It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dunblane School Massacre....ended handgun rights in UK

page: 21
<< 18  19  20   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Originally posted by Logos23

So everyone who is educated and understands the gun issue's in the UK think the gun ban's are stupid?.....but alas they are outnumbered by the rest of us who are all either incapable of logical thinking and are plagued with irrational fears, or are all politician's?

Notice I said "among my friends". I admit that my UK friends are mostly veterans who I met due to military duties, and yes, they used firearms professionally and they do not fear them and yes, I find most of the objections to private firearms ownership illogical.

I see a lot of people displaying traits of being incapable of logical thinking and being plagued with irrational fear's.....and I sure as hell don't see them all coming from the anti- gun camp!

You don't? The belief that "guns just go off" "can shoot down airplanes" and so forth are rational positions?

I'm sorry...but stating that those in the UK who don't agree with a very small minority on gun issues only do so because they aren't educated enough on the subject thus/ or don't understand it or suffer from irrational fears, actually comes across as rather condescending.....

Condiscending? Nope. Frustrated? Yes. Imagine for a moment that you collect, work on, and race automobiles. You know your racetrack and your automobile inside and out. Then imagine you have having a conversation with someone who wants to ban all automobiles or at least ban all automobiles he thinks are "more deadly" and severely regulate the rest. Imagine what you would feel when you realized that the man who wants to ban automobiles has never driven one, has never been in one, does not have a driver's license, does not know how they work, cannot tell one automobile from another, and everything he "knows" about automobiles comes from watching films such as "Fast and Furious" but he still is convinced deep in his heart that automobiles must be banned. Imagine how frustrated you would feel talking to such a person and you would understand how those of us who own and use firearms feel when talking to most anti-gun people.

I've done my homework....I don't want a gun culture in my society....and as far as inanimate objects are concerned the inanimate object in question is man made and not just something that naturally occurs.....so i think it's quite reasonable for people to judge whether it's a good or bad thing for a society as it was born from the mind's and idea's of man.

Would you say the same things about books?

edit on 23-1-2013 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

Let me push my point home by presenting this video of an American politician who wants to ban, by name, "barrel shrouds" when she has absolutely no clue at all what a "barrel shroud is." Would you not agree that writing a law banning something that you know nothing about is illogical, ignorant, based on emotion and not fact, and worthy of disregard?

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I know you're not addressing this at me, but if you'll allow me to briefly interject on two points

Originally posted by NavyDoc
Would you say the same things about books?

Personally yes, I absolutely would. I'd make this assessment about anything, weighing the advantages and disadvantages of its wide availability. And then make a decision on whether its desirable.

In the case of books the downsides to their legality are negligible. In the USA at least, the downsides to wide firearm ownership appear to be disastrous, hardy made up for by their utility.

Inanimate objects are not all completely neutral. Crack rocks are inanimate. So are nuclear missiles. But society makes a decision on who can own them. Likewise this can and should be done with guns, books or anything.

Let me push my point home by presenting this video of an American politician who wants to ban, by name, "barrel shrouds" when she has absolutely no clue at all what a "barrel shroud is." Would you not agree that writing a law banning something that you know nothing about is illogical, ignorant, based on emotion and not fact, and worthy of disregard?

I agree it is infuriating to argue with the uninformed. I have a firearms license and own several guns so I hope I'm not in that category. But one doesn't need to be a Nascar driver to speak authoritatively on the necessity of speed limits, say.

new topics

<< 18  19  20   >>

join