It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

St Loius Police Chief says time to end "gun free" lunacy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+28 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

St. Louis County Police Chief Tim Fitch says it is time to talk about arming civilian school personnel following Friday’s massacre in Newtown,

“Pilots have been armed now for many many years, we’ve not had another hijacking and the issue is, for the bad guy, he doesn’t know which airplane he’s getting on, if the pilot is armed or not.”

Fitch said the killing will not be stopped by legislation or laws. “If there’s somebody that’s really hellbent on doing something like this, they’re not going to care what the law is.”

After a weekend on non-stop cries for laws and bans it's more than a little refreshing to get some notable voice of reason.

The chief also hits on Americas neglect of the mentally ill.

St Louis Local

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
The random violence thing thats been happening of late is a complex issue, no amount of regulation will prevent it.

No one can tell me how any of the proposed bans would of prevented the tragedies from happening (grandfathered guns, weapons taken from other rightful owners) All the new laws or bans would do would prevent law abiding citizens from having them.

Its an emotional reaction to the problem, not a logical one.

This Police chief seems like a smart man, hes looking at real world ways of solving the issue, not knee jerk emotional responses.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Now that is what I am talking about. Arm everybody who wants to be armed and the criminals will think twice. These people are cowards they are looking for easy prey, they don't want a fight.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
What I dont get is how a solution like this becomes twisted into "kids with guns!!! Bloodbath!!!!"

If I were a teacher by profession and in my day to day life I carry lawfully why would it become some horrible issue the moment I cross the threshold to my office?

Im around your kids with my gun on the street, at the park, at the supermarket, at the restaurant, in the library, at the movies, everywhere.

But when Im at work it's the end of the world?
edit on 17-12-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
It's about time the city I still call home got into the ring and threw a punch. Go Chief!

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
finally someone talking sense I hope this happens it could save so many little lives

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

It all boils down to fear. Guns are something to be deathly afraid of. Even if they're unloaded, and nobdy is holding one in their hand, that inanimate object has taken on a life of its own, and will jump up and get you.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I do believe that all of the recent mass killings have happened in "gun free" zones. Nothing like a big invitation.

I love my home state, and home town. If and when the # hits the fan, that's where Ill be. Reynolds county....the most dangerous place on earth if your a fed.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
So the guns the murder got was from his mother - a teacher at the school. So now you want all the rest of the teachers in america to have guns?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Agreed 100% and I too have called this place home since my birth.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
This is what myself and others have been saying all along. Shootings will stop with well trained, responsible adults being armed at the schools. It doesn't have to be all the teachers and faculty are armed, but at least some of them should be. It needs to be discussed and talked about. Taking guns is not the answer, disarming ourselves is not going to help innocent people against criminals who will still find ways to get guns. Just like our drug laws have prevented nothing, which by the way, the drug trade is run by the government and banks anyway. Outlawing guns will create an underground economy for guns and rest assured, the government will run and control that too and will walk guns to all their criminal friends, such as the Mexican cartels. Operation Fast and Furious anyone? Mexico passed some of the harshest gun laws many years ago, now look at them. Only the cartels have guns and over 40,000 are dead.

Thomas Jefferson said, "The beauty about the 2nd Amendment is that it won't be needed until they try to take it"

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
The people who carry out these crimes are mentally ill. They nearly always end up killing themselves. They won't be afraid if teachers have guns, because they want to die anyway.
You are all missing the blindingly obvious.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by homeslice

So the guns the murder got was from his mother - a teacher at the school. So now you want all the rest of the teachers in america to have guns?

Not quite! We should only arm those teachers that are trained, willing, ready, and capable, of shooting an armed intruder.

Had administrators and teachers at that school been armed, and willing, I have no doubt that the only deaths that day, would have been that of the mother, and that of the armed intruder.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong
The people who carry out these crimes are mentally ill. They nearly always end up killing themselves. They won't be afraid if teachers have guns, because they want to die anyway.

As are you. The sooner the attacker dies the better. A lot of damage is done while victims wait for cops to arrive.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Yeah until one Teacher gets pushed over the edge of life and decides to take out an entire classroom full of 4 year olds!

Then everyone will say Duh....How could we have let this happen......

edit on 17-12-2012 by studio500 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

As are you. The sooner the attacker dies the better. A lot of damage is done while victims wait for cops to arrive.

So you are saying school teachers should have a gun ready on top of their desk in case an intruder walks in and starts shooting. That is never going to happen. He takes the teacher out first before she has time to get his or her gun out.
I really cannot believe you think that the solution is to arm teachers. What happens if a child gets the gun out of the desk and starts firing it. Or do you suggest the teachers walk around with a holster.

If this wasn't so ridiculous it would be laughable. So your answer to stop mental people using guns is to give more people guns.

The solution is to treat the disease.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

edit on 12/17/2012 by Klassified because: Nevermind.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

No, you are the one who is "missing the blindingly obvious"! Arming teachers, is not about scaring the "mentally ill", or anyone else, for that matter. It is ONLY about allowing teachers, and others, the means to protect themselves, and the children in their charge, from an armed intruder.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

Also, if the general public didn't have access to automatic weapons the death toll would be much lower.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I support this police chief.

If you are a psycho looking to go out in a blaze of glory, and to live in infamy with your terrible acts, knowing you would probably be shot before you get more than a shot off would put a huge damper on your 'glorious' plans.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join