It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NBC's Richard Engels missing in Syria

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

NBC

gawker.com

NBC News chief foreign correspondent Richard Engel has gone missing in Syria, according to Turkish news reports. The reports also say that Aziz Akyavaş, a Turkish journalist working with Engel, is unaccounted for.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 17-12-2012 by boot2theface because: title

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I truly hope for the best for him. He has always seemed to put himself in the most dangerous positions on the planet, and as it currently seems, it may have caught up with him. NBC has also ordered a blackout of the news story in the U.S., but apparently it is being reported in foreign countries. Can anyone outside the U.S. confirm this?

gawker.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by boot2theface

I'm gonna toss out a quick note... If NBC is saying blackout, it would be a decent thing for the media to do in honoring that request. There could be a very critical, life and death reason for that request and 'nough said beyond simply that NBC is a news organization....even with it being their own guy, they are still in the news business and THIS is news. If a Blackout is what they beg for....there is more than news happening right this second.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I would agree, except it appears, as the article suggests, that other countrie's news outlets are indeed reporting on it.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Good luck Rich.
If you make it out of there relatively unscathed, your career will have its highlight...but I do worry that ultimately reporters don't have much luck when going hostage in the middle east.

If he is clever, he will try to negotiate a "documentry" from whatever side has caught them...get the word out of why the other side fights, etc..then he may go from prisoner to embedded reporter if there are any sane minds leading...

But, if its anything like the iraqi's, it will be a crappy video and a missing head.

disturbing, but not without a glimmer of hope.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Indeed.... I noticed that. I wonder if any Italian papers are running all over with it...That would be irony after their own little misadventure a few years ago in another war zone.

Oh, and I meant media.. It crossed my mind someone might think I was trying to be a jerk and suggest us normal folk shouldn't talk about whatever we choose to... Never! Not from me, anyway.

I just hope they get their guy back alive if he's not truly missing as a question mark.

nvm... bad time to speculate..and my bad for going there.
edit on 17-12-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I would like for this thread to be taken down. No offence OP, but this is just unacceptable (from the source, not you). The less this is talked about, the better it is for him. It was specifically asked for the black out.

The gawker just went down a few pegs IMO for decency. We should head over there and post similar responses to the ones there already asking for it to be taken down.

Those other countries aren't helping, and that is not to say that since he is from the west, that we might do the most damage.

edit on 17-12-2012 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
It's already running all over the net and on a few networks guys...

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
This should be moved to the RATS forum.

After all this type of thing was exactly why it was created, correct?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Who has a drunkenparrot and is full of useful ideas, that guy.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

For the time being, out of a sense of caution and respect for the potential worst-case scenario, I have taken the liberty of moving this thread to RATS to keep it out of the 'searchable' internet.

Should the time come when the OP feels it is appropriate, we can always restore it to another Forum...

Thank you for your patience... and carry on.

MM

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thorneblood
It's already running all over the net and on a few networks guys...

That may be the case... but we here at ATS are seldom inclined towards the mob mentality that overruns the Internet.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

No problem man; completely agreeable decision. Sorry if I may have overstepped the bounds by posting the topic, but I felt it was big news.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by boot2theface
reply to post by Maxmars

No problem man; completely agreeable decision. Sorry if I may have overstepped the bounds by posting the topic, but I felt it was big news.

You didnt do anything wrong... let's hope the move was unnecessary in the end.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Cant stand the network, but I respect the man. I hope he is safe and sound

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Its on the drudgereport.com... out there every where. www.breitbart.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Maybe he'll think about what he says after this. I don't respect him.

During the first uprising in Egypt he was emphasizing how the teargas canisters were stamped Made in the USA, as if we had some direct connection to the turmoil because they used American-made gas.

He's a # stirrer is that one.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Now that we're in RATS and out of the search indexes.....

If they are calling for a blackout? I'm guessing they are negotiating for his life right now or perhaps, in a stage of trying to find him. I'm thinking the former without more info tho. This is what networks have done before when their people go MIA and then...suddenly appear again. Blackouts keep stupidity from pissing off the bad guys and killing hostages out of pure spite, IMO.

Unless NBC has backed clear off their request to be discreet...then I hope those media places realize what they're doing. It could be THEIR guy just as easily the next time ...and they'll be the ones crying and begging for the world to STFU before the bad guys shoot them just for the hell of it.
edit on 17-12-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

I'm guessing they are negotiating for his life right now
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I hope that this is not the case, but it seems very likely given the blackout. My question is: What faction within Syria would do this? The Syrian rebels, who have been receiving support from the US? It doesn't make since really. I don't claim to really be "in the know" as far as the political turmoil there is going though.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Any updates on this?/ My wife and I love Richard Engel. He's too good for other news sources to ignore nbc's request for a blackout.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join