It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"I am Adam Lanza's mother"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

Interesting article and quite sad that this mother has nowhere to turn to get her son some help. It seems like we would rather throw the mentally ill into jails and throw away the key. Out of sight out of mind.

We have a lot of issues in this country that need to be addressed, but we have politicians that would rather play politics and cater to lobbyists than to sit down and do what's right. We have to stop ignoring gun control and mental illness issues facing this country. All we get are hollow statements from politicians, the issue slowly fades away until there's another mass shooting. When will our elected officials stop this insane cycle and make the tough decisions? I have no faith in any of our elected officials. They've proven time and time again they're in it for the paycheck, not for serving the people who elect them into office.
edit on 18-12-2012 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

OH great solution...pack him off to military school so someone else can deal with the mess. A bit ironic I think.

Just so you know..I have two children and I have NEVER spanked them..again..twisting of words..I've never had to spank them..because I took time...I stay at home to raise them...I've taught them about respecting themselves and others..see that's my point....

oh wait, wow, you say you never spanked your kids and never had to discipline them yet you are suggesting that someone else should solve their problems by shipping the kid off to some military school...wow
and aren't your kids just the perfect cream puffs of perfection.

Now see you made me think of a movie from so long ago

do have children..and yes im am glad I have not known anyone with mental illness..if I did I would distance myself from them..even if it were my child. I would not hesitate to have them locked away..especially if they said they would harm me or anyone in the family. I do believe a lot of 'mental' illness is lack of parenting/neglect to emotional needs

I think you are not in a position to know or understand issues of mental illness, and it's probably a good thing your own kids didn't have problems like this.
edit on 21-12-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-12-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceJockey1
At present the raging debate since the Sandy Hook massacre, has mostly been about gun control, but my personal view is that that's overlooking the bigger problem.

Having lived with my mother and sister for over 50 years whom are both manic depressives, I can totally relate to what this poor lady, and millions of others have and are going through, especially nowadays with the mentally ill increasingly being forced out of mental care, and finding themselves more likely to be incarcerated in our prisons.

Due to a LOT of emotional & physical violence visited upon myself from age 6 (when my mother's mental illness first appeared), via intense bullying from school children that learned of my mothers 'episodes' from their parents (small community in the early 60's), I became the victim of all the nastiness that children can dispense.

The conflict for me was that my father (a staunch Catholic) whom I went to for emotional support and advice, would tell me to just suck it up and turn the other cheek!

There were many times in those early years where I was so ANGRY that I thought about and could have done something really bad, and it was only when I left school at 17 and eventually starting to fight back against anyone that so much got in my face, that I was able to release my anger and calm myself...was a hell of a journey to my early 30's before I got all that anger out of my system.

So my point is that dealing with mental illness should be a bigger priority than the banning of guns, IMHO.

I'm so sorry for these experiences. I do feel, as someone with similar experiences to yours, that along with making support for mental illness more available, it is also important that children be given a safe and comforting avenue to pursue when they suspect something is wrong with one or more parents. For anyone coming from a stable family unit, this could sound troubling and frought with the potential for unreasonable allegations. But like most who grew up with mentally-ill adults, I knew something wasn't right, and it felt sickening to admit. There isn't a child in the world who doesn't want to see a hero when looking at a parent.

Unfortunately, like often attracts like and the mentally ill tend to congregate, often creating families. This creates a unique problem for the child, as they may only have mentally ill adults around them, and no "safe" adults to tell. I don't know what the correct answer would be to this piece of the equation, but it too, deserves analysis.

new topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join