It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rural School Security. . . How is it where you live?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
First of all to the Mods, if this is not the place for this post, please move it for me to the appropriate area. I was unsure. . . and took a chance here with education, even though it is really about security I guess... Guh. Thank you for the help on that.

Hello ATS,

I posted this on another thread, abovetopsecret.com but it made me wonder how other small town schools are as far as security goes so I decided to make it a thread and see what you ATS members had to say.

In this tiny Texas town where I call home, the school has never been "locked up". My kids have been in this school since Kindergarten and I have ALWAYS been able to walk right in... any freaking door... any time of the school day!

It's a way of living that these people are used to and they are taking safety for granted and all of our kids are being placed at a huge risk. When the kids go back to school in January, I will be making a big stink about this. We have been lucky so far and no one has been kidnapped and certainly nothing like what just occurred! But I will do whatever I can to ensure that I will never be able to just walk through any door at anytime!!

A little bit about this school:

Pre-K through 12 is all on the same campus; just lots of different buildings spread out in different areas....Spread over about 10 acres I'm guessing. There are MANY schools laid out this way in small rural areas. (at least around here) My oldest son graduated in a class of 56, just to give an idea of the small size.

I hope that others who read this post will realize the errors in their towns school security if there is something as blatant as this going on in your neck of the woods!! Is this only heard of in tiny towns? I've read so many posts from people on here saying that there schools are always locked up?

I've walked straight into the following areas without going into any of the offices to check-in, with no one questioning why I was there, I had no "tag" to pin on my clothes showing me as a visitor... I have walked passed little children in hallways... etc. This is horrible. All of it.

1. Pre-K hall
2. Kindergarten hall
3. 1st - 5th grade elementary halls
4. 6th - 8th grade middle school halls
5. Nurses office
6. Cafeteria (both when empty and filled to brim with kiddos)
7. Athletics Hall
8. Gymnasium (Girls AND boys. . .)
9. Band Hall
10. High school halls

There are probably more, but I can't think of them now...
I became more and more amazed as I was typing these 10 items... Look at how much I have been allowed to do over the last 9 years of living in this area. That is CRAZY!!???!! I am so thankful that nothing so horrible as what just happened in Sandy Hook has taken place here.

Wow.

Anyway, thank you for any responses or advice on some good tactics to use to get some changes for my children's school. I will be fighting for change while wondering how I could have let this go on this way for so long.

Again, I'm also interested if this type of scenario is a common occurrence and if so. . . WHY?!?!?!
Thanks ATS!

Ed
edit on 17-12-2012 by EdwynaGolden because: Note to Mods on Forum location added to beginning

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Just got this local news update on my phone that comes in around this time nightly. How uncanny to see this after my OP.

m.ktre.com...

Breaking News: Several E. Texas school districts listed without safety plan is part of the story, and apparently there are several schools in this area who are non-compliant.

Its bad that I didn't know there was a law about this very subject... Plus the fact that my particular school isn't listed in the article, but one in this county is!! That school says they have a safety plan but failed to report to the state. Could this mean that my kids school reported compliance but are blowing smoke at the state? Dang. . . WTH is going on here?

edit on 17-12-2012 by EdwynaGolden because: Removed incorrect information about external link

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
What security. The school budgets here are so tight that security is not an option. Hopefully nobody goes crazy up here with a gun.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by EdwynaGolden

I just had a discussion with my son about his High School. It's not a small school, but I'm still concerned.

He says all the doors are locked and they have guards at the 2 entrances. They also have a guy outside the school. You have to stop and tell him why you're there, and he radios the information. It's been this way for a few years now.

When I went there, 17 years ago, there were plenty of unlocked doors...

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Yeah, I happen to live in what is named to be the 2nd poorest county in the state, so I know about the money situation. It's really sad. We have a really nice new football stadium and a new high school wing, a brand new big boys athletics building, but nothing on the security side of things. I'm all for football and athletics, my son plays. . . but for a school this size, I think they could have spent something on a security plan. I am going to do whatever I can to make sure they start!

I hope nothing like that happens ever again anywhere rickymouse.

Stay safe!

edit on 18-12-2012 by EdwynaGolden because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightSunshine
reply to post by EdwynaGolden

I just had a discussion with my son about his High School. It's not a small school, but I'm still concerned.

He says all the doors are locked and they have guards at the 2 entrances. They also have a guy outside the school. You have to stop and tell him why you're there, and he radios the information. It's been this way for a few years now.

When I went there, 17 years ago, there were plenty of unlocked doors...

Yeah, it could happen in any size school I suppose, but the larger ones seem to be the ones with the most security since they have the most money.
That's really good that they lock the doors at your school and have a good watch. I hope the will open from the inside and remain locked if trying to get in. . .
All schools should do this, and not only for crazy shooters, but for many other reasons. I mean Something!?! They should do something! I am so alarmed at what I have realized about my kids school now. I just don't know what I can do. Maybe I need to first find out if there are any state laws and what they are, then report this school... maybe go through the community and get a group to attend a school board meeting... perhaps just express my concerns to the school superintendent... I will figure something out, and hope they will change their ways. SOON!

I went to a high school in north Texas; graduated in 1987 with a class of 437. . . It was 1986 when they placed the first armed guard to walk and watch the grounds. Back then it was because so many kids were fighting and skipping class. Not the kind of things we see today. Today, I hear that this school has several guards, metal detectors, and a heck of a lot more security.
Yep, times have changed. Our kids are in real danger and in a place where we presume safety and should be able to do so.

new topics

top topics

join