undestand The American Constitution, it's ideals and the almost reverantial awe many Americans have for it.

History or political lessons are one thing, but they cannot express the truth of living in a country where we are the government and the constitution is our blood.

Why do you think the US is any different to any other nation?
You are not unique and certainly not the only nation that values freedom.

There will always be loons who try take away our rights under the constitution, fortunately not successfully.

Why is it that the only 'rights' I ever hear Americans talk about is the right to shoot a gun?

Of course there will always be 'loons' - other than The Second Amendment what 'rights' are under threat?

And as far as I am aware Obama has been as clear as can be that The Second Amendment is not under threat.

Gun bans don't change crime rates, they get worse.

I appreciate that you are speaking from an American perspective and as I said before, I believe a gun ban would not be the right thing for the US - but that is a matter for the US alone - but things are different in other countries.
Guns are nowhere near as readily available or as common and we want to keep it that way.

And by the way, I am a woman......and I shoot a rifle pretty darn well.

And I'm a man.....and so do I - but I don't want to own one because I have no need for one.

I have no doubt that if I lived in the US I would want to own a gun of some description.

edit on 18/12/12 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
It's simple....my reasoning is the same as the OPs, the UK needs to stop telling the US to ban guns......period.

And I didn't put down your government, I said it is very different than ours.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   

History or political lessons are one thing, but they cannot express the truth of living in a country where we are the government and the constitution is our blood.

Where you are the Government?

Yeah, right.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   

It's simple....my reasoning is the same as the OPs, the UK needs to stop telling the US to ban guns......period.

Now that is something i think we can agree on.

It is your country, it is up to you how to run it. I wish your government would also respect that in other countries but that is not something i blame the average American for.

It is up to you to find a solution to these mass shootings. The alternative is to simply accept them and that would be a tragedy.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   

And Americans need to stop being arrogant, ignorant and condescending and telling the UK and other countries that they are weak and lacking in moral fibre by not having The Right To Bear Arms - cut's both ways!

And as I've repeatedly stated, I agree, US gun control laws are a matter for Americans alone - but that doesn't mean to say that we aren't allowed an opinion and on a site such as this you shouldn't really be surprised or angry if people express that opinion.

You tried to infer that we are weak and submissive by having a monarchy - do you know what a constituational monarchy is?

Do you truly understand exactly what those differences are?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   

I said you were weak for giving up your right to guns, that is my opinion and I stick by it.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   

So why mention the monarchy?

Inference?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   

I said you were weak for giving up your right to guns, that is my opinion and I stick by it.

Fair enough. Over here, we do not see the need for them. I don't have to worry about gangs coming through my home and attacking me and raping the mrs.

Each to their own. I will take the fist fights and verbal abuse, you can keep the mass shootings and gang bangers.

Deal?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   

It is not weak to recognise that something is bad for society as a whole and that legislation is required to limit it's availability - if anything it is a sign of honesty, maturity and acting responsibly.

Why is it so hard to understand that what is right for the US isn't necessarily right for anywhere else?

ETA
I never thought I'd ever write or believe something like that.

edit on 18/12/12 by Freeborn because: Add ETA

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join