If the Earth reversed rotation, would the magnetic poles automatically reverse as well?

page: 3
0
<< 1  2   >>

log in

join

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful
reply to post by CyberTruth
 


But the Earth is NOT magnetic in nature. What makes you say that?

Because the Earth has a magnetic field, which for all purposes is extremely weak? Again, a magnet that you use to hang up a piece of paper on your fridge is many times more powerful that the Earth's magnetic field.

Again, the Earth's magnetic field is NOT what makes the Earth rotate on it's axis. The magnetic field is a product OF that spin down in the Earth's core.

If our magnetic field were to completely shut down and disappear, the Earth would keep on spinning, because it's a mechanical type of force, NOT magnetic.

It simply amazes me at the amount of people that can't seem to understand some of the most BASIC Earth sciences that are taught in grade school, and instead, insists on making very wild (and incorrect) statements about how things work.
edit on 17-12-2012 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)



soooo you're saying...
mechanical atomic interactions have zero to do with magnetic atomic interactions....
or.. shoudl we say.. less enough of an interaction that it's negligible?




posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful
reply to post by CyberTruth
 


But the Earth is NOT magnetic in nature. What makes you say that?

Because the Earth has a magnetic field, which for all purposes is extremely weak? Again, a magnet that you use to hang up a piece of paper on your fridge is many times more powerful that the Earth's magnetic field.

Again, the Earth's magnetic field is NOT what makes the Earth rotate on it's axis. The magnetic field is a product OF that spin down in the Earth's core.

If our magnetic field were to completely shut down and disappear, the Earth would keep on spinning, because it's a mechanical type of force, NOT magnetic.

It simply amazes me at the amount of people that can't seem to understand some of the most BASIC Earth sciences that are taught in grade school, and instead, insists on making very wild (and incorrect) statements about how things work.
edit on 17-12-2012 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)


I did go to School and Yes Math can be hard but it seems there are other Educated people who do agree that galaxies are magnetic in nature.

First Detection Of Magnetic Field In Distant Galaxy Surprises Astronomers

and

Lasers shine light on galactic magnetic fields
edit on 18-12-2012 by CyberTruth because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by CyberTruth
 

Can you point out where Erik said that magnetic fields do not exist?
Or, can you point out in those articles where it says Earth's rotation is due to its magnetic field?
edit on 12/18/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by CyberTruth
 

Can you point out where Erik said that magnetic fields do not exist?
Or, can you point out in those articles where it says Earth's rotation is due to its magnetic field?
edit on 12/18/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)


I never said the earth's rotation was a product of the Earth's magnetic field. I only agreed with it being a possibilty.

My original question was actually inferring the opposite which would be that the direction of the Earth's rotation would affect the nature of the Earths magnetic field - If we could suspend our belief in the possibility or impossibility of that being able to happen.

Erik seems to believe it has something to do with the spinning of the Earths core and if that is true then if the earth's rotation could reverse it seems to me that that would also affect the spinning of the Earths core as well which could then affect the magnetic field.
edit on 18-12-2012 by CyberTruth because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by CyberTruth
 

Then why bring up galactic magnetic fields.

The rotation of the Earth tends to keep the poles of the magnetic field somewhat aligned with the rotational axis but it does not produce the field or influence its polarity. The Earth's magnetic field has reversed many times, it's rotation has not.
edit on 12/18/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Doesn't the mechanical nature of spin result in electromagnetic fields? Visualize the Earth as a giant gyroscope.

It's a dynamo effect.

Here's a link explaining more, but as the site the article is linked to is down, so are the images. Sorry about that.

maragrace.spintheweb.net...



posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by anjuna
Doesn't the mechanical nature of spin result in electromagnetic fields? Visualize the Earth as a giant gyroscope.

It's a dynamo effect.

Here's a link explaining more, but as the site the article is linked to is down, so are the images. Sorry about that.

maragrace.spintheweb.net...


Thanks for the link - It is interesting that we have recorded stories from various civilizations and religions which lend credence to the notion of reverse rotation of the earth.

It is certainly plausible that if the earth could slow down and reverse that it could do so without destroying everything. The earth rotates at about 1000 mph when measured at the equator.

We have jets that can fly faster than that.

It is just the sheer mass of the earth that make it seem Implausible.

I keep thinking about the Superman movie where he flies around and around the earth in the opposite direction in order to save Lois. Of course not only does he reverse the earths rotation but he also reverses time it self
edit on 18-12-2012 by CyberTruth because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by CyberTruth
 

And how exactly would it be possible to change the rotation of Earth? And if that happened I think magnetic pole shift would be the last thing to worry about.



posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
The earth would only reverse spin if the magnetism stopped, which means the pole shift would be in full swing. It would be a magnetic pole shift that caused earth to stop rotating, by reaching 0 magnetism. So in reality, the pole shift would precede the reverse spin.

Where do you people get this information from? Seems like you doomsday people just make up stories as you go along.
There are planets out there like for example Mars that does currently no longer have a magnetic field, but yet it spins around like it should.
I am starting to think that there is lead in the water supply these days.. You people are getting crazies and crazier by each day.



posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by anjuna
Doesn't the mechanical nature of spin result in electromagnetic fields? Visualize the Earth as a giant gyroscope.

It's a dynamo effect.

Here's a link explaining more, but as the site the article is linked to is down, so are the images. Sorry about that.

maragrace.spintheweb.net...


No.

Else every merry-go-round at every part would be producing electricity.

a electromagnetic field is generated by current flow (electricity flowing through a conductor).
Ferromagnetism is the ability to make certain materials (such as iron) into a magnet by exposure to external magnetic fields.

Simply spinning an object does NOT make it produce a magnetic field simply because it's spinning.



posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Maybe when we get rid of some outdated theories in physics, every merry go round WILL be able to produce electricity! The potential is certainly there.


And if you believe there are molten metals in the core of the Earth, wouldn't that produce this effect?



posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by anjuna
Maybe when we get rid of some outdated theories in physics, every merry go round WILL be able to produce electricity! The potential is certainly there.


And if you believe there are molten metals in the core of the Earth, wouldn't that produce this effect?


No one is stopping you. Go right ahead and get rid of those "outdated theories in physics", many of which lead to you being able to make a post on this forum via an electronic device.......

Go ahead and break out a voltmeter, find a merry go round and try to measure a electrical current flow based upon it's rotation. Break out a Flux meter and measure whatever magnetic field it generates while spinning and come back here and report your findings (or publish a paper on it for peer review).

The Earth's magnetic field is generated not just because the Earth spins on it's axis. There are many other things involved that help create that field. Spinning alone will not produce it.



posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by minkmouse
How does the earth reverse its rotation, I'm trying to visualize the braking, thrusting thing in my mind but damnnn!


If it turned upside down whilst following the same orbit, it would have a reversed rotation reletive to the solar system. ie. it would be spinning the other way than it was before. No brakes needed.



posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by dJbdJb
 


I have also thought of that possibility as well but it would still require some sort of force to flip it over and then stop it again from continually flipping.

And I certainly do not have any idea how that would affect the magnetic poles as we know them.
edit on 18-12-2012 by CyberTruth because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by dJbdJb
 


I think Mr Gyroscopic Force would have an issue with that. Planet fall down go boom.



new topics
top topics
 
0
<< 1  2   >>

log in

join