It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dunblane School Massacre....ended handgun rights in UK

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93
reply to post by SpearMint

oh, so we're supposed to know you're only talking about schools, even though the OP mentions others ?? interesting perspective you have there.

well, be that as it may, it certainly wasn't the "law" that's responsible.
however, if you believe it is, good luck.

The OP and the thread title are about a school shooting and the result of it, and when you questioned it the first time I told you. Yet you continue to argue, it should have ended there.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

and there are millions of guns on the streets every day, you just don't hear about it.
so, with alllll those guns running around, why isn't gun crime even worse ?

heck, my state just celebrated 1 million CCW holders and counting.

link   

reply to post by KingIcarus

wow, what a reach this one is ...

Taking this discussion in super simplistic terms we've identified a link between gun violence, mental health and poverty.
really now ? how does any one of the most recent shooters fit the "poverty" label ??
especially when they were armed with thousands $$$ of dollars worth of armament ??

No reach here, my friend. That post concerned gun violence in general, as evidenced by the sentences surrounding your quote mentioning people who shoot people to rob, burgle etc. It's all part of the same picture, which has been put into focus by a specific tragic incident.

And if you think gun injuries and deaths in America are not closely linked to poverty, poverty stricken areas and people then you're very wrong. Amazingly enough, violence in most countries are linked to these things... the UK included.

link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Democracy and Liberty STARTED in the UK.... you may remember Obama saying a similar thing in a speech in the UK in the last year or so.

No matter what you may have learnt or have been told...

Well, over here we have 'learnt' about ancient Athens and the Greek democracies. Why don't you go talk to them about stealing the UK's ideas 'before your country was ever even thought about.'

My God.........

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Thats a great point. But I will tell you....folks in this country dont know anything about or are school about Bill Orange. Thye think a hillbilly is a mountan jack.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

and there are millions of guns on the streets every day, you just don't hear about it.

Celebrated is a word of Irony given the current climate.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Save people from what? Other people with guns.
sometimes.
and vicious animals, vicious drunks, rapists, burglars and i could go on but is it really necessary ?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Yes. Nothing should be congratulated more than a million people carrying concealed weapons and most of them not whipping it out to shoot someone!

I'm quite large physically, so could easily strangle someone. Quite a few people are worldwide so, with allll those those stranglers running around, why isn't strangling crimes even worse?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   

stats don't prove anything and can be manipulated to suit any argument.

are you suggesting the Brits don't have any murders ?
cause that's the only way they could possibly be "less" barbaric.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Guess what it is an unique document that still stands in our nation and until this day not politician or congress has been able to get rid of it even if they will love too.

So the argument is obsolete, the Constitution will stand even longer than any other document ever drafter and passed has done this far.

US constiution is unique and will ever be.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by Logarock

Because a person doesn't (usually) set out to kill someone in their car, accidental killing over gun murder, you can't compare them.

Other arguments I have heard in this is that more people die per year undergoing surgery, but again it is a weak argument, the surgeon doesn't intend to kill the patient.

Killing someone whiel drunk and driving is a form of murder and yet the drink flows right off the highway everywhere.

So we worry less about numbers of dead and worry about intentions.

link   

Yes but guns that aren't being used are the equivalent of cars that are parked, how many parked cars kill people? If the same amount of guns were being used all the time then the numbers would be so much higher. When cars are used they fulfil a useful purpose and very occasionally, taking the numbers in to account, kill people. When guns are used they kill or injure people. Cars are doing this in their millions all the time, so the numbers will be higher. If you were able to get a graph of cars used vs car deaths and guns used vs gun deaths my point would be obvious. You can't compare the two, this is just one of the reasons.
edit on 17-12-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

link   

Magna Carta ???

no comparison but you keep believin it

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Guess what it is an unique document that still stands in our nation and until this day not politician or congress has been able to get rid of it even if they will love too.

So the argument is obsolete, the Constitution will stand even longer than any other document ever drafter and passed has done this far.

I wouldn't say unique I would more say outdated.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir

Originally posted by Logarock
Well as you have show having guns or not has nothing to do with it. So untill the US comes to some point of assention passing all maner or restrictive guns laws will stop nothing here. We cant be like UK or Switzerland and thats why the matter of society comparisons will have little use here.

My point is that its fruitless comparing the US and the UK as there's no comparable levels of gun ownership. However, there is a point to comparing the US to Switzerland as there are comparable levels of gun ownership. So, again, why isn't the US more like Switzerland?

As a whole maybe they value life more. Or we have many more amoung us that dont.....so we stay armed.
edit on 17-12-2012 by Logarock because: n

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   

stats don't prove anything and can be manipulated to suit any argument.

are you suggesting the Brits don't have any murders ?
cause that's the only way they could possibly be "less" barbaric.

Stats don't prove anything? That sums you up. I didn't suggests Brits don't have murders, I clearly said they have a low murder rate. You said the only thing it proves is that Brits prefer a more barbaric method of killing people, so where are the numbers to prove that? Non-existent. They kill less people per capita, much less, so you are wrong.
edit on 17-12-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Well the Magna Carta was the foundation of our laws and Bill of Rights and is 800 years old.... I have T-shirts older than your constitution?

We have all the same rights as you guys and whichever one's we don't have (like every moron owning guns) we voluntarily surrendered for the good of everyone and the safety of our children and vulnerable.

It's called being civilised.

We also don't put people to death.

You guys will get there one day, you're on the right road.

We adapted, laws changed, things move on.... The Magna Carta was the Foundation the cornerstone, the starting point.... unlike you guys, we didn't cling on to it and unlike you guys, we have history and have been through, many, many changes as a nation.

When you get some years under your belt, come back and talk to the UK.

edit on 17/12/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l

Well you can put that argument on the 2nd if you like but dont understand how you could make that case for the whole of our constitution. As for me I dont think the 2nd represents something outdated and hold that those who feel that way are in la la land.

What did Winston say...."We will fight".

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by KingIcarus

That is entirely false.I am from Longsight Manchester and the amount of shootings that have gone unreported by the media is a joke,the Police have been called out but it doesn't make the news.I have walked down streets and seen peoples windows and door frames with bullet holes in them. And i also know people that have been shot or threatened with guns pulled out on them.
I recall one weekend where there was 3 or 4 shootings which is crazy for England let alone a small district of a city and there was only a brief mention of one on the local radio.And that was only my district.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock

Originally posted by michael1983l

Well you can put that argument on the 2nd if you like but dont understand how you could make that case for the whole of our constitution. As for me I dont think the 2nd represents something outdated and hold that those who feel that way are in la la land.

What did Winston say...."We will fight".

Legalised Guns was initially put into your constitution as you had just finished performing MASS GENOCIDE on the Native Americans and you were fearful of reprisals. Thats not really a problem today is it?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join