It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CBS Poll: Support for stricter gun control at 10-year high

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

225 years ago the Second Amendment made sense because the army had the same weapons as civilians. They didn't have nuclear bombs, chemical, biologocial wepaons, drones, etc.. I HIGHLY doubt the founding fathers envisioned a country that had weaponry that could blow up the entire planet. Even if US civilians have 250 million guns, the armies of the world have nuclear devices that could render all of them moot within seconds.

-Jimmy-
edit on 17-12-2012 by Jimmy910130 because: spelling

edit on 17-12-2012 by Jimmy910130 because: spelling

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Jimmy910130

You know, I was addressing this on another thread and a thought occurred to me since. I'd also said there is absolutely no point to being armed in a Gov't confrontation ...However, in hindsight, I might say I was a bit wrong. There IS a very valuable aspect to being armed relating to the Government.

It still isn't about a confrontation because in a direct fight, it's not a fight....it's a lone survivalist or militia member being gunned down in a hail of police gunfire .....The papers will all say so the next day.

However, what occurred to me is this. If the Police or Government in whatever agency it may be...has a choice and legitimately CAN choose to go after a situation or leave it alone and let bygones be bygones...which are they more likely to go after and which, leave alone? The 100% unarmed home that can do nothing but throw a punch or the home where they know they'll still WIN...but after a world of headache, hassle and general risk no one needs or wants?

The populace as a whole, being armed, makes the whole nation that second house where it's not worth the risk or headache if it isn't 100% absolutely necessary to push. If we have NO weapons? Why should they even give a second thought to anything they want to do with or to us? Harsh language is all the headache they have then.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
The cities with the strictest gun laws have the highest gun crime rates. Stricter gun control results in higher gun crime rates. It is just a fact.

The authors note that gun control proponents frequently argue that guns are uniquely available in the U.S., compared to other developed nations, which is why this country has a far higher murder rate. “Though this has been endlessly repeated,” they wrote, “in fact (it) is false and … substantially so.”

Many countries in Europe are much more violent than the U.S., and they are those with the most stringent gun laws. It seems hardly a coincidence that in America, the highest crime rates are in places with strict gun control policies, such as Chicago and Washington, D.C. However, in areas with high rates of gun ownership, violent crime rates are lower.

The authors noted, that in the U.S. during the 25-year period from 1973 to 1997, the overall gun ownership increased 103 percent and handgun ownership went up 163 percent, yet during that period, the murder rate dropped 27.7 percent.

www.knoxnews.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
This country has had enough of the mass shootings.

I hope the administration pushes for stricter gun control in the new congress. Looks like the NRA and gun worshippers won't have their way this time.
edit on 12/17/2012 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

gun worshippers?

you should be asking what kind of society breeds people that can enter an elementary school and kill children. i dont recall tim mcveigh using a gun to kill all those kids in ok city. why no outcry to question the way our society is breeding MANIACS. guns arent creating these people.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I am not a gun owner, I am also law abiding and educated. The only insane thing I could be guilty of I believe is being a contributing member of this website
. With that however and with all the latest "stuff" regarding "gun control", I have been seriously contemplating purchasing a handgun...

...for a multitude of reasons, none of which are against any current laws or break the bounds of sanity, mainly because I truly believe that I will not be able to very soon.

Felt I needed to put that out there.

exactly my point, normal SANE people can get a rifle or handgun and they dont think of shooting mass amounts of people.
we should be trying to fix the root cause of this issue.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
reply to post by SilentKoala

Going on that notion, is 57% enough? Meaning, is more convincing in order?

What would be more convincing would be a sample vote size of 620,000, not 620.

There's probably more than 620 people working in that CBS building.

How can such a small sample be considered representative of 'America'?

The story claims that '57% of Americans support stricter gun controls...' Oh yeah? Is there only 620 Americans living in America then?

The story should have been...'57% of 620 people calling in...' but no...it's propaganda written as though this is the majority of Americans, totally wrong.
edit on 18-12-2012 by MysterX because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
The one certainty in this country is that if a problem is identified we will always focus on the wrong solution. We have a highly complex, systemic social problem in tis country so people desperately look for a simple solution. It's a whole lot easier to focus on removing guns than the underlying mental health problem and that makes people feel better. This is a highly emotionally charged situation. We need someone/something to blame. Guns are easier than a mentally ill kid. Besides, how do we get rid of thousands-and-thousands of mentally ill people? So socially unacceptable.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Invading armies do not want to destroy countries to the point that they can't use the resources. To the victor go the spoils. To make any invasion worth undertaking they could not use nuclear weapons.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

You're right mate.

And while mental illness is the direct cause of these killings, i'll bet the US government doesn't take immediate steps to initiate a free mental healthcare system...in fact, in all of the news reports about this, not one news channel, government mouthpiece or 'official' commenator has mentioned mental illness, at all.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec

Invading armies do not want to destroy countries to the point that they can't use the resources. To the victor go the spoils. To make any invasion worth undertaking they could not use nuclear weapons.

You'd best read up on Neutron nuclear weapons then mate....the spoils remain.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by MysterX

The story should have been...'57% of 620 people calling in...' but no...it's propaganda written as though this is the majority of Americans, totally wrong.

Yellow journalism, or the yellow press, is a type of journalism that presents little or no legitimate well-researched news and instead uses eye-catching headlines to sell more newspapers.[1] Techniques may include exaggerations of news events, scandal-mongering, or sensationalism.[1] By extension, the term yellow journalism is used today as a pejorative to decry any journalism that treats news in an unprofessional or unethical fashion.[2]

scare headlines in huge print, often of minor news
lavish use of pictures, or imaginary drawings
use of faked interviews, misleading headlines, pseudoscience, and a parade of false learning from so-called experts
emphasis on full-color Sunday supplements, usually with comic strips
dramatic sympathy with the "underdog" against the system.

Yellow journalism

It never went away.......

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
It was a poll of 620 people..... I seriously doubt it is that high throughout the nation. Polls can be skewed to show the desired results that they are seeking. Also it is obvious that the numbers would be artificially high being this close to the tragic event that transpired on Friday.

"Never let a good crisis go to waste" - Rahm Emanuel former Obama admin Chief of staff
edit on 12/17/2012 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

When will you people start realizing that random sample polls are accurate?

You went the whole election saying how the polls were wrong, and the election results proved you wrong.

At some point you have to grow up and admit when you are in the minority, playing ignorant when a piece of data shows something that you don't like doesn't change reality.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Wow, a poll of random slobs immediately following a traumatic event shows the obvious!

There's a reason America isnt a democracy. Mob rule puts morons in charge by virtue of their sheer numbers.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by xedocodex

At some point you have to grow up and admit when you are in the minority, playing ignorant when a piece of data shows something that you don't like doesn't change reality.

Yup. And we all know how wrong the minority is. Bastard minority getting in the way of the majority.

If it werent for that damn minority blacks would still be slaves. It werent for that damn minority we could still beat and hang homosexuals. If it werent for that damn minority.

Majority rules!!

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by xedocodex

What?!!

What minority?

Are you seriously claiming that a mere 620 people is a representative sample of the entire United States?

Seriously?

And of that pathetic number of people they used, only just over half - and that's just over half at a time when this tragedy is being repeated in all it's terrible light, almost continously on MSM, and STILL only just over half of the tiny poll sample said they thought it would be an idea to make gun controls more 'stringent'.

However, the actual meat and potatoes of the article posted by the OP claims that '57% of Americans...' which is totally and blatently false.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

The oceans are full of nuclear weapons. A nuclear attack on America would result in Assured Mutual Destruction.
edit on 19-12-2012 by jimmiec because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

If cities/countries with the highest gun violence are those with the strictest gun laws, then why isn't this the case in Canada, UK, Japan, Germany, Australia, France, etc etc etc... Why is it only in the US? Are there just more crazy insane idiotic people in the USA then the rest of the world? I don't get it.

Where I live, we go to sleep with absolutely no weapons in the house, hell my parents didn't even want me to have water guns when I was a kid. We go to sleep with every door unlocked just in case one of our neighbours which we know very well needs any immediate help.

Maybe that's what's missing in the USA, a sense of community. I live in a relatively small town where everyone knows everybody else and we all trust and care for one another. There has never been A crime reported in our city since I've been born. There is one graffito-tag on a bridge, that's pretty much it.

-Jimmy-

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Maybe that's what's missing in the USA, a sense of community.

Social media is destroying that sense of community I feel. Add in the media and an unnecessary fear of our fellow man is being created.

The following is somewhat off topic to this thread however somewhat on topic with your post, I started this thread today... School Gun Threat Rumors Relative to Epidemic Proportions - Seemingly Nationwide

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Gun laws wont prevent the criminals doing the shooting from going out and getting a gun. i live in nyc and in the past week there have been 2 shootings. nyc has the strictest gun laws in the nation and if people are still getting killed by guns i really doubt laws will help

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
This country has had enough of the mass shootings.

I hope the administration pushes for stricter gun control in the new congress. Looks like the NRA and gun worshippers won't have their way this time.
edit on 12/17/2012 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

I wish this Congress would arrest traitors and deport them.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join