It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ONLINE CULTURE AFTER A TRAGEDY - Why do people do this after a tragic event?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

‘It’s as if we’re desensitized to each other,’ says Matt Bors after his Ryan Lanza link turns ugly

Why does a tragedy bring out the worst in some of us? Here is one mans story?

SOURCE

The reason any of this is relevant to a larger conversation — especially in the wake of such a massively resonant tragedy — is how the heat of the aftermath causes stories to spill out wildly, sometimes recklessly, online (not to mention outright hoaxes, such as post-shooting commentary widely misattributed over the weekend to actor Morgan Freeman).

“It’s as if we’re desensitized to each other online,” the Universal Uclick editorial cartoonist tells us. “The weird hate-vibes I got from strangers would probably have been 10 times worse if I [were] a woman.”

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
You know.... I'm sitting here blissfully ignorant to 90% of what threads like this are talking about. Oh I love ignorance for a change. It truly CAN be bliss, after all. I mention this because my trip to that state of bliss is one anyone can take and this tragedy along with what your OP highlights is an outstanding reason to go.

All one has to do is unplug the infernal cable box and choose not to reconnect it.

I've had no shortage of information about the shooting. In fact, in some ways, I'm sure I get more than TV is supplying. They have to cut meat somewhere to give time for all the agenda following and whining...when they aren't pumping up the public to go postal on each other, that is.

I just couldn't help but think tho...Since the shooting, it's given me a lot to consider but I have NOT had the emotional turmoil and stress usually coming with these things. The only difference? I've seen no more than 5 minutes of TV coverage and MSM propaganda since it happened. Ahh.. Yes... It's blissful here without a TV.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

And that's why I don't have a Facebook account. I didn't even know who over half my Facebook friends were. My husband and I shared an account, but we deleted it over a year ago.

I no longer have twitter, instagram or a YouTube account. I only have ATS now,which may or may not be a good thing. Oh and oz house.

People online are insensitive because they feel bigger when they type stuff out and aren't actually saying it.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Exactly. Virtually anybody has the ability to unplug and shut out the stupidity around them. What I really don't get are people who refuse to delete friends on FaceBook. They'll sit there and complain about rude or ignorant people everyday yet they are friends with them. Delete.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Exactly. Virtually anybody has the ability to unplug and shut out the stupidity around them. What I really don't get are people who refuse to delete friends on FaceBook. They'll sit there and complain about rude or ignorant people everyday yet they are friends with them. Delete.

I have a FaceBook account only because I belong to a private by invitation only group of people I have known for 15 years or more, some of whom I have met in person and the rest I count as close friends. As for the rest of the FaceBook BS I just ignore it. I have ignored it for so long now that people have actually stopped sending me Farmville crap and stuff like that.

top topics

join