It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CBS Poll: Support for stricter gun control at 10-year high

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

CBS Poll: Support for stricter gun control at 10-year high

By Sarah Dutton, Jennifer De Pinto, Anthony Salvanto, Fred Backus and Stephanie Condon

Following the devastating mass shooting in Newtown, Conn., support for stricter gun control laws is now the highest it's been in a decade and has surged 18 points since the spring of this year, according to a new CBS News poll.

Fifty-seven percent of Americans now say gun control laws should be made more strict, according to the poll, conducted Dec. 14 - 16.

The poll followed the news of the Dec. 14 shooting, in which a gunman killed 20 children and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School. The public's renewed interest in stricter gun laws is evident on the White House website, where more than 150,000 people have signed a petition asking for immediate action on the issue. The horrific event has prompted some pro-gun Democrats to call for stricter gun laws, though the Republican party has remained largely silent on the issue. President Obama has said that in the coming weeks he will use whatever power is at his disposal in efforts to prevent anymore such tragedies.

I guess this is to be expected in light of recent events this year but, is 57%, more, is the 18 point up-swing since April 2012, even more is the latest tragedy, enough to amend the 2nd Amendment enough to be considered detrimental to what we currently deem as constitutional gun ownership?

What do you suppose the "whatever power is at his disposal" means to the 2nd Amendment?

Please try to keep the conversation civil.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Looks like they are accomplishing exactly what their goal was. The fact that this event is being exploited calls the whole thing into question.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

Going on that notion, is 57% enough? Meaning, is more convincing in order?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
This country has had enough of the mass shootings.

I hope the administration pushes for stricter gun control in the new congress. Looks like the NRA and gun worshippers won't have their way this time.
edit on 12/17/2012 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I remember reading about the dept of education ordering weapons and ammunition even though they had no law enforcement mandate. Perhaps we shall see the rise of a new agency? The ESA(Education Security Administration)? With naked body screening and daily strip searches coming to our schools.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

The gun control legislation that stands today is not enforced. I doubt that any new laws will make a difference in the tendency for some to be violent.

I can hardly wait for all those "fast and furious" guns to make their way back home. The only folks that could afford them will be the criminals.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
It was a poll of 620 people..... I seriously doubt it is that high throughout the nation. Polls can be skewed to show the desired results that they are seeking. Also it is obvious that the numbers would be artificially high being this close to the tragic event that transpired on Friday.

"Never let a good crisis go to waste" - Rahm Emanuel former Obama admin Chief of staff
edit on 12/17/2012 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
The argument I don't understand is the 'We need guns to keep tyrannical gov't from forming/taking over/etc' The gov't has way more powerful massive weaponry then all of the puny firearms that the civilians have. If need be, the American gov,t could even get help from other armies around the world... No?

-Jimmy-

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Hollywood, the mental health laws and institutions and the NRA will all have to give something for any real effect on the real issue which involves all three. A ban of ammo clips exceeding 10 rounds and assault weapons. Stronger mental health tools to get the mentally ill into institutions for real help, and less violence from Hollywood as well as advertising restrictions. Without all three contributing we will still have a major problem.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
That's only a sample size of 620 people, I don't think that is an accurate assessment, where did these people respond from? so many questions..

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

I hope the administration pushes for stricter gun control in the new congress. Looks like the NRA and gun worshippers won't have their way this time.

I want to say that it amazes me that you support an administration that has made a kill list to kill Americans without a trial, kill innocent children in other countries, and sells arms to other countries that kill their own, not to mention sell the same weapons you say you want made illegal to Mexico that killed one of our border guards, but it it doesn't....

Your hypocracy and blind faith in a president who says one thing and does another is enough..........

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
The thing I have trouble with, you can pass a law banning the sale of all guns and ammo right this minute. What then, of all the guns that have been manufactured in this country and illegally smuggled into the country since, well, the country was settled?

Understandably some of the guns since have been disposed of, but there are A LOT of guns in this country in private ownership.

Take a look at this thread I posted the other day: ATF's Annual Firearms Manufacturing and Export Reports (1998-2011), this is just the one's they have a legitimate count of since 1998. This is a lot of guns, to me, if someone wants a gun, whether legally or not, they will get it, sane or not.

Creating laws will not remove the problem, it's the guns in circulation that have to be dealt with. Here's a thought, for every one gun legal or not that is turned in to be disposed of, the individual doesn't pay taxes for one year no questions asked. 10 guns turned in and disposed of, 10 years tax free living.

I am sure there are plenty of other comparable incentives.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
The thing I have trouble with, you can pass a law banning the sale of all guns and ammo right this minute. What then, of all the guns that have been manufactured in this country and illegally smuggled into the country since, well, the country was settled?

Understandably some of the guns since have been disposed of, but there are A LOT of guns in this country in private ownership.

Take a look at this thread I posted the other day: ATF's Annual Firearms Manufacturing and Export Reports (1998-2011), this is just the one's they have a legitimate count of since 1998. This is a lot of guns, to me, if someone wants a gun, whether legally or not, they will get it, sane or not.

Creating laws will not remove the problem, it's the guns in circulation that have to be dealt with. Here's a thought, for every one gun legal or not that is turned in to be disposed of, the individual doesn't pay taxes for one year no questions asked. 10 guns turned in and disposed of, 10 years tax free living.

I am sure there are plenty of other comparable incentives.

I can tell you that a couple of the firearms I have from family ownership date well back into the 1800's. They still shoot straight, true and reliably. No problems.... Additionally, there are a few million in this nation like myself who have all the reloading equipment (In duplicate
) with powder and bullet components so producing ammo by the thousands of rounds many many years into the future won't be any challenge at all. As long as people can bring me empty brass? I can keep filling them back up.

Millions....like me. Banning guns are so patently ridiculous it's laughable. Although, I guess the King is going to put this nation through the meat grinder whether we like it or not. I just hope we have a decent nation left at the other end of what we're about to endure together.
edit on 17-12-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Jimmy910130

I think that the fear corporations, banks and their puppet politicians have is an organized population of state and constitutional protectionist, who are well armed.

I don't own a gun, probably never will, but I support the 2nd amendment because it makes sense, especially these days when I see a systematic destruction of our rights that so many supposedly sacrificed their lives to defend.

link   

Originally posted by Jimmy910130
The argument I don't understand is the 'We need guns to keep tyrannical gov't from forming/taking over/etc' The gov't has way more powerful massive weaponry then all of the puny firearms that the civilians have. If need be, the American gov,t could even get help from other armies around the world... No?

-Jimmy-

Take that up with Thomas Jefferson. He's the one who said the strongest reason to retain the right to bear arms is to protect ourselves from tyranny in government.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7

edit on 12/17/2012 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

The country has had enough of law-breaking citizens misusing guns. So you hope the administration punishes law-abiding citizens who don't misuse them. Yeah, that logic makes real sense. You didn't really think that through all the way, did you?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Pretty blatant propaganda IMO.

I'd like to see the results from the same poll conducted by Fox. Opposite demographics between CBS, CNN, MSNBC and Fox viewers.

There are also regional differences on the issue of gun control. Support for tougher measures is highest in the Northeast (at 66 percent) and West (at 68 percent). Those in the Midwest and South are less likely to back stricter gun control laws.

What a shock. Liberals in New York and LA want to ban guns.

But the rest of the US would tell the government to go crawl back under their rocks.

edit on 17-12-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I've had enough of this.

If my guns were to be taken, my family and I would be overrun by drug cartel.

I live in Central TX, and I fear that without arms, anyone, especially ARMED drug cartel, would be able to enter my home, rob us, and rape, kill, maim or otherwise harm my wife and/or son.

This is unacceptable.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I am not a gun owner, I am also law abiding and educated. The only insane thing I could be guilty of I believe is being a contributing member of this website
. With that however and with all the latest "stuff" regarding "gun control", I have been seriously contemplating purchasing a handgun...

...for a multitude of reasons, none of which are against any current laws or break the bounds of sanity, mainly because I truly believe that I will not be able to very soon.

Felt I needed to put that out there.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Deemo Diablo

I can only imagine how the ranchers and various citizens all along the border would feel about having their guns taken away. I wonder how many of the folks that advocate stricter gun control have put themselves in the shoes of someone that had to endure a home invasion, sexual assault or any other crime.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join