It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NRA goes on lockdown

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
They're going to say something soon apparently:

Sources close to the issue tell Fox News that the National Rifle Association -- which has remained silent since the shooting, chiefly to allow for a proper period for mourning -- will soon start to "push back" against the gun-control lobby.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
OP: Yes it does seem strange for them to go silent during this tragedy but then again I've never been a follower of the NRA so I don't know their protocol for things like this. Like another poster said they responded shortly after the Aurora shooting and I can't blame them for their stance. Maybe the leadership/members would rather wait until some of the pain has subsided to make a comment.

However, I don't feel their silence subtracts from the massacre that happened last Friday in CT. Everybody and their relatives have an opinion on what happened, some (read a lot) are basing their opinions on what the media have reported so far which as far as we know isn't accurate at all.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
www.ijreview.com... they are talking now or atleast releasing a statement that they are having a press confrence on the 21st of December

National Rifle Association of America is made up of four million moms and dads, sons and daughters – and we were shocked, saddened and heartbroken by the news of the horrific and senseless murders in Newtown. Out of respect for the families, and as a matter of common decency, we have given time for mourning, prayer and a full investigation of the facts before commenting. The NRA is prepared to offer meaningful contributions to help make sure this never happens again. The NRA is planning to hold a major news conference in the Washington, DC area on Friday, December 21.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
....love to help out..so here are my ideas

1) ban automatic weapons
2) track and account for guns, the same way as ammo.
3) regulate the commercial/industry of public weapons.
4) offer an amensty day, for people to get rid of their "illegal" weapons

that would be a start....then later, work out how to keep responsible peoples weapons, out of the hands of minors, relatives, friends.

i dont think the "semi automatic" is an issue....though smaller magazines could be a good idea

i manitain that the most devastating weapon should be a shotgun....hard to kill many people with that, but brilliant for intruders...all you got to do is cok it...they hate that sound lol

peace
edit on 18-12-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh

1) ban automatic weapons

that would be a start....then later, work out how to keep responsible peoples weapons, out of the hands of minors, relatives, friends.

i dont think the "semi automatic" is an issue....though smaller magazines could be a good idea

i manitain that the most devastating weapon should be a shotgun....hard to kill many people with that, but brilliant for intruders...all you got to do is cok it...they hate that sound lol

peace

1, they are already highly restricted, and no one has ever used an automatic weapon in one of those rampages.
2, Like the Canadian gun registry? The one that was useless and cost 100 times what it was supposed to? The one they finally just threw up their hands in disgust on and got rid of?
3, the fire arms industry is already regulated.
4, like Canada, and Australia did? That worked well, didn’t it?

If my uncle has a groundhog problem and he needs to use the 22 for a while, that would be a no go?

With smaller mags, his killing rampage would have only taken a few seconds longer.

Shotguns are some of the most lethal close quarters weapons you will find. That is why it would also be ideal for a mass killing like just happened. With a few speed loading tubes, he could have easily performed the same slaughter with a pump shotgun.

It sounds like you just running around hollering “we got to do something” and just trying to make up stuff on the fly that “sounds good”, No mater how ineffective it will be in real life. Just like the politicians will do.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
The NRA is no more than controlled opposition, just like Ron Paul is. It's easier to control opposing parties grouped up together like animals ready to be slaughtered.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

1) ban automatic weapons

peace

Mr Tranny already did a good job of responding to you, but I wanted to also comment on the list.

1. Automatic weapons are already banned. You can't go in and buy an automatic weapon from anyone, any time. You have to apply and pay for special permits from ATF in order to use automatic weapons legally. This is a non issue, what you suggest has already been done.

2. A.Shotguns and rifles, at least where I live are able to be purchased without any waiting period, or special permit. You still have to submit to a background check though. They still know who is buying what, although you don't have to register it with the police. At the same rate, pistols can't be purchased without getting a permit prior to getting the pistol, and they HAVE to be registered with the police department. For instance I had to drive all over the city and wait a day to get my 8+1 round PK.380. On the other hand I walked right into Cabellas and bought/walked out with a .22 LR assault rifle. Go in give them money and walk out, with a 30 round magazine to boot. B. Ammo is not tracked or accounted for at all, period. I walk in and buy what ever ammo I want, as long as I can prove my age. No records what so ever. As well I can make my own ammo at home.

3. You think the firearm industry is unregulated at the moment? Do you know the definition of regulation?

4. Police departments offer amnesty turn ins all the time, or at least used to. Criminals aren't going to turn in a gun just because they aren't supposed to have one. They have them for a reason, self defense or to commit crimes. They don't illegally possess firearms just for fun.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
All these anti-gun threads have one thing in common - ban the gun, ban the gun. What about the poor souls that are suffering from mental illness that the American government has seemed to given up on?

Go after the root causes of these mass shootings, then you might be getting somewhere. Otherwise you are just punishing law abiding citizens.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
when i said regulation i mean

from manufacturing, to retail....the "back office"...suppliers quotas on assault rifles etc

also,

things like 2 gun maximum

not being able to buy a tank at a second hand market.

not being given a free pistol in any advertising campaign

i dunno, just brainstorming...TBH, i dont know your gunlaws..im in UK

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

1) ban automatic weapons

peace

It is why i keep a Taurus Judge next to the bed. I load it with .410 shotgun shells, but can put in .45 cal anytime i feel a need. It is the perfect rattlesnake gun while hunting, too.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
What could the NRA say in defense of total unregulated gun ownership this time? Any statement from the NRA concerning the recent shoot would come off as asinine and spark more outrage than support for them. It is pretty much a P.R. thing. Many little kids were killed this time. It is one of the darkest killing in US history. People are not interested in hearing what the NRA has to say about this right now. I think the entire nation is taking a step back and thinking about the current gun laws. Even the most hardcore support of gun rights must be checking their own morality at this point and time; at least I hope they are human enough to do so.

I mean, something really sick and twisted has happened. The NRA knows this and is smart enough to keep silent for a while. I am sure there will some kind of attempt to place some kind of national restriction on guns next year and the NRA has to be ready for that. If they go flying off the rails about gun rights now, it will only hurt them in the long run.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by sputniksteve

On the other hand I walked right into Cabellas and bought/walked out with a .22 LR assault rifle. Go in give them money and walk out, with a 30 round magazine to boot.

I agree with everything you said except this. Since when is a .22 considered an assault rifle? It might be "assault-style" but no military in the world uses .22 as a major round.
edit on 12/18/12 by thov420 because: ETA: proper quotes

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by thov420

Originally posted by sputniksteve

On the other hand I walked right into Cabellas and bought/walked out with a .22 LR assault rifle. Go in give them money and walk out, with a 30 round magazine to boot.

I agree with everything you said except this. Since when is a .22 considered an assault rifle? It might be "assault-style" but no military in the world uses .22 as a major round.
edit on 12/18/12 by thov420 because: ETA: proper quotes

I have the same contention.

The first rifle my son ever bought was a Ruger made .22 LR that is set up like an AR-15. Craptacular gun, to be honest....but it is an assault rifle by all appearances.

Which is really the litmus test for assault rifles, at least in the eyes of the populace. To them, what looks like a duck quacks like a duck. Even though it is a platypus.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Does it happen to be a 10/22 because a buddy of mine had one when I was younger and it was a super reliable/dependable rifle. I've wanted one myself ever since.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
tut tut

its all about due diligence....the president has to show that hes doing something

if you like and know about guns so much, then help out and dish some ideas.

what can they do to stop these things happening?...how to get guns away from 90% late teens and young adults

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
It is why i keep a Taurus Judge next to the bed. I load it with .410 shotgun shells, but can put in .45 cal anytime i feel a need. It is the perfect rattlesnake gun while hunting, too.

i just googled it

i mean wow...what a conveniant little "wonder"...the shells are so cute lololol

ive honestly never seen one, i never even thought of the concept of making a handheld shot gun.

boyy lol, you must feel invincible with that.... jason, exorcist, kruger... who!!! booyaw

neat little piece, thanks for sharing......(time to remove that address from santas list, heatlh and safety lol)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

Well as far as I've read the kid in the CT shooting wasn't even old enough to buy the guns he used so the blame falls on the parents not locking up their guns like they are supposed to. How do you force people to lock up their guns responsibly? Or more importantly, how do you teach your kids not to shoot up other little kids who did nothing wrong in this world?

Some things can't be regulated no matter how many laws you throw at it.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by thov420
reply to post by thePharaoh

Well as far as I've read the kid in the CT shooting wasn't even old enough to buy the guns he used so the blame falls on the parents not locking up their guns like they are supposed to. How do you force people to lock up their guns responsibly? Or more importantly, how do you teach your kids not to shoot up other little kids who did nothing wrong in this world?

Some things can't be regulated no matter how many laws you throw at it.

erm...surprise visits to licence holders premises...though its a bit intrusive

everyone at residence address is part of the licence agreement.

i dunno...but there are a million ways....make a bespoke one that works for all of the licence holders....its up to them to contribute, or others (like me) will contribute for you.

do your part, or someone else well....out of touch people like me lol...but i admit i know squat about gun laws!! lol

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ausername

What killed all of those children in that school was evil, pure EVIL, it found its way into the troubled soul of a young man and.... ?

[...]

It wont, not in this country, evil will always find a way, especially here in the USA.

You are personally responsible for that evil.

How so?

Because you let this happen. You weren't kind to a stranger. You didn't stand up to the bullies at school. You didn't care about the 2 million dead Iraqi children. You didn't vote.

You didn't say no.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Riddle me this, antigunners...

If there was an "assault weapons" ban in the US for the decade between 1994 and 2004, how then did these gun massacres occur...?

1994 Fairchild AFB killings - 5 dead, 23 wounded

1995 Corpus Christi Tx. Walter Rossler Co. killings - 6 dead, 0 wounded

1996 Ft Lauderdale killings - 6 dead, 1 injured

1997 Aiken killings - 4 dead, 3 wounded

1997 Orange Cal. Caltrans killings - 5 dead, 2 wounded

1998 Thurston High School Killings - 4 dead, 25 wounded

1998 Jonesboro Westside Middle School killings - 5 daed, 10 wounded

1999 Columbine High School killings - 15 dead, 24 wounded

1999 Fort Worth Tx. Wedgwood Baptist Church killings - 8 killed, 7 wounded

1999 Atlanta day trading killings - 9 dead, 13 wounded

1999 Tampa hotel killings - 5 dead, 3 wounded

2003 Meridian Lockheed Martin killings - 7 dead, 8 wounded

2004 Columbus Ohio concert killings - 5 dead, 7 injured

And that's just the gun massacres between 1994 and 2004 brought up by a quick google search. That assault weapons ban was supposed to stop such events from occurring. There are at least 75 graves which provide stark testimony about the effectiveness of the last assault weapons ban. It was a failure.

In short, the assault weapons ban achieved nothing except make the more rabid of the anti-gunners feel better about having "done something". Feelgood Inc.

Here's a novel idea - how about diverting the money which will be used to lobby for and promote the upcoming assault weapons ban towards improving mental health systems. No weapons ban can stop the next massacre. Improved mental health support may just be able to stop it before the next deranged gunman even has the idea to touch a weapon.
edit on 18-12-2012 by nottelling because: spelling

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join