It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am a British Citizen NOT an “English Subject”!!!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrandStrategy

Originally posted by WaterBottle
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

What is also somewhat ignorant is you view on our laws, particularly when it comes to this odd believe that we live in a “Orwellian state”.

ATS is not a good representation of Americans.

ATS is full of hillbilly right wing extremists. Please do not get the idea that we are all like that.

that's right. it all went downhill when Barry the Bomber was first running for president. There was a monumental influx of right wing crazies with there conspiracy theories and end of the world predictions. Before that America was better represented on ATS

I disagree. I grew-up, like many non-Americans having a great fondness for American culture. I started reading super-hero comics around 1974 and the provided a great technicolour counterpoint to British comics. I grew-up watching American films and TV and when I got older I listened to a lot of American music from the 19th and 20th Centuries: everything from Old Time banjo music through to 60s garage and psychedelia. Then, in 1997, I got internet access at home which changed everything as I was able to talk to real Americans on a near daily basis. It shattered a lot of illusions.

As for ATS specifically, it was full of American 'right wing crazies', long before Obama. As an observation rather than a criticism, I'd say right wing politics and the idea of freedoms being taken away seem to underpin most American conspiratorial thinking.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
MUSLAMIC RAY-GUNS!

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir

Originally posted by GrandStrategy

Originally posted by WaterBottle
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

What is also somewhat ignorant is you view on our laws, particularly when it comes to this odd believe that we live in a “Orwellian state”.

ATS is not a good representation of Americans.

ATS is full of hillbilly right wing extremists. Please do not get the idea that we are all like that.

that's right. it all went downhill when Barry the Bomber was first running for president. There was a monumental influx of right wing crazies with there conspiracy theories and end of the world predictions. Before that America was better represented on ATS

I disagree. I grew-up, like many non-Americans having a great fondness for American culture. I started reading super-hero comics around 1974 and the provided a great technicolour counterpoint to British comics. I grew-up watching American films and TV and when I got older I listened to a lot of American music from the 19th and 20th Centuries: everything from Old Time banjo music through to 60s garage and psychedelia. Then, in 1997, I got internet access at home which changed everything as I was able to talk to real Americans on a near daily basis. It shattered a lot of illusions.

As for ATS specifically, it was full of American 'right wing crazies', long before Obama. As an observation rather than a criticism, I'd say right wing politics and the idea of freedoms being taken away seem to underpin most American conspiratorial thinking.

The difference is in the good ol days the right wing crazies would stick to topics they knew something about, like their constant alien abductions and big foot sightings

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
i think this video is a perfect example of us brits........ we love a laugh... even if we happen to be in a warzone.. so here it is posted by me for the ats community to bare witness to 21 engineer reg putting the great into great britain

it doesn't matter what the world thinks of us we are proud of our history and of who we are

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Ph03n1x

I disagree, I am not proud of being English at any rate. I think of myself as a person that lives on a particular piece of land that has had imaginary lines drawn on it by people who lived and died many years ago.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
It's pretty cut and dry to the rest of the world. You have a royal family, they live off your money.....You are their subjects.

If it is so hateful to you then revolt and get rid of them like we did........it feels great.....or should I say until idiots over here started to change our country into one.

Oh the irony, you are the most capitalist supporting nation on the planet. What does that mean? People living off your money, the money you produce. Taxes are nothing compared to surplus value.

So you didn't really get rid of much did you? You are all subjects of somebody. You are no more free than anyone else.

edit on 12/18/2012 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   

It's pretty cut and dry to the rest of the world. You have a royal family, they live off your money.....You are their subjects.

If it is so hateful to you then revolt and get rid of them like we did........it feels great.....or should I say until idiots over here started to change our country into one.

You have an elite, who live off your money and you are their subjects.

You didn't get rid of anyone really. What you did was just swap a monarchy for another form of elite. They're still snorting up your money like a cokehead's breakfast. They still create the laws that you have to live by. They'll still sacrifice you in their business and war interests.

The only real difference is that they managed to fool you into thinking that you 'won' and you're 'free' from an elite. Which is pretty sad, to be honest.
edit on 18-12-2012 by Merriman Weir because: .

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Where on earth did you get the idea that a monarchy "is so hateful " to us ?

The Queen is currently enjoying 90% approval ratings :-

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Alfie1

It seems very hateful to the OP, I was speaking to them.

All that "I am a citizen not a subject"

Monarchies have subjects....I didn't write the definition.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

Just thought i would throw this right back at you, from a different thread.......

"One last thing, since nothing Europe has to say matters in our affairs and hasn't for over 200 years.

If you don't like us having guns.....

Stay. Out. "

Nothing to do with you, so why are you commenting? Bummer when people throw your own words back at you isn't it?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I personally don't mind either way about the royal family, they have no real impact on my life.

Before someone pipes in about the tax payer funding them then the cost is about 50p per person a year.

I imagine being as poor as I am then I pay less but even the average is half what I would give a beggar/busker or simply someone who needed a pound.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Does not apply here.....nice try....the op was giving us a lesson in vocabulary with this thread, I was discussing the matter.

But I am not coming on here telling you you must change your laws to be called something else.....like all you Brits telling us to get rid of our guns.

That is not my business.....but I can argue a definition.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Monarchies have subjects....I didn't write the definition.

And clearly you never bothered to read the definition eaither, please see the link in my OP.

I am not saying that I want to be a citizen or that I believe I am a citizen rather than a subject I am telling you that I am legally speaking a British citizen the term “subject” has not been used in god knows how long.

It is insulting when people start with the snide remarks of “you’re a subject, not a citizen” it’s like you see yourself as somehow above us, as if we are below you rather than your equals

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
reply to post by Avgudar

England used to be a great nation, but now it's a pale clone of America. How sad!

Ok so what about the rest of the UK?

That just highlight the ignorance you were trying to point out, matey.

Some idiots seem to think England = UK and vice versa.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

But I have never swore such an oath so I am not a subject of the Queen.

Just to clear this bit up as well, after the British Nationality Act 1981, all people born in the UK are known as citizens (and subsequent EU law has made us EU citizens as well, including the Queen) not subjects. This includes anyone born in the colonies or commonwealth. Only a very few subjects remain which are people who's nationality wasn't clear at the time of the law passing and it is not transferable on death, meaning the last subjects should all be dead within 50 years.

So, in a nutshell, anyone claiming that we, in the UK, are "subjects" is talking out of their arse and is simply highlighting how chronically ill-informed they are to everyone else.

At any rate, being a subject didn't mean we were lesser, as the monarch has an obligation to protect her subjects. She has no obligation for citizens.........

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by CyberTruth
Well In School starting at about age 5

We were all forced to pledge an allegiance to the flag of the US and the republic for which it stands. Kind of funny how nobody refers to the US as a republic anymore. We've been brain beaten into the idea that now we are a democracy.

To be honest, you're schools failed you even more than you realised.

I have pointed this out to Americans before, but the terms Republic and Democracy are not mutually exclusive, in fact, they don't even describe the same thing.

A republic is simply a form of Government without a hereditary monarch.

A democracy is the method in which it is chosen.

The US is a Federal Democratic Republic.

It's like comparing an apple with a snail.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Of course it applies, on the the other thread you were basically saying we aren't American so butt out. Or are you one of those that thinks nothing applies to you and everything applies to everyone else? You can't have it both ways........on an international board...........

Besides which, the winking smiley face should have been a clue...........

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ararisq
You started it and we imported it. We have as many cameras as London now. It is the beginnings of an Orwellian state.

Most of the CCTV nonsense in the UK is based on a report from about 8 years ago, in which they claimed you could be caught on CCTV 300 times a day.

First thing, the report based it's national conclusion on a small area of London. Secondly, they did mention that 95% of all CCTV is privately owned, as in shops. Thirdly, the reports authors have since come out to cast doubt on their own findings.

I will also add that, as of 2010, New York has over 10,000 CCTV camera's operated by the authorities alone. Chicago is the same, as are other US cities. This is far higher than you will ever find in London.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

You are just picking fights and I don't care enough about what Brits are called to bother, call yourselves whatever you want.

It does not apply....

Telling the US to ban guns because you did and discussing the meaning of citizen or subjects is miles apart.

Blame the OP, they called out all other nations for not addressing them properly....

On the other hand the US didn't ask for your advice about our guns......see the difference.

Good night British citijects.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
You are a subject. I guess you missed the Constitutional Monarchy thing.

No, we're not. Guess you missed the Parliament is Sovereign thing and a little law passed in 1981.

By the way, the way the Muslims keep going, you are going to be a Muslim subject soon.

No, we're not. Proportionally, far less of our population is Muslim than yours is Mexican. Are you going to turn into Mexico?

They are taking over your country; you guys even allow Sharia courts.

They are for civil cases and only where both parties agree, just like the Jewish courts we've had for decades. In fact, if you and I agree on the matter, we could form a Jedi court to settle our dispute over family money.

So lets get one thing straight. You are a subject, and you will continue to be a subject either under Muslim control or British Monarchy control.

Sometimes I do wonder how on earth you ever came to be the worlds superpower when there is always a shocking level of stupidity on display...

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join