posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:45 AM
Originally posted by nrd101
I think if Yellowstone popped off the whole world would feel it. volcano's are stronger and more dangerous to us then earthquakes. If we have a mega
volcano like Yellowstone, it would be an extinction level event for all but bunker-ed souls. A 10 would be devastating no doubt, but mega volcanoes
are where the doom lies.
Not just Yellowstone. There is 5 Supervolcanoes in North America that could trigger the extinction level event.
- Island Park Caldera VEI-8, last eruption 2,1 million years ago
- La Garita Caldera VEI-8, last eruption 27,8 million years ago
- Yellowstone Caldera VEI-8, last eruption 640,000 years ago
- Long Valley Caldera VEI-7, last eruption 760,000 years ago
- Valles Caldera VEI-7, last eruption 1,12 million years ago
Island Park Caldera is right next to the Yellowstone, they are dangerous since if other erupts, other could erupt as well. La Garita is thought to be
most dangerous supervolcano, its eruption is one of most energetic events that have happened on Earth. Its eruption was equivalent with 5,000 Tsar
Bombas, or 240 000 Megatons of TNT. Good thing is that its now thought to be extinct, but you never know for sure.
And of course there is 3 Supervolcanoes in Europe, 5 in Asia and 5 in Southeast Asia/Oceania area.
edit on 19-12-2012 by Thebel because: (no