It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new electronic driver�s assistant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
An Australian invention is going to make roads safer all over the world. The new DAS(Driver's Assistance System)

DAS uses three cameras: one to scan the road ahead and a pair to monitor where the driver is looking. The road camera is mounted on the rear view mirror and a �gaze monitoring� pair are set on either side of the instrument panel on the dashboard.

Images from the cameras are fed to a computer system fitted behind the dash. Software on the PC detects road signs and works out where the driver is looking. The speedometer is also connected to the computer, so the system always knows how fast the car is travelling.

www.newscientist.com...

Above is the link to the article if you want to read more

(plz excuse my spelling)

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I read the article, and anyone who is going to post here had better do the same or I'll be on your case. You should read the article anyway or else you probably won't understand what we're talking about.

Anyway, the system should automatically slow the car instead of just warning the driver with a beep and a flashing light, because if you're drunk, a little beep isn't going to do squat for you.

Any thoughts?

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Oh, forgot to mention:

They should put a facility monitering system in with that package, too, because you can type in "McDonalds" and when it spots a sign with the mickyd's logo on it, it will alert you with a computer generated voice. Pretty high tech, eh? I think it can be done in the near future if we try.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
A lot more cost effective than the concept of imbeding sensors along the every highway to guide a car along, as been previously suggested.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I agree! But in New York on a busy highway that has a lot of crashes(the most in the country) they are putting magnetic guides so the car won't do anything its not suppose to

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Here's probably the best way to eliminate car wrecks:

Stricter drunk driving laws
Don't give psychopaths cars

Simple, yet more effective than the high tech gadgets.

[edit on 10/24/04 by diehard_democrat]

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   
How come nobody's posting here? It's like the coolest thing by far! Except for the computer thing.....

new topics

top topics

join