Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Yoga programs in public schools face backlash

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I wonder why the noise is all about. After all, its the most commonly used exercise method around the world. It doesn't require a costly membership nor equipments. It has ranges of simple vs complex exercises if you wish to pursue. Even the US Marines introduced the Meditation Program (LINK1). There are many international sports accepted into schools. Why not Yoga? Its the Insecure bunch that are opposing the program.

Then the lesson begins with deep breathing and stretches common to many yoga classes. But there is no chanting of "om," no words spoken in the Indian language of Sanskrit nor talk of "mindfulness" or clasping hands in the prayer position.

LINK2
Your comments/viewpoints/opinions/thoughts please.
edit on 17-12-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

I use yoga in my first grade class. Not a lot, we don't get out mats and do poses. But the deep breathing exercises are wonderful for helping kids calm down

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
reply to post by hp1229

I use yoga in my first grade class. Not a lot, we don't get out mats and do poses. But the deep breathing exercises are wonderful for helping kids calm down
Precisely. Its all about stretching and breathing techniques. What amazes me that self defense techniques (martial arts) is just as popular around the world and folks do not mind even if a school decided to introduce self defense classes (not sure if they do). Yet people are concerned about the basic exercise that makes up the very foundation/basis for many martial arts techniques
edit on 17-12-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I'd have to attend some sessions to make a judgement. If the children are encouraged to do new age stupid crap like "concentrate on the light within themselves" or "become one with consciousness" or "open themselves to the nature around them" then yes I oppose it. If it's stretching then who cares? We did calisthenics when I was in school and it didn't hurt anyone.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Yoga is the biggest gift you can give yourself in this life. Its not a religion.
No need to be afraid of it, let the kids decide!

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ahamarlinYoga is the biggest gift you can give yourself in this life. Its not a religion. No need to be afraid of it, let the kids decide!
So is vegetarianism which many kids believe in these days which is also part of the eastern religion(s). I'm amazed why parents are not opposing to hollywood and/or other media which is much more destructive/damaging then yoga?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
reply to post by hp1229

And the kids could also learn that speaking to their Father in Heaven through prayer will work- that seeking His will would bring them true peace. But instead, we are teaching our children yoga and meditation - looking to the other gods of the east. Getting the mats out and teaching them deep breathing exercises is indoctrinating them with meditation - a spiritual practice[/b of emptying the mind in direct contradition to the Word of God that many of their forefathers placed their Faith in. And parents and teachers just accept it as if it's harmless and productive, yet can't tie it to the hundreds of millions now being led into "global consciousness", "spiritual awakening" and "evolution of consciousness" cults.

....(Jesus said)....."but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea." Matthew 18:6

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
I'd have to attend some sessions to make a judgement. If the children are encouraged to do new age stupid crap like "concentrate on the light within themselves" or "become one with consciousness" or "open themselves to the nature around them" then yes I oppose it. If it's stretching then who cares? We did calisthenics when I was in school and it didn't hurt anyone.

You're against 'opening yourself to the nature' around you? Sad.

Calisthenics? You obviously don't get the point of this.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

So is vegetarianism which many kids believe in these days which is also part of the eastern religion(s). I'm amazed why parents are not opposing to hollywood and/or other media which is much more destructive/damaging then yoga?

a Veg-a-what? them's foreign people we dont
take kindly to people who dont eat meat.
/sarcasm
To each their own, but personally i could not do it..
veggies are ok, but could not do without the meat.

we love all of god's creatures up here, we have a special
place for them, right between the potatoes and corn.

as for the yoga,, i dont see what its hurting, i would think
in a school setting it would be useful in helping them learn
to control them self and their breathing.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by severdsoul

seen plenty such characters too
I'm not advocating anything. I'm just curious and puzzled at the viewpoints against something that is considered as exercise.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

I have to agree, with the lack of exercise
in schools now days you would think any
would be welcomed.
Our son went into 7th grade and they dont
have any exercise, no PE or anything, its a
elective... i find that as odd considering back
in the days when i was in school you had to have
at least one form of PE every year till you graduated.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by WhoKnows100

Problem is not everyone is Christian. You just don't want kids being exposed to other view points and over religions. There is nothing wrong with yoga. It would be a healthy way to keep kids calm instead of drugging them up. I am not a christian, so spitting out bible verses do not convince me to change my beliefs.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I wish more people would homeschool, or smart child care/homecare places who wanted a competive edge, preferably teachers aid training or a natural teacher, would have homeschool modules and maybe take a few kids in the same grade and charge a little extra.

Its really hard to organize a whole grade, my father was a teacher for over 16 years and a good one, he is very good at organizing, so he is homeschooling my youngest, and taking him far further than the school's LED programs, for his apraxia, he's actually catching up, and has excellent comprehension. And a kind of PE is done, yoga is perfectly acceptable, variety of things are needed. The school system fails many students to begin with, and the course material is not what I'd want for my children.

The problem for most adults would be organizing the home schooling material, its quite intensive and my father spends quite a lot of time in organizing how he wants my son to learn and even meets with the program administators telling them as a math teacher he would never teach this way in these kinds of modules, so he's reorganize the math lessons, and needs future lessons, because he will be introducing it in a different manner.

In any case, I consider the entire school system outdated and absurd. It should be, reading and writing with modules in science and a variety of things. I would love meditation and yoga taught. I would have no religion but early on as electives do comparative religion without any special slants and mainly choosing to teach critical thinking, ie. it would show how important discernment is and take only the most peaceful and loving things and treat all the rest as primitive examples of mental illness.

But within a few years, most things beyond being able to read, and there should be half an hour to an hour of reading every day without noise, at the beginning, to get kids fluid, most other things should be electives to begin with, with only short refresher modules to balance them out, so they can easily pick up and retrain in later grades.

Yoga, Tai CHi, should all be core units in physical education. I would eliminate any mandatory running, lots of kids of health problems and my son was taken out of PE before home schooling as he has a heart murmur and is quite high strung energetic kid, and tells me his chest hurts.

Whereas I would never have taken him out of Tai Chi or Yoga.

Oh and private schools, nah! People want better programs then work on creating better universal education so everyone benefits.
edit on 19-12-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chopper

Problem is not everyone is Christian. You just don't want kids being exposed to other view points and over religions. There is nothing wrong with yoga. It would be a healthy way to keep kids calm instead of drugging them up. I am not a christian, so spitting out bible verses do not convince me to change my beliefs.

Tolarence goes both ways. Yoga is not just an execrise. It is designed to allow entities in to your body through clearing the mind, and the various poses. I really do mind it now that after my oldest daughter had to go through it in gym class. Her attitude changed from her normal to hate, and she even said she felt a negative change within her. Unfortunatly she told me too late, and she only had one week left, or I would have talked to the gym teacher about it, and would have tried my best to exempt her. I would have had the backing from my church also. After a lot of prayer and time, she is fine now.

It goes much deeper than just being exposed to other view points. The christian version of meditation has nothing to do with clearing out the mind.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
My other half is a music teacher for a pre-school.
This pre-school has french lessons, yoga, and music lessons - and those are just the ones I know of.
I think it's nice to enrich children with different activities.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mystery_Lady

Tolarence goes both ways. Yoga is not just an execrise. It is designed to allow entities in to your body through clearing the mind, and the various poses. I really do mind it now that after my oldest daughter had to go through it in gym class. Her attitude changed from her normal to hate, and she even said she felt a negative change within her. Unfortunatly she told me too late, and she only had one week left, or I would have talked to the gym teacher about it, and would have tried my best to exempt her. I would have had the backing from my church also. After a lot of prayer and time, she is fine now.

It goes much deeper than just being exposed to other view points. The christian version of meditation has nothing to do with clearing out the mind.

Originally posted by WhoKnows100
And the kids could also learn that speaking to their Father in Heaven through prayer will work- that seeking His will would bring them true peace. But instead, we are teaching our children yoga and meditation - looking to the other gods of the east. Getting the mats out and teaching them deep breathing exercises is indoctrinating them with meditation - a spiritual practice[/b of emptying the mind in direct contradition to the Word of God that many of their forefathers placed their Faith in. And parents and teachers just accept it as if it's harmless and productive, yet can't tie it to the hundreds of millions now being led into "global consciousness", "spiritual awakening" and "evolution of consciousness" cults.

....(Jesus said)....."but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea." Matthew 18:6

Originally posted by jjkenobi

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why your beloved USA is a degenerate nation, mentally stuck 50 years behind the rest of the world. Christ I really do hope your country falls apart, because when you are together, you are a body of stupidy and ignorance which I feel is genuinely harming the rest of the world in completely unacceptable ways.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   

I really do mind it now that after my oldest daughter had to go through it in gym class. Her attitude changed from her normal to hate, and she even said she felt a negative change within her.

That's called puberty.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Is it April Fools day?

Are you people seriously saying that yoga is in some way sacrilegious to Christianity because of meditation?

The bible tells you to meditate. Jesus meditated. If you do not meditate on the Lord then you are a non-believer... you do not pray. You do not even believe there is anyone who knows you if you do not meditate on the Lord.

This thread is ludicrous. The Dharmas mostly do not speak of Jehovah and Jesus because they actually preceded the writings about them... is that so hard to understand? It doesn't mean they are anti-christian. They are Asian teachings and many of them are useful... get over it.

Breathing exercises is one of the best things you can do for your health. Yoga is great for you. God did not say not to exercise, that's crazy. You're SUPPOSED to mediate.
edit on 21-12-2012 by NotAnAspie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
edit on 21-12-2012 by Email because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

So the prayer time brought her back to normal? Hmmm. I guess whatever works for her just as long as she is healthy. It all depends on how deep or intense the yoga practices are. It also depends on who is teaching the exercises and how they wish to motivate the participants. There are several different types of Yogas
Below is brief wiki explanation. YOGA

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join