It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NRA goes on lockdown

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
The NRA is doing the decent thing and keeping silent for the time being out of respect to the dead. There is a time and a place for engaging in petty political battles over firearms legislation, and this is neither.

The anti-gunners disgust me - the innocent victims of this tragic gun massacre are not even in the ground and the antis are using what happened for political point-scoring.

Michael Moore's tweet disgusts me - black humour is one thing, but not at this time and not when talking about this subject - "poignant" my ass. Opportunistic and insensitive more like it.

The blood is in the water and the anti-gunners are circling.

Slick politics and propaganda will win out over decency - again. US firearms owners, prepare for a VERY different legislative environment in the near future. The days of the evil black rifle and high-capacity magazines are almost over and yet nothing will be done about mental health support.

Banning certain classes of firearms will be a bandaid solution at best. Next whackjob who gets all melancholy and wants to take out a classroom full of kids might mow down the school bus line in a stolen SUV. Maybe they'll use an improvised gasoline bomb. Maybe they'll get a job at a milk processing plant and add a bit of ricin to the flavoured milk. Maybe they'll... you get the picture.

Mass casualty events don't require a firearm - all it takes is one unhinged individual with an overactive imagination.
edit on 18-12-2012 by nottelling because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

some normally staunch "gun supporters" are beginining to waver in their support for "guns at any cost"
surely you jest ?
silence has always been a form of "respect" or is that new to you?
the boards gone quiet are PUBLIC boards ... why is that a problem or suspicious ?

the public debates on here are bad enough, could you imagine what they'd be like there ?
i wouldn't have kept them open either.

besides, after reading your linked story, i have to agree with the general concept ... they are being both respectful and patient while diligently designing their response to the flurry of ANTI material being presented to Congress members.

nothing wrong with that.
that IS what their members pay them to do.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
The NRA sure had no problem running their mouths, begging for donations, and politicizing the Aurora shooting.

NRA asked for donations days after Aurora massacre, claiming rights were at stake

Read more: www.nydailynews.com...

They are silent now because of all the negative press they received from this^
edit on 18-12-2012 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by WaterBottle
The NRA sure had no problem running their mouths, begging for donations, and politicizing the Aurora shooting.

NRA asked for donations days after Aurora massacre, claiming rights were at stake

Read more: www.nydailynews.com...

They are silent now because of all the negative press they received from this^
edit on 18-12-2012 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

You know as well as I do that the NRA's leadership were as horrified by the Newtown massacre as we all are. It's good to see the NRA learning from its mistakes.

Their Aurora-period pro-gun campaign was a direct response to the anti-gunners politicising and capitalising on that tragedy. The NRA should never have engaged them at their level so soon after the Colorado gun massacre - it was stupid, it was disgusting, and it was highly disrespectful of both sides to use the deaths of innocent cinema-goers for political point-scoring even before all the families of the deceased had been notified.

The antis are doing it again as predicted and I am glad the NRA is not engaging them. It's an issue that requires serious, mature, open-minded debate - something which won't occur while the antis are foaming at the mouth.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   

sooo why should they make comments in the first place???? why do they need to apologize for a crazy person breaking the law??

why do they need to make a comment? they should have never made comments about any shooting in the first place.

edit on 18-12-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Usually it has no problems expressing its condolonces - which I do not doubt are always genuine.

but the enormity of the Sandyhook shooting tragedy seems to be a bit much even for them as some normally staunch "gun supporters" are beginining to waver in their support for "guns at any cost" (see the links for a couple of examples, and yes I know those are not "proper" terms that is why I put them in quotes)

www.politico.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Not sure where you get your news.

Guns shows had their best days this weekend. The PTB flubbed up....AGAIN. Instead of causing people to scream "help me help me", more are "helping themselves".

Step on an ant bed and see what happens.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I think its a smart move. Let the anti-gun folks make compete fools of themselves.

Sometimes the best thing to do when someone is on an irrational tirade is to let them have the floor. They will do far more damage to their credibility than anyone else could ever do.

DC

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I am a member also, 6 years. We both know the pros and cons to this stale debate. I still have my NRA stickers on my car, and I am proud to have them. There is nothing wrong with this organization. Period.

People forget that the NRA helped pass gun regulations in 1968. In the last decade they helped pass laws that give states incentives to ensure they provide records to the FBI for the NICS. They have championed federal punishment of people using guns in crimes. They have pushed for tougher prosecution of people that lie on ATF paper work to obtain weapons.

The NRA fights for a balance between the right to self defense and hunting and the need to control access. Their position isn't always popular, but it is far from what their detractors portray.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by NarrowGate

In this post you have admitted that you feel the NRA is responsible for the killings? Or is that not how you feel?

What does the NRA have to regret here? Not pressing hard enough for people to be allowed to carry guns in schools?

Personally, i sincerely support the 2nd amendment, even though i'm not an American (i'm British) and the right, as laid down in the American constitution, to arms in order to protect one's family and self against those that would seek to harm you...i see nothing wrong with that, at all.

Having said that, i don't feel that guns should be in schools..hear me out, not guns that fire bullets anyway.

Why can't teachers and school staff be equipped with tranquilizer guns instead? High tech, rapid fire, potent drug tranq rounds, would take a horse down.

That way, if something like this happened again (and let's face it, it probably will) the shooter (or axeman, swordsman etc) will be taken down and still be alive to face punishment and probably more importantly, alive and able to be questioned as to why some people seem to snap and go on a killing spree...if there's a common denominator, future events may be prevented or reduced.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by nottelling

The response I gave, was actually the reason WHY the NRA isn't talking about it.

NONE of those in this thread, pushing agenda have responded to it.

Typical.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I absolutely think they are doing the right thing by staying silent. They are damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

If they did come out with a message of condolence, anti-gun people would criticize them soundly. There are no condolences, so they are still being criticized. Yeah, so much less classy than the mainstream media who can talk about nothing else, and can't give the poor families a rest

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
It`s best that the NRA say nothing at this time because no matter what they say the liberal MSM will find a way to use it against them and demonize them. It`s best that the NRA remain silent and not give the liberal MSM any ammunition.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by sputniksteve
And? What do you want or expect them to say? Would what they say help anyone through this tragedy?

I fail to see how the failure of the National Rifle Association to make a statement is news or relavent.

Has the ACLU made a statement considering this event? Should politico be writing stories about them as well?

Such a lame attempt to make this about something it's not. Utterly ridiculous.

The media doesn't understand how a organization doesn't want to turn this into something about themselves? How fitting. So tired of it all.
edit on 12/17/2012 by sputniksteve because: (no reason given)

The NRA is known for making noise to justify the ownership of guns after these tragedies. That is why this instance is different. They go silent for a day, maybe two. But in this instance they have quite literally almost vanished, refusing any contact at all, releasing no statements for four days.

I agree that a group known for promoting use and ownership of guns is not likely to be making preaching statements about how "guns don't kill people...", it would be insensitive, and people would be attacking them if they even dared to do that.

But the fact is that this silence IS unprecedented.

I think it's possibly an indication that some of those within the organization have had a change of heart. How could they not? There are numerous ideas out there of a compromise, allowing the ownership of small arms while keeping more powerful weapons in designated storage areas on licensed practice ranges, and I think there are a lot of sane people within the NRA now looking at this as a genuine alternative.

Sometimes people do accept the facts, the evidence, reason... and I think there are probably a lot of people within the NRA right now reassessing their stance and considering whether their preaching is worth it, who benefits, and how things could change for the better if only they were not so stubborn and ignorant of the truth.
edit on 18-12-2012 by detachedindividual because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
And if ANYONE wonders why the NRA social Media sites are down.............How many posts like these would have been hitting their respective sites?

@BayAreaHouston is not just any random Twitter user. He is John Cobarruvias, a Democratic Party precinct chair in Houston, according to Houston blog Big Jolly Politics. (Update: He is also member of the State Democratic Executive committee.) After calling for shooting NRA members “and everyone who defends them,” Cobarruvias turned around and called the target of his incitement to violence a “domestic terrorist organization.” Self-aware much?

Post-Newtown witch hunt: NRA president and members bombarded with death threats

Ironic and sick talk, to say the least.......

But NO agenda here........

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

We have watched similar behavior in the last few election cycles, too. Not pointing a finger at either side on that, either....although one side was guilty of it quite a bit more than the other side based on my memory and perception.

Regardless, something I have thought about is how the internet has politically energized younger folks, and given them a stage to speak from as equals to everyone else (as the internet is generally a level playing field).

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I hear you.

I think social Media is a blessing and a curse. It gives people a Soapbox, but also it gives those with agendas a soapbox without any self control......As seen with those calling for NRA member's deaths.

The NRA being silent is respectful. It also keeps those with an agenda, on social media silent too, especially on their respective Social Media pages.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
If all the teachers are carrying, how long before an adventurous kid gets hold of teachers gun, and makes some kills of his own? I guess that's okay though, because the other teachers will be able to use their guns to gun down the kid with the gun.

I'm sure it will be fine, kids don't play with things they're not supposed to, anyway.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
anyone hear about the anti gun tweeters threatening to shoot the NRA member?

NUTS

Democratic Party leader: Call to shoot NRA members not a death threat
www.examiner.com...

NRA Leaders and Members Getting Death Threats

townhall.com...

and regarding Michael Moore, what do you want to bet he owns a gun.

edit on 083131p://bTuesday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: OOPS SONNY BEAT ME TO IT.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I was surprised it didn't get its OWN thread.......

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
anyone hear about the anti gun tweeters threatening to shoot the NRA member?

NUTS

Democratic Party leader: Call to shoot NRA members not a death threat
www.examiner.com...

NRA Leaders and Members Getting Death Threats

townhall.com...

and regarding Michael Moore, what do you want to bet he owns a gun.

edit on 083131p://bTuesday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: OOPS SONNY BEAT ME TO IT.

Michael Moore admitted on the Larry King show that he owned a gun in 2008. He said he did not really need it though, because he is 'well protected" of course that protection is from others who own guns, go figure. He is really one of the most hypocritical Hollywood mouthpieces to ever exist.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join