It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School gun range uproar as Ballarat High School and Beaufort Secondary College students sent for sho

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

A VICTORIAN high school has defended its decision to take students as young as 12 on a shooting expedition two days after the Sandy Hook massacre.

More than 50 students, aged between 12 and 15, from Ballarat High School and Beaufort Secondary College attended the Beaufort Gun Club yesterday where they were taught to wield rifles and fire up to 20 rounds each.

Source news

Gun Control Australia secretary David Stack said the excursion was idiotic following the US tragedy.

So we have a double edged sword, two headed dragon, double barrel shotgun!

People get all fussed about things and the "oh my crowd" says their two cents worth and the whole place turns into a shark feeding media frenzy. Talk about guns. I think we will be talking about guns for a while. Obviously the whole thing has touched peoples hearts.

Sometime people in Australia are rather backward when important things are presented and it seems no matter how everyone tries to do the right thing you just can't please everyone. We already have tight gun control.

"It crossed my mind (to cancel the event) . . . but do you stop teaching swimming because someone drowned?" he said.

So do you stop teaching children to swim if there is a drowning reported in the media? Ummm no

So teaching kids to be responsible with firearms is a good thing. I stand by the schools choice to continue on their programe

Have they made the right choice though?
edit on 17-12-2012 by magma because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
In a way, isn't this like foreign interference?

It happened in the US yet the Australians are treating it as if it had happened there?

Suspect.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
i love it....finally teaching people about guns the right way.
Hands on instruction, teaching them to respect the power of the tool.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

It happened in the US yet the Australians are treating it as if it had happened there?

Suspect.

Yep part of the bigger agenda. it is like at work you get a brief as to what it is that you will be doing for a particular task. The media have a brief and it is to assist in the disarming of the American people.

Australia is so far up the *** of the USA that there is no daylight

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by magma

Suspect.

Yep part of the bigger agenda. it is like at work you get a brief as to what it is that you will be doing for a particular task. The media have a brief and it is to assist in the disarming of the American people.

Australia is so far up the *** of the USA that there is no daylight

There is a bigger agenda people just have to see its on a way bigger scale than what we percieve.

There is reason to think the Port Arthur massacre was planned as early 1987 when, after a specially called Premier's meeting in Hobart in December 1987, the New South Wales Labour Premier, Mr. Barry Unsworth stated, "there would be no effective gun control in Australia until there was a massacre in Tasmania"

members.iimetro.com.au...

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I think too many people are watching "The Walking Dead" with little Carl running around with a weapon. That's what is. They think it should be okay for kids to strut around with weapons while their minds haven't even developed yet.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Suspect.

Get a grip sunshine, foreign interference pfft, if you didnt know it australia held the record for deaths in a mass shooting up untill recently so its only natural this might have touched a few hearts here.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
I think too many people are watching "The Walking Dead" with little Carl running around with a weapon. That's what is. They think it should be okay for kids to strut around with weapons while their minds haven't even developed yet.

Oh yeah like this episode!

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Actually need to disagree here. I think it actually educates people, not just the kids, but the adults and the community. How can this be a bad thing?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by repeatoffender

Get a grip sunshine, foreign interference pfft, if you didnt know it australia held the record for deaths in a mass shooting up untill recently so its only natural this might have touched a few hearts here.

Great record to hold wasn't it?

Records are meant to be broken.

Wonder if Martin Bryant feels the same way?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Actually need to disagree here. I think it actually educates people, not just the kids, but the adults and the community. How can this be a bad thing?

It it will go bad when something doesn't go their way.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Great record to hold wasn't it?

Records are meant to be broken.

Wonder if Martin Bryant feels the same way?

good question, I wonder, how does he feel, because when the police spoke to him on the phone at the seascape he told them he was making sandwiches and cups of tea for people?
well you guys kept trying and trying and then brevic came along and took it, America land of the gns and mass shootings cant even top the list

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Sorry but in the middle towards the end look at their demeanor and the way they are looking at each other. They were looking to use that gun that night. Maybe not the one in the grey sweatshirt but the one in the blue jacket.

The body Language on both of them were suspicious.
edit on 17-12-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Sorry but in the middle towards the end look at their demeanor and the way they are looking at each other. They were looking to use that gun that night. Maybe not the one in the grey sweatshirt but the one in the blue jacket.

The body Language on both of them were suspicious.

that is just a racist comment

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
You know, I've come to the realization that I'm not even going to justify this.

Look at the video and the argument.

If you can't figure that out, then that's your problem.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

America land of the gns and mass shootings cant even top the list

That says alot then doesn't it.

I guess the point of the thread was about the schoolkids at the shooting range though.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

So do you stop teaching children to swim if there is a drowning reported in the media? Ummm no

So teaching kids to be responsible with firearms is a good thing. I stand by the schools choice to continue on their programe

So it seems there is two issues that are being discussed here.
1. Is it right, in a land of tight gun control, for schools to be teaching shooting?
2. If so, is it right to do it at this moment in time?

My thoughts are...
1. No. Given how appallingly badly Australian students rate compared to others worldwide, they need to spend more time in classrooms learning Readin, Ryting, Rithmatic. Less time on fun excursions, no matter how worldly interesting they might seem.

2. Yes. If the decision has already been made to go, then it should proceed.
Just because some Primary students in another country were killed, shouldnt stop Secondary students doing something on the complete other side of the planet. Its not like Colombians would stop travelling on schoolbusses if there was a horrible bus tragedy in Pakistan. Or that Ukranians would stop playing basketball if there was some huge basketball tragedy in Chile.
Nor should they.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

My thoughts are...
1. No. Given how appallingly badly Australian students rate compared to others worldwide, they need to spend more time in classrooms learning Readin, Ryting, Rithmatic. Less time on fun excursions, no matter how worldly interesting they might seem.

It is important to have a blend of excursions and classroom work. The 3 R's are also very important. I guess though the kids who can't spell very well will at least be able to handle a gun. And the kids who can spell well will also be able handle a gun. So really the idea of gun education in schools is probably undebunkable.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Big deal, When I was in high school, kids were sent off to get their firearms license. I don't see nothing wrong with it. At least they are getting some sort of education about the weapons.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Seriously, there is no hope for you people allocating gun control to kids .."for whatever ever reason, and if it never goes their way, they WILL use them, with any means necessary"..even with bullies.

Doesn't give them the right shoot them.

Which you are advocating..

Some of you are mindless.

Teaching a 5 to 7 to 12 yr old?

Think people.

I want his shoes, no you can't have my shoes.. Bam...........A child dead because he wouldn't give up the shoes.

That's what we need, a bunch of idiots running around that we already got running around with guns, so we need more to control it.

When you can be responsible enough, then you can own a gun or be trained to have one.

Which is way past 12 years old.
edit on 18-12-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join