It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Security fails as top games leaked online

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Pirated copies of a pair of 2004's most hotly anticipated computer games were leaked online this week, highlighting the need for better technical and physical security at the companies that make the games.

Rockstar Games� Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, a sequel to one of the top-selling video games of all time was scheduled for commercial release on 26 October but surfaced on websites on Wednesday. Microsoft�s Halo 2, also a best-seller sequel, was leaked on 15 October, weeks before its 9 November release date.

Game software finds its way online before a release date either via a dishonest employee or by a remote hack attack which captures code stored online on a vulnerable system.

Neither Microsoft nor Rockstar have pinned down precisely the source of their leaks but security experts are convinced that in both cases company insiders leaked the code, either for a bribe, or to gain �underground notoriety�.

LMAO WOW HACKERS HAVE GOTTEN GOOD AT WHAT THEY DO!!!! (OR EMPLOYEES HAVE GOTTEN DISONEST)

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Link please.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
(HERE IS LINK)
www.newscientist.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Wow, it's amazing how many issues come up with more technology.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   
LMAO Ya I know lol! But seriously if you were a game devoloper wouldn't you have high-tech security and the best Anti-Hack/Virus Systems!!! I mean think if somone got a hold of Doom 3 and released it publicly Doom 3 would be out of money, and technology!!!!

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by portfreezer
LMAO Ya I know lol! But seriously if you were a game devoloper wouldn't you have high-tech security and the best Anti-Hack/Virus Systems!!! I mean think if somone got a hold of Doom 3 and released it publicly Doom 3 would be out of money, and technology!!!!

Not necassarily.. different copies of doom3 were leaked during its making. Mostly engine code and whatnot. Same happened with Halflife2

Regardless if its leaked before it's released, it'll still be on the net for free within a matter of hours after its release with a crack. One has only to look in the right places. Newsgroups are probably the next big target of warez-busters. They cracked down on IRC and BitTorrent, but newsgroups are still pouring with games, movies, apps, ect..

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I mean if they got the whole game and released it before doom 3 then the devolopers couldn't prove a thing!

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I dont think the Halo2 leak will hurts sales since its in French and there is already 1.5 million pre-orders for the game. There is also already a $100,000 fine for anyone found with a illegal copy not really worth it for a game in French thats comming out in a few weeks.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Ya good point but still game leaks are a bit of a scare especially when in the future(more then likely) everythign will be computer based and if hackers r as good as they are now then he world will be screwed!!!!

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I posted something like this already, actually a while ago. A mod displaced the thread to "video games" in below top secret, where it got little to no views. Mods seem to be more lenient this time around. Hopefully this will stay in ats, since in bts thread like this seem to die down quickly.

[edit on 24-10-2004 by websurfer]

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   
That's because BTS is BS without the t.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   
LMAO mike u better hope a mod didn't see that you will get a warning!

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I'm sorry, I didn't mean anything by what I said, I just like to poke fun at everything I can without going to far. I didn't go to far, did I?

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
human knowledge doubles every 5 years now

as opposed to every 100 years only a century ago

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucretius
human knowledge doubles every 5 years now

as opposed to every 100 years only a century ago

That doesn't make sense. A century is a 100 years. No logic to that argument. What does that have to do with games being leaked. Your saying that the game developers aren't getting with the times, their fan base is $tupid. ehhh.

Heres a beter quote to ponder.

"Human knowledge isn't doubling, its the internet that links a lot of people together that make it seem so. " FYI posted by websurfer 10/24/04 at 11pm

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Hahah, TBH well done to these hackers....If these companies werent so hell bent on making MASS profits, then maybe hackers wouyld be a little more leniant towards them....Still though its good to see how sercurity really does need to be stepped up....Ok these might have only been companies but could you imagine what would happen if one of these hackers got into the GOVERNEMENT systems or ARMY controls :| SCARY THOUGHT !

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I would think / hope that the developers would have the new games and all associated code on an internal server with no outside links.
I worked the last few years in corporate security for a large IT/Comms corporation and the biggest threat to company intellectual property always comes from within. I expect this was someone from the inside wanting to make a lot of money quick.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Aye, and its something that will be VERY hard to stop....Untill there is something implemented such as a secrecary act...etc....This problem will persist.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   
As anyone who is knowledgeable about computer networks knows, if a network (computer) is linked to the internet, it can be hacked into.

We can make it more difficult and or challenging, but if someone(s) are really good they can get in.

Don't think so-ask major banks/credit card companies-usually one and the same.
Ask the Pentagon-yes, the pentagon-it has been hacked many times.

Securing a network is like putting an alarm on a car. You can put the best-most expensive one your car, but if an expert wants it-they will get it.

The only way to prevent loss is on an intranet, with no means or removing data-no floppy, disk burners....and it not being connected to the internet. Even then hard drives can be stolen and or copied and returned.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Anyone gat sites to download games, wires... from?

top topics

join