It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's talk about big breasted Chickens for a while

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
My chance of getting a good response may be better with the title

I am thinking of getting some MEAT CHICKENS next summer and am wondering if there are any varieties that have more dark meat than others. My daughter and I both prefer the dark meat and store chickens seem to have more white meat. My wife eats white meat but there is a lot more white than dark on these chickens.

People like me who have allergies should eat dark meat because it contains more selenium which can help them with their allergies. White meat is higher in Calcium.

Does anyone know the best variety of chickens that has a more equal ratio?
edit on 17-12-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

WOW!! Talk about a freaking BAIT AND SWITCH if I have ever heard one!!

You lost me at chickens.......

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

I thought the topic was going to be about big breasted chicks.
I used to be one many,many years ago

Look online for chicken breeders and see what you can find.
edit on 17-12-2012 by mamabeth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Star for "best use of the double entendre today".

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Sorry, no stars or flags for a post about your family's eating habits just so you can have your silly thread title

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Seems like everyone wants the big breasted ones, I've tried looking it up before. I found which turkeys to buy that had better dark meat.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I know nothing about chickens other than the breasts are the best part.

I give you a star for the flashy title.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

your titular, and rather foul use, of known male responses to feather your star count, is sad.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Clever. LOL. Verrrry, clever... and funny as hell.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Yeah you got me, I only saw the word BREAST and clicked, sorry i is a bloke and that be how my mind works.

Not sure about chickens but have you thought about maybe Duck or Rabbit they have dark meat and are just as easy to keep.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I thought all chickens have both dark and white meat. Isn't it really what kind of muscle it is? Striated or smooth muscle? I may be wrong.

Anyway you need to look at the giant breeds like Giant Jerseys or Giant Whites if you want them just for meat.

You can get an idea of what they look like and the different breeds here:

Murray McMurray Hatchery
edit on 17-12-2012 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Dear Sir in light of your titillating thread title,

May I suggest you avail yourself of a nice plump cock.

I'll get my coat.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
If you are going to do backyard flock / free range you should end up with a decent amount of dark meat. More exercise usually should equal more dark meat.

On the farm we'd gotten various different breeds over years and nature took its course. What we ended up with was the chicken version of a mutt. A basic "all around" chicken that was well suited to a (mostly) free range life on that farm. It was hardy, usually laid brown eggs, did good in the pot and had plenty of dark meat. Its looks would vary a bit..

Here are a couple of good resources ---

Best Chicken Breeds for Backyard Flocks

Henderson's Handy-Dandy Chicken Chart
edit on 17-12-2012 by Frogs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I knew what you were doing when I saw the title and the area posted! I tell ya what...I prefer free range, non genetically modified chickens. yeah sure...the breasts are smaller and they are a tad bit greasier....but they are much more flavorful...I can live with 'natural"...I assume most of us could once the figure out what damage the alternative does...

Just think about life 200 years ago...did they need what we demand....no...and they lived pretty well for the times. The chemical, biological and genetic companies are offering you candy from a strange old man....do you take it or did mommy and daddy teach you better...mine taught me better...I don't take candy from strangers.

Go ahead...pretend it's all natural...and when your children have an alarming rate of cancer...just hush...or...when they start exhibiting mutated forms....don't cry to us...you have been warned.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Read the title and said "sweet, a fun thread"... You're a boob for pulling that kind of stunt!

On topic, my ole lady and I are gonna start raising Chickens. Hopefully we get some good info out of this thread.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Funny, the subject says we're talking about big breasted chicks... but the thread is all about cocks.......?
edit on 17-12-2012 by unphased because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

So it isn't so much the brand as the amount of running around they do. That's interesting because that was something I couldn't find anywhere. I was looking for a breed of chicken though and wasn't researching a style of raising chickens. I plan to let them run around. I still need to get a huge pot for dipping them in too. I plan on buying them in the spring and slaughtering in early November. They sell them at tractor supply for a reasonable price.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
It depends on a lot of things. What's the weather like where you live? Do you want good egg layers? Do you hope to have them produce more chickens?

If you want just basic chickens that aren't an exteme challenge and are good for most environments in the US, go with Rhode Island Whites. They have good meat, good egg production and are relatively calm compared to some of the other breeds.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
This goes down as one of the bests posts I have seen on here ever love the double entendre
Man that made me laugh kudos

edit on 12/17/2012 by geocom because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

Every muscle on an animal has a different chemical makeup. Even the percentages of Omega 3 and Omega 6 is different depending on where it is on the animal. Every muscle tastes different because of the different chemistry they have. I did a lot of studying on that to see why they taste so different.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join