It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"I am Adam Lanza's mother"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

If you have mentally disabled people in your home, what in gods good name are you doing with an arsenal of automatic weapons in the same house?

None of those weapons were AUTOMATIC, they were all SEMI automatic, at least get your facts straight.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Sounds like hand to butt education is lacking.Corporal punishment is effective.Not beating ,spanking.
By the time they're in their teens it's WAY too late.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

does that really matter?

its a bullet from a gun.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

It does very much. An M4 carbine cycles at 700rpm. A semi-automatic is limited by the firer's trigger finger speed. And, you will note, it's quite possible to achieve fire rates comparable to a semiautomatic using nothing more than a Short Magazine Lee-Enfield rifle and proper training.

As for this article? I am honestly disappointed with the mother. Michael is the absolute definition of someone who should be institutionalized by legal mandate as a danger to himself and others. Her opinion on the subject doesn't matter, it's the basic facts of it. Sooner or later, he will snap and injure or kill someone.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
i dont understand what any of this has to do with anything...

fact of the matter is... a 20 year old guy with Aspergers should never have been abel to acquire 4 assault weapons... or 1 assault weapons... or any deadly weapons, period!

Its ridiculous how you Americans can defend what is so clearly a broken system. I'm not saying you should have to give up all your weapons.. but how about some goddamn regulation? Would that be so bad?

I mean, an event like this would be nothing short of impossible in Canada. Nobody has guns, and if they do they are certifiably sane and/or dangerous criminals (who will acquire weapons regardless of the law).

And, for the record, we aren't even remotely afraid of the Queen or terrorists or our own military or you Yanks invading our country. If you think unrestricted gun ownership will save you from some hypothetical assault on citizen populations, your seriously kidding yourself.

Lets see you try and shoot a neutron bomb.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
This article perfectly defines the mental illness prolem in the US.

No one can find help that desperately needs it, unless you are wealthy.

I am glad this brave woman spoke out, and so eloquently put what the problem is.

Poeple should read it, and reread it again. And imagine having that kind of problme with absolutely no where to turn.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

Yeah, I read that on a website yesterday. Honestly, to me he sounds like a potential serial killer, antisocial personality disorder in its adolescence. He bursts out to cause fear not because he's out of control, but as a means od manipulation. He wouldn't do that to someone he couldn't intimidate, but for the moment it works on the mom. He will adapt and stop using the violent method later and manipulate in other ways, but his like of conscience over this fact (doesn't care to make his family live in fear) is the evidence he could kill. I would hate to be the parent of someone like that.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

This kind of attitude is why mental illness hasn't been able to get any treatment. People think that a spanking will solve it.

Seriously?

Do some research. It is a gentic predispostion. IN fact those with genetic factors, don't end up being killers if they have a happy childhood. If you mix the genetic markers with a bad childhood, this is what you get.

Please do some reasearch before making such ignorant statements.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
I think it may be partly due to the reuptake inhibitors and such that are not eally fully understood yet perscribed by the barrells full....
I remember my ex wife going gaga.....it wasnt till the ZOLOFT kicked in that she lost all shreds of conscience or morals or humanity......
The robotic behavior of those on these drugs is amazing to anyone who sees the results.....
I can say they are capable of all kinds of things once they start on them......

The only thing I have had any experience with is Chantix/Zyban to quit smoking. Scared the (blank) out of me.

I took it for 5 days and it was horrible. I've never been that paranoid in my entire life! I had the most horrible nightmares ever & I couldnt wake up from them. I was scared to go to sleep because of the nightmares.

At the time, I decided it was better to smoke!! It may and I'm sure has worked for some but it was not for me.

I've quit since then and used the best thing anyone can do to quit smoking.

I simply made up my mind!

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by riverwild

I am on effexor right now. For the first week of taking it, I could not sleep at all. I was hallucinating with my eyes closed trying to go to sleep. What a trip that was. Some freaky stuff

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neopan100
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

I do have children..and yes im am glad I have not known anyone with mental illness..if I did I would distance myself from them..even if it were my child. I would not hesitate to have them locked away..especially if they said they would harm me or anyone in the family. I do believe a lot of 'mental' illness is lack of parenting/neglect to emotional needs. Call me callous all day long..I would put these people far away..where they belong. Lock them up and throw away the key..if they are sick and truly cannot be helped what other choice do you have? I certainly don't want any other sick ba$tards running around shooting up schools.

Some other poster today said she had 2 kids with some sort of 'disorder'...you would have thought she would have STOPPED at the first..bad genes are bad genes..QUIT freaking breeding these people!

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Ok, here goes nothing!! There is a HUGE stigma in America when discussing mental health issues, plain fact!! I know because I used to be one of the many ignorant (uneducated), hypocrites who would scream from the rafters about these "mental health" diagnosies being bull pucky!! My mother has at least 3 ascribed to her "bahavior" and my sister has, well I've lost count at this point! I was so afraid of being lumped in with them due to the genetics of it all and out of fear for my own mental health stability (and many grudges against my mother specifically) that I refused to see any validity in the mental health field. I still believe that we WAY over medicate in this country, absolutely yes we do and we are far to quick to hand out a diagnosis based on less than enough information. Hell even family doctors have gotten in on the Big Pharm action!!

HOWEVER, I gave birth to a beautiful, healthy baby boy on March 17th 1998. He weighed in @ 8lbs 12ozs and got 9's and 10's on his APGAR scale tests after birth! By 1 month of age he became so cranky and just wouldn't stop crying! We took him to the pediatrician as any "good" parents would do, they approached it as colic, changed his diet (because I was breast feeding that meant me changing my diet) and prescribed infant gas drops. This did no good at all. Months went by and we just learned to live with it, swaddling him tightly and rocking him to the sound of running water would usually get him to sleep soundly for a few hours. By 1 year old he was already walking and saying a few words, which is a little early, but my first son was early in his development too, so nothing very unusual there. However the issue was that, while he was sleeping through the night at this point, he was already seemingly going through his "terrible two's" with defiance and tantrums. His favorite word was "no" and he wouldn't think twice about hitting or throwing something when he was being "denied" whatever it was he wanted.

By the time he started school he already had already been to the ER 5 times to get stitches from self inflicted injuries during his tantrums! During those first 5 years I was in and out of the doctor's office, on the phone with family and friends, doing research at the library, everything I could think of looking for advice and guidance!! There was literally no help available. I would hear things like; "he's just all boy" or "he'll grow out of it" or "he just needs more discipline"! I was already disciplining him more "strictly" than I was comfortable with and usually out of frustration or outright anger (which is not healthy for either party) and just felt there had to be a better way!

Fast forward 9 years and that brings us to this year. My son is now 14 and has full run of the roost! My other 2 children (both boys, one older and the other younger by 5 years) and I walk on eggshells so as not to upset the "prince"! He began smoking weed and running the streets, became sexually active and completely defiant of any and all authority figures! I would ground him, but he would run as soon as I left for work. He only attends school when he feels like it and everyone else be damned! The school did little to help aside from assigning detentions (which he never showed for) and out of school suspensions! He is currently on probation, has community service obligations and is on a 10 day stretch of oss!! He is running full steam ahead on a criminal path at this point and the local law enforcement is more than happy to assist him in becoming an "incarcerated criminal"! No one had helped me for the entire 14 years no matter how much I begged and cried and even, at times, screamed for them to listen to me!!

2 Saturdays ago I left work early because he had finally reached a breaking point in his behavior (it actually started a few days before)! The amount of disrespect and pure vile hatred coming out of his mouth, from his eyes and eveen literally oozing out of his pores let me know this was it! Time to do something major! So I got home and told him were going to the ER to get a psychological evaluation!! He only fought me slightly on this surprisingly and got in the car. He cussed and screamed at me the whole way there and we waited for hours and hours to be seen by the hospital's psychologist, but once we did (and my son had even calmed down immensly by this point) he needed only 5 minutes with my precious son to know he needed immediate hospitalization! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry! A flood of emotions filled me and nothing could compare to the great relief I feltt that FINALLY someone else saw what I saw and knew what I knew, he needed help that I simply was not able to give him!

We are a week and a half into this now and talking to my son on the phone is like talking to an entirely different person but one who I have always known was there, underneath all of this chemical imbalance, manic psychotic, and undiagnosed aspergers!!

Continued below:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Yup, my son now has 3 "diagnosies" and 2 of those are the result of having gone undiagnosed with aspergers for so very long! I have a "special needs" child who's needs were never diagnosed, so how could they have been met?!
Hopefully he will be home for Christmas because we all miss him very much and he misses us, which I never thought was possible!!

So for all the ignorant comments I have read in this thread and to all the "ignorant" posters, all I have to say is this; I used to think and feel just like you and I do know where you're coming from!! However, I have now lived the nightmare of having a child with mental health issues and am sincere when I say: YOU MUST LIVE IT FROM THE INSIDE to truly understand it! Stop passing judgement and open your eyes to the possibilities that something may actually exist that is beyond your understanding! After all; isn't that what ATS is all about?! Deny ignorance!!!

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Gridrebel

This person has clearly demonstrated that they don't have the first clue about mental illness.

And thank gods their child is perfect, because I can't even begin to fathom what would happen to a child born to a parent who wouldn't want them for not being perfect enough.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by IrishCream

Thank you so much for sharing your story. The hearbreak of having the sick that there is no treatment for, and no help for.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Can I move to your country? The USA is going down the toilet with all these bible thumping, bleeding hearts, and gun-toting maniacs..and I swear if I hear someone say 'pray' for something one more time Im going to puke a lung out! Im tired of the lot of them..

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

I should probably point out that a lot of countries have even less rights than we seem to. Just imagine how bad we are, and then realize that most countries are even less fortunate.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

See..you are twisting my words!
I NEVER said I was perfect...or that my children were perfect..my point was that I think this lady's story is BS..I think her son needs discipline..all of you jumped the gun to his need for psychological evaluation...and mental illness. I KNOW a lot of kids who act out and are little $hits with bratty attitudes..I also see how the parents handle this behavior..or actually ignore the behavior. My point was that THIS is the problem...in lot of these cases. Obviously, I'm not the only one that believes this.

It just infuriates me to see a little brat acting out and then when the parents are too lazy or too wrapped up to deal with kids they have them labeled with this disorder, or that..it's BS---IT'S B_____S_____! You will never convince me otherwise. I DO realize there are truly messed up people in this world..I don't know what to do and really none of you have any good ideas either..drug them up? talk it out

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Directing the phrase, "stupid bitch" at my mother or anyone for that matter, would have gotten me an azz whipping I would never forget, first from my mom, and then from my dad. I would have quickly learned my lesson regardless of any Asbergers, Autism, or ADD I may have had.
I can't imagine ever using such language to either of my parents. Parents have dropped the ball on disciplining their kids in my opinion. Many cannot seem to find a reasonable balance. It's either extreme discipline bordering on abuse or no discipline at all resulting in horrible kids.
We have a friend who has a child with autism. The kid occasionally has temper tantrums and the parents do whatever it takes to appease him. I can't help but feel that a firm kick in the butt is what he really needs.
As long as kids are taught that there is an excuse for their bad and antisocial behavior they will not learn to take personal responsibility for their actions. IMHO

Disciple does not always have to mean physical punishment. Parents have to do what they think is best, but some are just punting and neglecting their duty to raise responsible kids.
edit on 12/18/2012 by Sparky63 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Sparky63

THANK YOU! I see others surfacing that have common sense..I didn't know ANYONE growing up that would have said that to anyone..My parents would have striped my butt..then they would have probably let ol' granny have a switch at it too. I don't remember seeing these types of people with this horrendous behavior..others will say it's because they were kept home or locked up...I say GOOD...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join