It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sea Fossils found at more than 5.000 meters AMSL (Above Sea level) in Peru.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   

We are talking about 350 million years old sea fossils in the Andes, around the Colca Valley. They discovered them in April of this year, but locals in the remote district of Caylloma didn't know it was important.

I had to translate sources this time :

A number of marine fossils were found this past April, Caylloma district residents. Apparently these remains date back over 350 million years old.

The information was released by the mayors of the Provincial Municipality of Caylloma, Elmer Caceres Llica and Caylloma district mayor, Marino Mena, in a press conference held at the Municipal Auditorium Theater, this morning.

Among the fossils were found in the form of turtle bones, small snails, limpets, among many others. As the authorities request the presence of a scientist or expert who really determine if these remains were found more than 5000 m

In this regard, he stressed that Llica Cáceres were the residents of the area who made the finding that newly disclosed because they did not know their importance. Also expect the conclusions of the experts.

diariocorreo.pe...

Video In this other link : peru21.pe...

Other source : www.rpp.com.pe...

edit on 17-12-2012 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
is it me, or do fossils look like carved pieces of rock.

and i'm just supposed to take a complete strangers word for it that it is millions of years old and where it was found.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
My guess is that they are about 4000 to 5000 years old.

About as old as when the entire earth flooded. This kind of evidence of the Biblical flood is all over the place.

However, this is not in line with modern day science

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Well, more experts were required in order to confirm the age of the fossils. The area is well known for many archaeologists, not the first time something that great was found there.

One example is the Lady of Ampato. en.wikipedia.org...

Regarding sea fossils, it's not the first time in that area neither :

More than 70 of paleontological ancient Peru, were presented yesterday by the Geological Mining and Metallurgy - INGEMMET in local Language Centre National University of the Altiplano, which we will be on display all week in the lakeside city.

The fossils were found in the mountains of San José, in Carabaya - Puno, dating back 465 million years. Seabed were immersed in the ancient continent Gondwana, said, Luz Tejada, regional paleontologist INGEMMET.

After 47 years out of Peru, these fossil remains were repatriated in August, and will be exhibited throughout the country. Also expected to be contrasted with the other colonies of graptolites, at once, it seeks to promote the culture paleontological and increased tourism.

The national INGEMMET custody over 14,000 fossils found in the regions of Puno, Arequipa and Junín.

Anyway, I'm not an expert neither and what you said could be possible too.

www.losandes.com.pe...

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I'm no expert, and without Googling the answer........aren't mountains formed when continents merge due to shift?

350m years ago, there was maybe two land masses that merged to created this area in Peru, and any marine life already dead and starting to fossilise got pushed up with it??

I could be way off the mark with that, but it is just a thought.
edit on 17/12/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by radpetey
My guess is that they are about 4000 to 5000 years old.

About as old as when the entire earth flooded. This kind of evidence of the Biblical flood is all over the place.

However, this is not in line with modern day science

The ocean wasn't there 4,000 or 5,000 years ago.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Were you there??

It could have risen for a short time.....Could have been a giant tsunami( from asteroid or giant earthquake).

Or maybe some child from the hills buried their vacation treasures and have not been found until now!!

My bet is on a giant flood that stuck around for 4o days

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
It's due to plate tectonics and uplift .

While new ocean crust is constantly being created at mid-ocean ridges, old crust must either be destroyed or reduced at the same rate (or else the planet would be continually expanding and increasing in volume). The plates, therefore, emerging along mid-ocean ridges, sliding over the athenosphere, and grinding past other plates along transform faults, are almost all headed on a collision course. When two continents carried on converging plates ram into each other, they crumple and fold under the enormous pressure, creating great mountain ranges.

www.platetectonics.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

My bet could be put on that horse as well!

Good post.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
I'm no expert, and without Googling the answer........aren't mountains formed when continents merge due to shift?

350m years ago, there was maybe two land masses that merged to created this area in Peru, and any marine life already dead and starting to fossilise got pushed up with it??

I could be way off the mark with that, but it is just a thought.
edit on 17/12/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

And maybe those mountain ranges use to be under the sea.
Just a thought,I could be wrong.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
That's been known for a while , but I'm not sure if the fossils known then were as cool as these .

There was an engineer with a french sounding name who designed the antennas necessary for earth to moon communications during the apollo program , I mention that because I can't remember his name , anyway he wrote an ancient astronaut book .

In it he mentioned the andean fossils and opined that the planet venus had been a rogue world which came wandering into our solar system from elsewhere ( what with it's rotation being backwards and all ) and thought that it might have been captured by earth for a while and much closer than the moon is now .

If it was an equatorial orbit this would have created colossal tides where the water wouldn't have had a chance to flow back to sea level , the earth would have kept a huge water bulge around it's middle and that was why he said those fossils might be there .

I don't really believe it , but it is possible so I guess it's worth thinking about .

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by radpetey
reply to post by Trueman

Were you there??

It could have risen for a short time.....Could have been a giant tsunami( from asteroid or giant earthquake).

Or maybe some child from the hills buried their vacation treasures and have not been found until now!!

My bet is on a giant flood that stuck around for 4o days

Caral, part of te "Norte Chico" Civilization, is 5,000 years old (the oldest city in America).

Caral was inhabited between roughly 2600 BCE and 2000 BCE

(That's the time you estimated the flood took place).

Caral is in the coast of Peru. As many other cultures, they had to move to higher locations due a big drought that happened in that time.

Don't get me wrong, I also believe the biblical flood happened, but don't believe it covered the whole planet with water.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Basic Geology there Trueman. These fossils were formed when this part of the Andes was under the Ocean. 350 million years later, they are part of a mountain range. I am in North Yorkshire (further north than Toronto or Montreal) and the rock strata just north of me contains tropical reefs (and associated fossils). Millions of years ago, Britain was basically a Hawaii type place. That is but one example........

Good spot anyway though.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
heres a good example of mountains rising from the ocean

They've also determined that the Himalayan Mountains are still growing higher, at a rate of about 2.4 in/6.1cm per year. That's twice as fast as previously thought. A growth rate of 2.4 in/6.1cm per year doesn't sound like very much. But, if you think about it, that means in the last 26,000 years the Himalayans have risen almost a mile into the upper reaches of the earth's atmosphere!

a mile in 26,000 years.
so 350 million years of rising is.................anyone good with maths?

SOURCE

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

I agree. If you check my posts, I quote about similar founds, with an explanation.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Sorry Trueman.........feeling that way out today. I stand corrected and apologise.

I did give you a star and a flag though originally (if it makes you feel better).

Just getting a bit sick of seeing the same claims again and again and then people refusing to believe explanations! Don't know why it is winding me up so much either - it is up to the individual what he / she chooses to believe.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by GezinhoKiko
heres a good example of mountains rising from the ocean

They've also determined that the Himalayan Mountains are still growing higher, at a rate of about 2.4 in/6.1cm per year. That's twice as fast as previously thought. A growth rate of 2.4 in/6.1cm per year doesn't sound like very much. But, if you think about it, that means in the last 26,000 years the Himalayans have risen almost a mile into the upper reaches of the earth's atmosphere!

a mile in 26,000 years.
so 350 million years of rising is.................anyone good with maths?

SOURCE

The Himalayas haven't been rising for 350,000,000 years, it's been more like 50 million years since the Tethys Ocean closed and the uplift really began. The rate of growth of the mountains is also variable, it was a lot slower in the past.

But do remember that continental collision is not a smooth process, the current 5mm is an average and uplift occurs in specific events as opposed a continual rise.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
In reference to mountainous uplift, it is generally considered a slow constant that has sudden bursts...but is continuously offset by erosion.

The Appalachian mountain range in the Eastern United States is considered the oldest mountain range on earth. It supposedly once had towering peaks...but millions of years of erosion has reduced it to what we see today. The uplift ended eons ago so it is no longer replacing that which erodes away. One day in the far flung future, they will be gone.

The fossils in the Peruvian are not unusual...there are sea fossils found in the Appalachian as well. Animals die...sink...fossilize...and get pushed up over millions of years...then exposed through erosion...not mysterious, but awfully fascinating.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

that is just the thing with fossils , they do look like they have been carved out of stone , that is the nature of fossils.

i do not know why some of the posts are doubting this find , wasn't it stated that lake titicaca was once at sea level .

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Well the possibilities for this are:

Flood that high deposited the fossils.
The mountain was at one time part of the ocean floor.
They aren't real fossils.
Someone or some animal carried them up there.

Any other possibilities?

I believe the Bible is true and that Noah did experience a flood. However for a specific case like this in Peru I believe an Occam's Razor approach is practical.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join