It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Now Suspending Accounts Which Question Mainstream Media Reporting/Account of Events

page: 16
<< 13  14  15   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by L8RT8RZ
Good, that stuff doesn't belong on facebook. Facebook is not a conspiracy website.

Well said.

And he calls himself a journalist ?

ha

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by rugger
reply to post by L8RT8RZ

Freedom of speech means freedom of speech you don't have to like or listen to it but you can say it.

Saying it and knowing what it means are two very different things, as is being displayed right here.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
sorry, misread the post
edit on 18-12-2012 by L8RT8RZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by rugger

:lol
h by the way I don't use any site like Facebook.my life is my life.screw Facebook.sheeple are dummys

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Facebook is one of the biggest and most successful spy programs to date, that people actually participate in! I could care less about facebook. I do not own one, nor will I ever.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Sovaka

Sovaka talking to this guy is like talking to a wall he's one that argues just to argue don't waist your time with the troll your right he's wrong, ........

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by mattdel

Yes, we(the department of justice) instructed them to do this.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unidentified_Objective
No conspiracy. Get the eff over it.

You, and everyone who starred your post, completely missed the point. As usual...

Why are so many people around here - of all places - not unsettled at all by our complacent & apathetic attitude towards this growing trend of unjustified social media censorship? And make no mistake! That's what this is really about my friend - authoritarian censorship, not whether or not this was a set-up. Maybe it wasn't, maybe it was - quite frankly I don't really care. It happened. Who did it is irrelevant to me. Long ago I established that some people are just plain f#cked, so no surprise there - and later I soon learned that the government is no exception - so no surprise there, either. The conspiracy (or lack thereof) makes no difference to this facebook censorship issue. Which is why so many people are missing the god damned point - and that's becoming dangerous for us all.

And although you're absolutely right, some people do take it too far... that's not close to a good enough reason to put tape on all of our mouths simply for disagreeing with our views/beliefs. And that's where this is headed. Whatever happened to Free Speech? Is that a terrorist act now? Or the mark of the delinquent? Are we so thoroughly beat down from this decade of living in a police state obsessed with Terrorist Paranoia that we just don't care about those things anymore?

"To inject conspiracy theories is a slap to the face of the victims."

Here's an idea for all you people making a fuss over the conspiracy 'nutjobs'. You're the "sane" ones - why don't you guys practice what you preach and just ignore the lunatics if you don't agree with them? They're crazy, after all - who cares what they think? Rise above, as it were... cuz they're certainly not going anywhere. And nor should they. You want them to stop over-analyzing every tragedy that occurs in society... yet you're on a website whose slogan is "Deny Ignorance". go figure

Yes, of course some people take it too far. Someone always takes it too far in one way or another in all aspects of human life. And yes, more often than not, they are wrong about their suspicions, and they are often disrespectful to the victims while "investigating" these strange & horrible incidents. But is that a good enough reason to give up our voice? Free Speech was a respected right & human freedom once upon a time. Even racists were entitled to their opinions (and in some ways, still are). But now it seems people would rather have every controversial statement in the world censored for them so they can remain safe & secure in their Comfort Zone unscathed by these rampant speculators. We now live in a nanny police state, and it's beginning to look as if we want it that way!

Harden up, humanity. Life gets a lot harder, and people are going to do much worse to you during your time here. If you need facebook to censor its content to protect you from emotional discomfort, perhaps you should consider an alternative way to pass the time. You guys treat this issue as if you've been personally attacked by these people.

Of course it's tragic what happened to those kids & their families! And only a fool would deny that psychopaths exist. And so what? Just because an incident is tragic is no good reason to put our blinders on and totally disregard - and attack - any questions. I don't know much about the shooting because I don't live in America and to me, studying American massacres is just a depressing waste of time. I mean that in the most respectful way possible mind you. But if you personally worry about everyone on the planet & emotionally invest yourself in every insane & tragic story, you'll end up topping yourself in no time. Life's rough and no body makes it out safe & alive. But we must keep a cool head in these situations.

The bottom line is this - where does it end? I know we voluntarily use facebook's services of our own free will, and it's their product, their rules... but come on. Don't be so naive. Facebook is more than a product. It is a cultural hub of information and communication. Probably one of the most popular ones on the planet. Facebook is more than just a place you can go to tell people how much you like shopping. It's a place where humans congregate, and the internet is now just a highly personal extension of our social lives. Facebook is real life now. It's time we recognized that what happens on the internet does not stay on the internet. And if we put up with this censorship nonsense just because some of us are offended by some of the controversial questions & statements being made, then where is that road going to lead us? How long until the cops start locking up people for asking questions like this - whether they have a sound reason for doing so or not?

Yes - it's a tragedy! But it's also being exploited, and we (YOU) need to see that. This is not just Facebook playing the innocent social media middleman and trying to protect the feelings of the victims. This is Facebook flexing its muscle because it can. It's all just business to them. We'd all be wise to remember that. There is nothing innocent about Facebook. I used to not have one at all, and I was content with my life without it. But as time has gone on its becoming increasingly harder to escape this uncanny merging of social culture with technology. It's uncanny because, unlike a pub or a park where you can hang out with your friends to communicate - on the internet, everything is watched. Your every move is documented.

Some of us here are okay with that. And hell, I've got nothing to hide. I'm no psychopath or terrorist or sick bastard, but I'm sure I'm on a list somewhere - and that's ridiculous. Why are we doing this to ourselves? I see this situation for what it is - the tip of the iceberg. Beneath this benign gossipy rubbish and our petty arguments with each other over why facebook is or is not a good thing waits a monster that we've only read about in books like George Orwell's. The monster's real, and although this might seem silly on the surface - it's deadly serious. If we let our authority figures begin to dictate what we can and cannot talk about in regards to our own society which we are ourselves apart of - well, it's all downhill from there right into totalitarian hell. There's only one step between what we talk about and what we think about. They silence one, and they do a good job of damaging the other. And when we are kept silent, the Elitists - (not to be confused with "rich people") - live like kings, with no regard to their subjects, and they answer to no one.

It's just facebook today - but even the biggest nightmare starts out as nothing. Facebook is a symbol of things to come. The writing's on the Wall, so to speak. And half the god damned planet can't seem to read all of a sudden

edit on 20/12/2012 by TheAnarchist because: ~

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Well I'd say this thread has gone downhill like many others...has moved on from intelligent debate to personal bashing, troll attention seeking and name calling. Well done folks. Well, done. /me sarcasm

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by pacifier2012

Really? I have offended mods before plenty of times, they usually just told me off like any other member. I guess I didn't take it far enough to get the boot?

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Facebook suspends the accounts of people who are the subject of lots of complaints. When a powerful person is offended by someone, he or she can ask shills (the Fifty-Cent Party if you believe in that) to complain for him or her. This has allegedly happened a few times before in Hong Kong, probably the only place in China (apart from Taiwan) where Facebook is legal.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Someone call the waaaaambulance. 16 pages of tears.

If you don't like how fb plays with go find another friend. It's not a matter of censorship, just them flexing their rules on you, a person that has chosen to use their service.

Apologies if this comes of a little abrasive, but this is a huge case of first world problems.

OSS

top topics

<< 13  14  15   >>

join