It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Sandy aid bill filled with holiday goodies unrelated to storm damage

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Well, with all of the other crazy events going, it seems as if obama and co are ready to start pumping out cash for sandy victims, or is it for the sandy victims?

WASHINGTON — President Obama’s $60.4 billion request for Hurricane Sandy relief has morphed into a huge Christmas stocking of goodies for federal agencies and even the state of Alaska, The Post has learned. The pork-barrel feast includes more than $8 million to buy cars and equipment for the Homeland Security and Justice departments. It also includes a whopping $150 million for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to dole out to fisheries in Alaska and $2 million for the Smithsonian Institution to repair museum roofs in DC. An eye-popping $13 billion would go to “mitigation” projects to prepare for future storms. BARELY HOLDING ON: A woman stands amid rubble in Sandy-thrashed Breezy Point, Queens, where more federal assistance would be welcome.

Dan Callister BARELY HOLDING ON: A woman stands amid rubble in Sandy-thrashed Breezy Point, Queens, where more federal assistance would be welcome. Other big-ticket items in the bill include $207 million for the VA Manhattan Medical Center; $41 million to fix up eight military bases along the storm’s path, including Guantanamo Bay, Cuba; $4 million for repairs at Kennedy Space Center in Florida; $3.3 million for the Plum Island Animal Disease Center and $1.1 million to repair national cemeteries. Budget watchdogs have dubbed the 94-page emergency-spending bill “Sandy Scam.” Matt Mayer of the conservative Heritage Foundation slammed the request as an “enormous Christmas gift worth of stuff.” “The funding here should be focused on helping the community and the people, not replacing federal assets or federal items,” he said. Republican lawmakers say the lack of details and justifications for the spending will delay approval until after Christmas, while they analyze and document what spending is “appropriate.” “To throw out a number this large without in-depth analysis and formal request detailing the basis for it I think is premature and I wouldn’t support that,” said Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.).

Gov. Cuomo yesterday warned Congress not to hold up the money. “There is no Plan B,” declared Cuomo at a press conference at the governor’s office in Manhattan, where he was joined by business and union leaders. Mayor Bloomberg, however, called for careful scrutiny of the federal spending. “You would think they’d want to ask questions before they give away the public’s money,” the mayor said on his radio program.

It looks like obama and co. have found a way to stuff their stockings this year, all while using a tragedy like the sandy superstorm to do it. It's amazing to me that they could sneak in all of these extra expenses for things that are completely unrelated to the issue. I hope some people make a revision to this bill, because it's just more money wasted for the government to have lavish items. I guess the phrase "never let a good tragedy go to waste" sums up how these people are viewing the situation.

Source NYPost
edit on 12/17/2012 by eXia7 because: forgot to add source

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Not surprising at all

they know 99% wont read it so they will get away with it.
They cant come out and say oh were dumping millions on this and that.

this makes me wonder what the budget is going to look like come January.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Last year his stocking was stuffed with the sole-authority to assassinate Americans within the borders of the United States.

I've been dreading what he asked for Christmas this year.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I guess this is what they mean by never letting a crisis go to waste?

You know, Louisiana is among several states which have a very nice law that we ought to consider nationally. Bills submitted to their statehouse must be S I N G L E I S S U E.
No making a bill for victims even Scrooge would feel bad for....then loading it with enough crap to make the victims it was all for the LEAST important part of the thing by the end.

I say we see a new change in Congress to outright prohibit this game of screwing us over regularly by presenting a bill the public understands one way but has little or no relation to that understanding for what it really does.

Corruption comes in many forms. Fleecing the victims of a major disaster for pork has got to be among the worst forms.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Ridiculous...but not surprised. The Gov always "tags" their wish list onto things that need to be done. Perhaps they need to redraft this thing...one draft at just assistance to the residents and infrastructure of the damaged east coast...and another draft with their "gimme-gimme's". See which one gets passed.

I find it extremely annoying when they do this...and both sides do this. Whether it be spending or legal legislation...they attache these bill riders or pork spending hoping the base bill will carry enough weight to get the stupid crap through.

Line item veto is the way to go with this kind of crap.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

These other's might grab for anything dangling in front of them that looks like food...

but I am not biting.

Where is your link?

If it is ok with you...I'd like to consider the source.

This is suspicious and needs explaining... sure, but might be another in a long line of manufactured BS - the only manufacturing the GOP seems to be up to lately.

edit on 17-12-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I guess this is what they mean by never letting a crisis go to waste?

You know, Louisiana is among several states which have a very nice law that we ought to consider nationally. Bills submitted to their statehouse must be S I N G L E I S S U E.
No making a bill for victims even Scrooge would feel bad for....then loading it with enough crap to make the victims it was all for the LEAST important part of the thing by the end.

I say we see a new change in Congress to outright prohibit this game of screwing us over regularly by presenting a bill the public understands one way but has little or no relation to that understanding for what it really does.

Corruption comes in many forms. Fleecing the victims of a major disaster for pork has got to be among the worst forms.

I agree, but you have to remember that most of the us is so embroiled in their day to day lives that they dont care to know anything about the system or the bills it spews out.

The first step in understanding is taking the time to absorb all facets involved with the govt.

Its just something we do well here on ATS.

They gave the people what "They Wanted" as to occupy their minds and make them drones in the grand sheme.

We are nothing more than servants to the system, the system own each and every one of us.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Yeah, the spending insanity is going at full throttle, I hate to see what else they have planned down the pipe line, But I guess it's ok to this administration, it will all be ok to them because bernanke will just keep pumping fiat paper into the system, all the while the government will say everything is going to be fine.

Just think, it's mine, yours, and every other working american that pays these taxes, for these fools to spend on whatever they want. I just hope some people in leadership positions really re-work this bill, and send all the AID to where it is really needed, and that would be for the areas only affected by the sandy super storm.. it makes my blood boil watching them waste money and not help those it was intended for.

source was added. Sorry about that
edit on 12/17/2012 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Obama came in at 14 trillion debt marker....he intends to go out at 28 trillion or more.

there are no spending cuts, he knows its a sinking ship and he dont care.

He is only leaving bush and his mess for the in line to deal with.
edit on 17-12-2012 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
reply to post by eXia7

These other's might grab for anything dangling in front of them that looks like food... Sheepfish!

but I am not biting.

Where is your link?

This is suspicious and needs explaining... sure, but might be another in a long line of manufactured BS - the only "business" some extremist factions in the GOP seem to be manufacturing lately.

Source added, sorry forgot to put it at the end of my post.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by shaneslaughta
Obama came in at 14 billion debt marker....he intends to go out at 28 billion or more.

there are no spending cuts, he knows its a sinking ship and he dont care.

He is only leaving bush and his mess for the in line to deal with.
edit on 17-12-2012 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

I think you meant trillion. A billion is pocket change.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

reply to post by eXia7

These others might grab for anything dangling in front of them that looks like food...

but I am not biting.

Where is your link?

This is suspicious but might be another in a long line of manufactured BS.

The only "business" some extremist factions in the GOP seem to be involved in lately.

I'd hate for anyone to think it was made up....especially in any political sense for a bad source or lying OP. Err... So I went and got a few sources.

Emergency Sandy Relief Bill Shows Washington's Fiscal Folly - AJC

Sandy Aid Package Includes Millions for Smithsonian, Space Center, Forests - ABC News

Senate Turns to Sandy Aid Bill on Monday - Associated Press

Republicans question need for $60.4 billion in Hurricane Sandy aid - The Hill

Hope that helps support the OP a bit. After all, I don't think OPs bring news stories in bad faith and this one is so heavily reported right now, it's a wonder you hadn't seen it on any News site you're bringing up? Oh well.. there are some sources for far more detail of the waste and issues though.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

I did mean trillion i changed it to billion cause it didnt look right, but i fixed it now

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

reply to post by eXia7

These others might grab for anything dangling in front of them that looks like food...

but I am not biting.

Where is your link?

The only "business" some extremist factions in the GOP seem to be involved in lately.

I'd hate for anyone to think it was made up....especially in any political sense for a bad source or lying OP. Err... So I went and got a few sources.

Sandy Aid Package Includes Millions for Smithsonian, Space Center, Forests - ABC News

Hope that helps support the OP a bit. After all, I don't think OPs bring news stories in bad faith and this one is so heavily reported right now, it's a wonder you hadn't seen it on any News site you're bringing up? Oh well.. there are some sources for far more detail of the waste and issues though.

Thanks for adding some alternative sources, I used the NYPost source that I found from drudge earlier

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Thanks for the links wabbit

The govt is good at hiding their true means behind some good natured motives.
They hide their true colors from the public with things like this.
They know that most Americans are too occupied to give a damn about anything but their i phones etc.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

reply to post by eXia7

but I am not biting.

Where is your link?

Authors
S.A. MILLER and GERRY SHIELDS

sponsor an anti Obama blog. You might like it...has an AntiObama Store and everything...lol

Gimme a sec...I'll link it. antiobamablog.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

If it's all Sandy related I'm of the belief that it should be in this bill. It's easier to lump this stuff in together. It would be like you going shopping buying fifteen different things...you wouldn't want them to be rung up individually...this is the standard course of action...

Funny how the Democrats scrutinized the Hurricane Katrina Aid Bill by George Bush which was for 51.8 billion.

Bush signs $51.8 billion bill for hurricane relief President pledges faster disbursement of aid to hurricane survivors

Lopsided votes mask concerns The overwhelming support for the measure by both Republicans and Democrats — it passed 410-11 in the House and 97-0 in the Senate — masked murmurs of concern about a rapidly rising price tag as well as a growing atmosphere of political jockeying in Congress less than two weeks after the hurricane battered the Gulf Coast. Congressional Democratic leaders said they would refuse to appoint members to a committee that Republican leaders intend to create to investigate the administration’s readiness and response to the storm. House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi called the GOP plan “a sham that is just the latest example of congressional Republicans being the foxes guarding the president’s henhouse.” Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid said it was like a baseball pitcher calling “his own balls and strikes.” Both urged appointment of an independent panel like the Sept. 11 commission.

Republicans said they intended to go ahead despite the threatened boycott. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist of Tennessee told reporters there had been a “systemwide failure” in the response to the storm. Citing problems at the local, state and federal levels, he said, “We will get to the bottom of that” in a congressional investigation. Beyond that, said New York Rep. Tom Reynolds, chairman of the House GOP campaign committee, “it is reprehensible that some elected officials are looking to score political points in the wake of Hurricane Katrina’s devastation.” Text

Link
edit on 17-12-2012 by chrismarco because: some more information

I do believe that if the republicans asked for a commission similar the media would have a field day ripping them a new one...but history is so easily forgotten when you disagree with it...
edit on 17-12-2012 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by chrismarco
reply to post by eXia7

If it's all Sandy related I'm of the belief that it should be in this bill. It's easier to lump this stuff in together. It would be like you going shopping buying fifteen different things...you wouldn't want them to be rung up individually...this is the standard course of action...

That would be fine and dandy, but they are using it to buy new vehicles for DHS, they are also spending it on places that didn't really get much damage.

including Guantanamo Bay, Cuba;
$4 million for repairs at Kennedy Space Center in Florida;

link   

did you even take the time to read any of the links or the proposed spending's?

Most of the crap isnt related to sandy.....like Alaska? its blatantly obvious that they are trying to pull one on us again and they will succeed because no one will stand up to them.

It all goes back to dumbing down society so TPTB can do what they do best.......break our backs and our banks!

link   

edit on 17-12-2012 by shaneslaughta because: double post

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join