It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A scent-generating device

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
A scent-generating device being tested by the UK internet service provider Telewest Broadband could soon allow internet users to transmit aromas of their choice across the internet.

The Scent Dome is about the size of a teapot and can generate up to 60 different smells by releasing particles from one or more of 20 liquid-filled odour capsules. Computers fitted with a Scent Dome unit use software to recognise smell identifying codes embedded in an email or web page.

(Here's link if you want read more) www.newscientist.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I read about that somewhere in the library @ school in a magazine, and it said that vanilla calms people down and makes them feel relaxed because vanilla is naturally found in mother's milk. Any other scents people know of?

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
mike lmao thats not how the thing works...... u can send scents through e-mails duh lol

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Sorry about the post: I meant the scent of vanilla, not vanilla itself (actually it works that way too, but we're talking about scents here).

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Click n sniff to replace scratch n sniff

Hmmm... Kinda cool unless it includes bad scents

I get the feeling some people will be getting an image of a skunk along with the scent in their e-mails...

eeew

What will they think of next?

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
lol good one ya but too bad it can't do that because the scent device only comes with 60-90 scents !!!! (read the article in the link)

Do research before posting

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by portfreezer (read the article in the link)

Do research before posting

I did...

From the article:

Ellwood Ivey, founder and CEO of Trisenx, says users can mix different aromas to create custom smells and could theoretically produce unpleasant aromas, or electronic stink bombs.

Just a little imagination and knowing the internet and hackers abilities... I am sure a skunk scent is not the worst someone could do with this.

[edit on 24-10-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   
oh lol sry man happens everyday for me (dayshavoo)

(lol can't spell)

top topics

join