Dec 21st 2012 "gravity-loss" scenario VS. rotation reversal scenario

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

The planet is rotation at 1000 miles per hour (roughly). Any sudden stop will convert that rotational momentum into another form of energy. I'm just guessing here, but I suspect that 1000 miles per hour of friction would convert to heat.

Also -- everything and everyone would continue moving at 1000 miles per hour, which is super bad for buildings, cars, people, trees, animals, oceans, and so forth. Basically -- "gravity" would be the least of our problems.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

Yes it would be bad for everything on the surface, but it wouldn't just stop cold. so their may not be any transfer of kinetic energy to lets say the oceans.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

Does this work with a Beer Bong?

I know... I wish to try it on Dec 21......
edit on 17-12-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Hey -- don't shoot the messenger. I was just responding to the OP's "ERRRRT! Everything stops and then reverses!" scenario. I agree -- its about as likely as a super hot vampire woman coming to my room tonight and offering to make me her immortal love-slave, but....

considering that the hypothetical scenario that's being put forth that the world will pole-shift and stop on it's axis, and then reverse it's rotation...
such an event just very well may cause a serious "slamming on the brakes" type feeling.. where we're rotating at such an incredible speed right now.. imagine it just ERRRRRRT! stopping then reversing...

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

Oh my bad, it said reply to post by This Guy

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

So if i were to stop earths rotation then you would gain .5 pounds?
Nope 0.57 pounds. At the equator.

Now how would the earth rotating around the sun effect that force
-0.10 lb at midnight +0.10 lb at noon. And the Earth revolves around the Sun.
edit on 12/17/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Does this work with a Beer Bong?

I know... I wish to try it on Dec 21......
edit on 17-12-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

BTW,justice renders to every one his due.So true.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

So earths heliocentric orbital force is negligible, compared to is axial rotational force.

Do all the planets have axial rotation or are any rotationally locked like the moon?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

So earths heliocentric orbital force is negligible, compared to is axial rotational force.
Yes, because the radius is so great in proportion to the velocity.

Do all the planets have axial rotation or are any rotationally locked like the moon?
No planets are fully locked with the Sun. I think there is some speculation about Mercury being partially so.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by centrifugal
ESRI did a study regarding what would happen if the Earth stopped spinning.
www.esri.com...

Basically all the water in the Oceans move to the poles, or where the gravity on Earth would be highest. The equator would become a mega continent. And one side of the Earth gets a lot of sun.

that's pretty badass.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by rickymouse

Yeah but.
There would be no sky diving anymore. There would be no snowboarding. No hang gliding! No fun!

but remember dear phage, this hypothetical scenario involves the re-gravitation ocurring after the anti-grav scenario...

bell curve style

so plenty of skydiving later.... hypothetically....
edit on 12/17/2012 by prevenge because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

Yeah but.
There would be no sky diving anymore. There would be no snowboarding. No hang gliding! No fun!

Would a reverse bungee?
You know,instead of descending ,ascending.
Of course you would need some padding for the landing.
But that is the gravity loss scenario.
The rotational reversal would be a whole 'nother ballgame.
Don't think we puny little humans would survive that one.

yesssss.

let's all bungee ourselves to the nearest beanie clip bolt!
a reverse bungy is awesome...

might get your ankles ripped off when the mothership tries to harvest you though.
that is not awesome.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

I see. So we drift from the surface for a while.
Then plummet. Now that sounds like big fun.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
The phrase "I'm on cloud 9" would have a totally new meaning for a while

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s

The planet is rotation at 1000 miles per hour (roughly). Any sudden stop will convert that rotational momentum into another form of energy. I'm just guessing here, but I suspect that 1000 miles per hour of friction would convert to heat.

Also -- everything and everyone would continue moving at 1000 miles per hour, which is super bad for buildings, cars, people, trees, animals, oceans, and so forth. Basically -- "gravity" would be the least of our problems.

right.. but that's my point...
if you're up in the air during hypothetical "global anti-grav HAARP made scenario" .. then you're less likely to be swallowed into the mass of flushing current of matter on the surface of the earth than you would in the atmosphere.. floating... no?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

I see. So we drift from the surface for a while.
Then plummet. Now that sounds like big fun.

hope not...
from my OP...

Originally posted by prevenge
of course.. i'd want the anti-grav and reactivation of gravity to be a slow shift rather than a quick UP then a FALL.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
You are forgetting that the air would also continue moving at 1000mph, so, yep, I'll take some air thank you!

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by fuserleer
You are forgetting that the air would also continue moving at 1000mph, so, yep, I'll take some air thank you!

right so consider it like riding a bull...

on the bull you're being rocked around violently..

kicked off the bull ..just say ...straight up in the air for sake of argument..
bull runs off.. you land on your ass right where the bull was when it bumped you off..

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
well not really, the ground would stay put, but everything else would move....so you'd probably land on your butt in what was an ocean

only way out of being flung off would be right at the poles, if the earth stopped spinning you would just stay put as there you are just rotating around in a very slow 360 deg rotation.
edit on 17-12-2012 by fuserleer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Yeah but.

Who needs skydiving when you can and jump over your house. Anyone could play basketball like Magic Johnson.

We are a creative species, especially the young.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join