learn more

U.S. drone operator quits , says : They ordered me to shoot a child

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
+26 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
'Did we just kill a kid?': The moment drone operator who assassinated Afghans with the push of a button on a computer in the U.S. followed orders to shoot a child... and decided he had to quit

A former U.S. drone operator has opened up about the toll of killing scores of innocent people by pressing a button from a control room in New Mexico.

Dailymai l.co.uk

Brandon Bryant, 27, from Missoula, Montana, spent six years in the Air Force operating Predator drones from inside a dark container.
But, after following orders to shoot and kill a child in Afghanistan, he knew he couldn't keep doing what he was doing and quit the military.

'I saw men, women and children die during that time,' he told Spiegel Online. 'I never thought I would kill that many people. In fact, I thought I couldn't kill anyone at all.'

edit on 17-12-2012 by UltraMarine because: (no reason given)

+14 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Attack against innocent women and children is very distubing . America is making a big mistake by terrorrizing people with these drones. These attacks are doing nothing but inciting more hatred . The story that is being told in the US says it is all about targeting top-level terrorist leaders and is not killing the civilians but the reality is total opposite to this . Time has come for US to stop these senseless drone attacks . What do you say ?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by UltraMarine

Its alot easier to walk away when your flying a drone overhead than being on the ground and being shot at by that same teenager whos screaming "god is great".

I think as technology becomes more advanced, war can become far more moral, because machines can be quickly replaced at marginal cost to human life. We can make the choice to fly away.

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
It's no different, I suppose, than back in the VietNam war, when civilians were killed, counted, and announced as Viet Cong. Remember that the careers of officers depend on these numbers. Defense contracts too...

Not to worry, the Amerikan addiction to war will be broken when we get it on OUR soil...

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Nobody ordered him to shoot a child. He was ordered to shoot a mud brick house and at the last second, the child appeared around the corner.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
What did he think was going to happen when he signed up with the military?

I'm guessing they'll have to retool their training a bit like they did in WWII to get people to shoot at other people.

Just had a brilliant idea! The military just needs to actively recruit kids with histories of violence and mental problems.

Next time a parent confides that her child has violent fits and she has to lock all the knives and forks away and show her other children how to do an "at home lockdown" in case the kid throws a fit somebody should just send in a recruiter to snatch the kid up. Two birds!
edit on 17-12-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

What right do the Americans or any other nation for that matter have to be in a foreign land, terrorizing their citizens in the name of "freedom". This is the same word being justified by american citizens for upholding laws that were directly attributal to the death of many school children in the recent massacre. The USA needs putting down. I wish my country would stop supporting these Americans, the worlds real terrorists.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
The ends may justify the means but so much for winning the hearts and minds of those being conquered. Now they are losing the hearts and minds of those ordered to carry out said "means".
edit on 17-12-2012 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lazarus Short

Not to worry, the Amerikan addiction to war will be broken when we get it on OUR soil...

I don't think it will. I think recent days have shown how much some people seem to be looking forward to it coming.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
We should ban drones.

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
After reading recently how there was an actual debate running about the efficacy of following up a drone strike with a second hit to kill the aid teams and first responders? Umm.... I don't see much difference ....IN SOME WAYS......between the terrorists we're killing and the people running the drone program.

When terrorists plant a secondary device to explode as a follow-up after the primary blast and specifically to kill the medical and aid teams? We call it one of the most despicable and evil things a force can do ......and it is too. Then we morph our own values to somehow justify doing it ourselves?????? We've lost any ground we ever had to argue morality from and it was lost by our own doing.

I'm glad this guy had the guts to not only tell them to shove it but to speak out at least this much in what he saw and did. This program is evil ...or damn sure has the potential to become that. Me Lai and other atrocities SCREWED GUYS UP. More didn't happen, I believe, because it takes a special kind of evil, warped or just totally shell shocked and burned out to do what happened in some Vietnam examples. However..it takes NOTHING to sit in a trailer in Nevada or Langley or Tampa and push a button to kill a dozen people 10,000 miles away. The soldiers of today grew up doing this 10's of thousands of times in video games......whats THAT different?! That's the problem.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

They've been terrorizing the planet since the 50's ever since they decided to back Israel.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

It's not Americans,they are just pawns in the game, as are you and I, the hand stretches out much farther.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
edit on 17-12-2012 by Putyournamehere because: Double

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
About time we could put a human dimension on the backside of the drone program.

Good for him speaking up, I hope they don't toss him in the brig for disclosing "national security secrets".
I agree that drone use as we have done is wrong, wrong, WRONG. Not to mention EVIL.

Why are we not screaming at our government to stop the deployment of 30,000 drones over the US? Are people really this blind and naive to think they won't use them the same way against us? They're already busy demonizing returning vets and supporters of the Constitution as terrorists. It's only a matter of time.

Mary Lanza was a potential terrorist too by "stockpiling" food, water and guns. What exactly constitutes stockpiling anyway? Don't worry, they will never show any pictures of her immense hoard of goodies because it doesn't exist. They are doing their best to twist this tragedy into readily usable ammunition for political agendas against the 2nd amendment and anyone who believes in being prepared for long term emergencies.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
good to see at least one developed a conscience and finally is doing the right thing by walking away from it and speaking out against the evil .... hope he doesnt have a sudden tragic accident as result .... the corrupt bastards in dizzy city are an unforgiving lot and quite adept at covering their collective arses...

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
As other posters have written, killing civilians via drone strikes seems to be very easy, and very much like the video games these same kids played as they were growing up.

The layers of technology make it very easy to not have a conscience, very easy to push the button to kill "targets" on the screen, and very easy to shoot and then walk away when your shift is over with no feelings of remorse whatsoever.

The time will come when this technology will be a world-wide phenomenon, and when drones go over our neighborhoods and shoot up whomever is on the street, we will know that the evil birds we set loose years ago have now come home to roost.

I fail to see any honor in killing civilians with robotic flying machines. That is not war. It is extermination.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Double post, sorry!
edit on 17-12-2012 by FissionSurplus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Waiting for the Sandy Hook Elementary killings to be used as a justification for the use of drones on American soil...

"If we had had drones in place, we increase our chances of taking down these psycho's before they harm our vulnerable children...yada yada'

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog

Nobody ordered him to shoot a child. He was ordered to shoot a mud brick house and at the last second, the child appeared around the corner.

May I have the address to your mud brick house?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join