It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK thoughts on the Feinstein Bill

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

Originally posted by Answer

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by oper8zhin

Also, can anybody explain the need to me to own assault weapons? I can understand the arguments for both hunting rifles and hand guns (if properly legislated) but why assault weapons?

I can understand the need for vans and compact cars, but why sports cars? Can you explain the need to own a car that can attain speeds over 80 mph?

The logic applies to many items that people choose to own, but the "assault weapon" is much easier to demonize because it is completely misunderstood by the majority of people. Firearms that can be classified as assault weapons are used in less than 1% of crimes. Why, then, is there a drive to ban this type of firearm? Because they're used in 1 or 2 very highly publicized crimes each year? Strangely, the other 363 days out of the year, the 15 or so MILLION privately owned assault weapons in the US aren't doing anything wrong.

The idea of banning a weapon that is used in a tiny fraction of crime, just because those crimes are more highly publicized, would be legislation based on flash-in-the-pan emotional response instead of logic. Just because you can't see a use for something, doesn't mean there isn't one.

I am sorry but that is a completely asinine argument. Why do you need to own an assault rifle? What purpose does it serve that makes your life complete? I take your point about the low number of crime stats and assault rifles but you haven't explained why you need one. Instead, you have come back with an illogical argument to fudge the issue.

Look, at the end of the day, these are arguments and decisions you need to be having amongst yourselves (rather than with us outsiders). Without any compromise from gun owners, this sort of thing is going to continue - and probably get worse if recent history is anything to go by. Your society so you need to decide how to deal with it. If you are happy to carry on regardless, then so be it. It really wouldn't say much for you as decent humans though if you think this sort of atrocity is acceptable, just in order to keep hold of your guns.

The reason I don't answer with a use is because you already know what the uses are, it's been repeated OVER and OVER that shooters use them for hunting, target shooting, competition, recreation, etc. but you deny that those are valid reasons. That is the core problem with this issue. I will never be able to explain, to your satisfaction, why I want to own the types of firearms that I enjoy owning. You'll simply dismiss every reason as paranoia, some shortcoming, or a mental disorder.

I enjoy collecting them, shooting them, and tinkering with them. That should be all the justification I need when it is a perfectly legal item to own. I'm sure I could find multiple items in your home right now that I see no use for and would be perfectly happy banning... but I don't feel that I have the right to dictate how someone else spends their money and free time.

There were laws in place in CT that regulated the exact type of firearm and magazines used in the shooting but it prevented nothing so right there your illogical argument that more laws will prevent these types of events is falsified.

<< 1  2   >>

join