It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Connecticut School Shooting Doesn’t Deter Crowd At Gun Show In Montgomery County

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I know there has been a surplus of posts concerning gun control, and the tragic mass shooting. And both sides of the aisle are at each others throats on their ideas of what is "right"

I just came across a story that shows a huge line of people waiting outside of a gun show, and when the reporter asks for some opinions, most echoed what was said here. There are crazy people in this world, and they will kill you with whatever they can find.

I'm personally for the ownership of a firearm, but I do believe that there needs to be some oversight on obtaining certain firearms.

OAKS, Pa. (CBS) — A gun show in Montgomery County drew a huge crowd on Sunday, despite calls for stricter gun control after a shooting rampage at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut. If gun control advocates were hoping the scale of death at Sandy Hook Elementary School would dampen enthusiasm for the purchase of guns, the line of people waiting to get in to the Greater Philadelphia Expo Center was evidence to the contrary. “It’s more crowded than it has been in the past.”

The crowd was diverse, there were even families with children, but none of the shoppers admitted to even a moment’s pause about guns after Friday’s mass murder in Connecticut. Terrible, they agreed, but unrelated to the shooter’s access to guns.

“There’s knives, hammers, baseball bats, all kinds of things have killed people,” Crazy people get in cars and kill people. You don’t hear anything about restricting that.”

Gun enthusiasts know an event such as the Sandy Hook massacre is likely to bring calls for gun control, and they are armed with what have become familiar defenses.

“A rifle doesn’t kill people, people kill people. Crazy stuff is going to happen whether it is done with a gun or a car or anything.”

Not trying to beat a dead horse, I just wanted to post this article to show that people aren't quite ready to just happily hand over their firearms.

Source
edit on 12/17/2012 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Events like this one CT followed by all the mouth breathing authoritarians crawling out of the shadows to scream for more tyranny only boost sales.

I wouldnt be surprised if right now manufacturers of firearms and components and magazines are preparing to go to 24 hour capacity the way they did leading up to Clintons AWB.

Even if difi got her way and passed an AWB with no grandfathering it would be 100+ years before supply even began to dwindle.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Events like this one CT followed by all the mouth breathing authoritarians crawling out of the shadows to scream for more tyranny only boost sales.

I wouldnt be surprised if right now manufacturers of firearms and components and magazines are preparing to go to 24 hour capacity the way they did leading up to Clintons AWB.

Even if difi got her way and passed an AWB with no grandfathering it would be 100+ years before supply even began to dwindle.

Yeah, the last time I went to the gun shop and discussed a few brands of firearms, the guy said there would be a long wait period for any type of special personal modified firearms. up to like 2 months or so. So despite all the calls for gun bans, regulation, banning of milk whatever the case, people are still going to buy guns. If the system were to collapse, guns and ammo would be very good to barter with.. a lot more useful than an ipod

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
where have you heard, or seen, all of these people that are happy to turn over their firearms? i've heard of gun "buybacks" by law enforcement agencies for money, netting at most a couple of hundred guns, mostly from households that think they might be too dangerous to have in their own homes, due to old age, small children, or simply to clean out someones closet or garage.
but the massive guns sales going on all across the country, simply makes what you say...uhmm....less than honest.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

the gun buybacks are directed toward illegal owners of guns or for people who find a gun...if you have a legal gun you would get more money selling it much like you would a car...these programs have been very successful in getting a gun off of the street but it's only takes a few days before the new illegal guns arrive..

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
where have you heard, or seen, all of these people that are happy to turn over their firearms? i've heard of gun "buybacks" by law enforcement agencies for money, netting at most a couple of hundred guns, mostly from households that think they might be too dangerous to have in their own homes, due to old age, small children, or simply to clean out someones closet or garage.
but the massive guns sales going on all across the country, simply makes what you say...uhmm....less than honest.

What I was getting at was that people aren't willing to just give up their rights because some lunatic went on a shooting spree. I don't see how these gun sales are "dishonest"? These things happen everyday, there are literally gun shows happening everyday, this one incident might have sparked people's interest into the safety of their own family, so they perhaps educate themselves and become responsible firearm owners... like most people who own a firearm..

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by chrismarco
reply to post by jimmyx

the gun buybacks are directed toward illegal owners of guns or for people who find a gun...if you have a legal gun you would get more money selling it much like you would a car...these programs have been very successful in getting a gun off of the street but it's only takes a few days before the new illegal guns arrive..

That pretty much sums up how I feel on the gun buyback program as well.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by eXia7

What I was getting at was that people aren't willing to just give up their rights because some lunatic went on a shooting spree. I don't see how these gun sales are "dishonest"? These things happen everyday, there are literally gun shows happening everyday, this one incident might have sparked people's interest into the safety of their own family, so they perhaps educate themselves and become responsible firearm owners... like most people who own a firearm..

i didn't imply that the guns sales are "dishonest"....i'm saying that the government IS NOT trying to do away with the 2nd amendment, or take away someones guns...they are trying to pass laws on mandatory backround checks, and on massive ammo clips... i don't know why this is even an issue. if someone cannot stop a burglar with a .45 semi that has a 10-round clip, that person doesn't need a AR-15 auto with a 30 round clip.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by eXia7

i didn't imply that the guns sales are "dishonest"....i'm saying that the government IS NOT trying to do away with the 2nd amendment, or take away someones guns...they are trying to pass laws on mandatory backround checks, and on massive ammo clips... i don't know why this is even an issue. if someone cannot stop a burglar with a .45 semi that has a 10-round clip, that person doesn't need a AR-15 auto with a 30 round clip.

Ok, I misunderstood at first. But I know they aren't going to try and take our guns... for now. And I have no issues with what you said here. I agree about not having an automatic weapon with a 30 round clip. But honestly if somebody broke into your house with an automatic weapon, and you had a .45 I'm not sure you'll put up much of a fight. So maybe i don't agree..
edit on 12/17/2012 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Ahh, to have to love a nice gun show.
The free market at its best.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
iv'e been to that show and bought a nice little Glock 26 for about 425.00, nice deal indeed. btw the line to that show is that long every year.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle
iv'e been to that show and bought a nice little Glock 26 for about 425.00, nice deal indeed. btw the line to that show is that long every year.

Yeah we have similar lines like that for our local shows, if that line is normal each year, and the article said more people showed up than before, WOW that's a lot of people, who knows how far that line went past the camera

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Why would it? Does an 20 car automobile crash stop people from buying new cars? Do kids drowning in pools hurt pool sales?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
Why would it? Does an 20 car automobile crash stop people from buying new cars? Do kids drowning in pools hurt pool sales?

Good point,

The industry must move on.

new topics

top topics

join