It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First day back to school after shooting, How will schools address our children ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Can schools offer our children counseling without parental consent ?
Will the schools ask the children if mommy and daddy own guns ?
Will schools be on constant alert, can we expect armed guards on campas ?
Too much fear will cause over reaction and innocent people will get hurt.
Don't over react but be alert and stay calm, folks.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I'm actually in school now, and there's not anything different from a normal day.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Here's how it was handled at the elementary school where I work.

First, an email from the principal:

Good morning. If students ask questions today about Friday’s events, let’s focus them on the fact that we have plans and safety measures in place as a school. Then get them re- focused on the fact that we all need to do our best on the business at hand – school this week. If someone seems in extreme crisis, let me know and I will see if I can get a district counselor to come over later today. Thank you for all you do. I know that any one of you would lay down your life for our children if need be. You are a wonderful group of dedicated people.

Followed by an email from the district superintendent:

As we all work to grapple with the horrifying events of Friday in Newtown, Connecticut, it is important to first acknowledge our feelings and those of students and parents. Please know that the Crisis Team and social workers will be available to talk with anyone who feels that would be helpful.

I am certain we are all impacted, touched, impressed, overwhelmed, by the sheer heroism of educators at Sandy Hook Elementary School on Friday. Educators are heroes every day and that was never more evident than on Friday. In the spirit of the holidays, let us be kinder to one another, mourn the loss of life on Friday, and commit to doing everything we can to ensure that violence is simply unacceptable, whether in schools, at malls, in movie theaters, or in parking lots of grocery stores.

The following points may assist you and your students.

• It is important to answer students' questions without dwelling on the violence. Let them know that it is okay to be upset or angry.
• Return to routine to the best extent possible.
• Provide opportunities for children to express their feelings through writing, talking, musical expression, or through art. Observe and listen to them carefully.
• We all have an obligation to take threats of any kind seriously. Please report any threat to the safety of your classroom or site to your supervisor and to the Crisis Line.
• Embrace our lockdown drills, crisis plans, and emergency response plans. It was clearly evident that the staff at Sandy Hook Elementary School did everything they could to protect children.

A Parent Advisory will go home today to all parents. It will include more extensive information about how to deal with this or any crisis. Thank you.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by OLD HIPPY DUDE

Our school district had an armed police officer at EVERY school in the district today.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
My daughter is in Kindergarten and my wife went in and asked the teacher how they were going to address it. My 5 year old has no idea what happened in that school - and she shouldn't. Not at her age. Anyways our school said they are not going to address it or mention it at all. If a student asks about it the teacher and or a counselor will answer their questions or needs privately.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by OLD HIPPY DUDE

I'm in CO and in our school district, they sent home emails on Friday stating they'd have counselors available to any students, teachers, or even parents who are affected emotionally. In order to have your child speak to one, the parent must call the school and request it. I agree with this. My daughter was severely affected and she is 11. BUT, with the Jessica Ridgeway abduction/murder, the Aurora theater, living across the street last year from the mom that murdered her two children (a boy who was in her class), and now THIS, the poor thing was hysterical to be left alone with her brother and the babysitter/nanny so we could go christmas shopping. She was freaking out, thinking something bad would happen to her. Come to find out, it is because of all of this. You can shelter them from the news & too much info, but kids aren't dumb and their ears & eyes are wide open.

I will say this. Our school district is saying they're reviewing safety procedures & stepping up patrols. Patrols? Yes. When bringing her to school today, my husband saw cop cars patrolling the school parking lot and the neighborhood. In fact, one guy in a pickup got questioned by police in front of parents and children because he was parked by the school and didn't appear to be dropping off or picking up. Turns out, his older son was walking the younger child up to the school and the dad was waiting, before bringing the son to middle school for the day. I don't know which is worse, wondering if the kids are safe, or kids seeing cops patrolling for protection, makes me think too many police is worse, freaks the kids and the parents out. I know they're erring on the side of caution, but psychologically, it might be worse for kids to see this when there isn't a known credible threat.

top topics

join