It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NRA goes on lockdown

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

NRA goes on lockdown

www.politico.com

It’s shuttered its Facebook page. It’s silent on Twitter. It’s released no public statements on its website. It isn’t responding to media inquiries. And it hasn’t launched an aggressive push on Capitol Hill to shore up support among its allies.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.msnbc.msn.com
tv.msnbc.com

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Usually it has no problems expressing its condolonces - which I do not doubt are always genuine.

but the enormity of the Sandyhook shooting tragedy seems to be a bit much even for them as some normally staunch "gun supporters" are beginining to waver in their support for "guns at any cost" (see the links for a couple of examples, and yes I know those are not "proper" terms that is why I put them in quotes)

www.politico.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

I do not blame them. I myself do not like people telling me I want children to die because I support the 2nd amendment, and believe the shooter would have shot less children had someone shot him first.

I do find it strange, though. I am sure people will start claiming that the gun grabbers are coming, and this is sure-fire proof of that. Myself, I think they just don't want to make a statement publicly about something so tragic and delicate.

+34 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
And? What do you want or expect them to say? Would what they say help anyone through this tragedy?

I fail to see how the failure of the National Rifle Association to make a statement is news or relavent.

Has the ACLU made a statement considering this event? Should politico be writing stories about them as well?

Such a lame attempt to make this about something it's not. Utterly ridiculous.

The media doesn't understand how a organization doesn't want to turn this into something about themselves? How fitting. So tired of it all.
edit on 12/17/2012 by sputniksteve because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sputniksteve

Exactly. Nothing they could do or say right now would be benificial for anyone. They are already being demonized all over in the media so why should they play the game. I think we will hear from them eventually but for now I believe they are doing the right thing. They don't want to fuel the anti-gun propaganda anymore than it already is right now.
edit on 17/12/12 by usmc0311 because: poor spelling.

+12 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I dont see their silence as a fault. I see their silence as a validation. Yellow Journalism, and those that want strict rules, or the outright ban, are willing to demonize ANYONE who has ties to this organization. Funny how those in Congress utilize "bodyguards with guns", or "Police with guns". As you see, they are trained and responsible with them. Too bad those who are calling for an end to the 2nd Amendment dont realize the cost of their freedoms....

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I think their silence is more of the high road than the people immediately politicizing this for gun control. Especially after comments like the Democratic chair guy from Houston made.

I'm sure we will hear from them if any traction is made with some of these 'bans' that are being rumored to be discussed.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
Usually it has no problems expressing its condolonces - which I do not doubt are always genuine.

Actually, it does this after every shooting...hunkers down, waits for the storm to blow over, then picks right back up with it's lobbying efforts.

But, this time, more lawmakers with an NRA A-rated stamp of approval seem amiable to compromise so I have no doubt they will come out swinging soon.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I'm a member of the NRA. Not because I sought them out, either. It is more that in my county there is 1 shooting range. It is run by a collective of regular folks who just wanted a place to shoot lawfully. To use the range, you have to join the NRA to gain access to the insurance. The only reason I am a member is because of the groups fear of liability.

Understandable, and worth the $25 annual fee.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Actually, it does this after every shooting...hunkers down, waits for the storm to blow over, then picks right back up with it's lobbying efforts.

Not only that but you can't provide the slightest appearance of defending the indefensible.

You can't push an agenda of freedom against a push against that freedom while the deaths of children are being exploited.

link   

“I’m sure the NRA considers itself in a lose-lose situation regarding communications,” said Jonathan Bernstein, a crisis management expert. “When there is that level of anti-gun outrage, there is literally nothing a pro-gun organization can say in the near term.”

Truth is, they are in a lose-lose situation. Given the way the narrative is being seized by opponents of gun rights; the initiative is all their's. Then there is the dynamic in place where the media will not report anything to 'tone down' the outrage, or moderate the heat of the moment... It has become profitable to scrape news out of an open wound... the sting keeps us focused.

It is an interesting but sad fact; they value the wrong aspect of the tragedy... it is more important that they were shot, apparently not so much that they were killed.

Is it me? I thought we would be knee deep in a discussion about the fact that all of a sudden every tragedy is being 'brought to us live!' by some network... unless someone still contends that these horrific violent outbursts haven't been happening for decades?
edit on 18-12-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by sputniksteve
And? What do you want or expect them to say? Would what they say help anyone through this tragedy?

they have generally managed an expression of regret from previous multiple killings.

that they do not do so this time seems to be unusual and hence remarkable.

I fail to see how the failure of the National Rifle Association to make a statement is news or relavent.

I guess that is a shortcoming in your part then.

Such a lame attempt to make this about something it's not. Utterly ridiculous.

The media doesn't understand how a organization doesn't want to turn this into something about themselves? How fitting. So tired of it all.

how do you figure that gun killings will not be "about" the NRA...ever??

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I am a member also, 6 years. We both know the pros and cons to this stale debate. I still have my NRA stickers on my car, and I am proud to have them. There is nothing wrong with this organization. Period.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
sometimes, the best thing to do...is nothing!

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

In this post you have admitted that you feel the NRA is responsible for the killings? Or is that not how you feel?

What does the NRA have to regret here? Not pressing hard enough for people to be allowed to carry guns in schools?

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
One of the NRA's most-often cited refrains regarding crimes of this nature is "if only the victim had been a gun-owner or had a concealed-carry permit, they could have prevented this tragedy..."

Well, Michael Moore made a poignant tweet about that:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

How is the NRA responsible? Do you see any stories about the lack of statements from gun or ammo manufacterers as equally surprising and regrettable?

Again, you are disappointed they aren't making this about themselves, unlike other opportunists?

And im flawed?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Good thing I do not rely on any company or group to secure my rights.
I was born a free man, I will die the same.
I'm just hoping for a happy ending, by myself, maybe in my sleep, not wide awake on my feet defending my rights.

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
One of the NRA's most-often cited refrains regarding crimes of this nature is "if only the victim had been a gun-owner or had a concealed-carry permit, they could have prevented this tragedy..."

Well, Michael Moore made a poignant tweet about that:

Sorry Black, but I cant take ANYTHING this man says, seriously........

edit on 17-12-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by sputniksteve

How is the NRA responsible?

dunno - you tell me?

Do you see any stories about the lack of statements from gun or ammo manufacterers as equally surprising and regrettable?

where did I say anything about the NRA's lack of a statement being "surpising and regrettable"?

Again, you are disappointed they aren't making this about themselves, unlike other opportunists?

I have no idea what this means.

And im flawed?

Everyone is flawed

edit on 17-12-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join