It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A&E's Storage Wars a fake? Yuuuuuuup!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Is the hit TV show Storage Wars a fake? The answer is a loud and obnoxious Yuuuuuup! to hear the show's chief protagonist describe it. It appears David Hester has traded up in bidding for storage lockers to the ultimate bid for a winning lawsuit.

"Storage Wars" is presented as a "reality series" about "modern day treasure hunters" bidding at auctions for abandoned storage lockers, but Hester says that "nearly every aspect of the series is faked."

He claims, among other things, that the showed planted a BMW Mini car under a pile of trash in one locker, and a stack of old newspapers announcing the death of Elvis Presley in another.

Now to fans of the show, this is pretty serious business. It's a basic show for those who haven't seen it. The Premise is simply to follow a group of Storage Locker auction buyers to various auctions in Southern California. Storage units are considered abandoned and sold at auction after a given period of time of non-payment, as set by each state. The show presents the contents as a surprise and a key part of the suspense and draw of the program.

Hester also claims that a female cast member had plastic surgery to "create more 'sex appeal' for the show."

"Original [Productions] regularly 'salts' the storage lockers that are the subject of the auctions portrayed on the series with valuable or unusual items to add dramatic effect, even going so far as to stage entire storage units," the complaint states.

"Original also manipulates the outcome of certain auctions by paying for storage units on behalf of the weaker cast members, who lack the both the skill and financial wherewithal to place winning bids."
Source

I had wondered about this myself. How many of the totally STUPID auctions in terms of bids running into the thousands for trash were actually the TV show's money and not theirs? I guess I know the answer now.

It's a shame because that was one of the few shows I still watched from time to time. I knew some of it was staged and the drama between actors is never genuine beyond the first season or so anyway. Fake emotions from fake people for a fake situation to buy fake storage units. Sounds about right to a fake world, these days, eh?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Doesn't surprise me really I wonder which other reality shows are faked...guesses anyone?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I watch this show a lot because I like to see the.stuff they buy and what its worth, but I knew some of it had to be faked however I did not know it was all faked!

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
American chopper is fake as hell I hate that show

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I never watched that show.. The temptation for them to fake it would be too much.. I saw a commercial where they showed what seemed to be a car, and the bad acting haha.. Who abandons things valued so high, with out paying, even though they could have sold the car for thousands??

the commercial made no sense, and I assumed the whole show would be like that.

When I watch commercials for other reality shows and notice when people "meet" for the first time, there is already a camera in the building behind the people that are supposedly being met... Then the bad scripts...

It's all so fake. Even Jesse Ventura's Conspiracy theory does that.. Some of the acting in it is pretty bad too.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Doesn't surprise me really I wonder which other reality shows are faked...guesses anyone?

99.1% all of them even cops or what ever that show is on trutv now days are scripted.
edit on 12/17/2012 by o0pinMind0o because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Really?!?!?!? Can any of you sheep for once make an opinion for yourselves?
"Uhhhh, nooo, I just do what the articles says....dee dee dee."

Clearly none of you watch the show...David Hester has no moral bone in his body. He is a piece of crap and a liar. Thats why he is called The Mogul. If you watched the show, than all of you would know that. So, him going out and suing for bogus claims, that is something he would do.

Im sure some aspects of this show is fake, but if the entire show was fake, he would have never done that many seasons. He got fired and now he wants revenge because once again, he is garbage.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

I'd hoped most of it was legitimate. At least until the latter seasons when the drama between actors became so overblown and outright silly as to make obvious they were acting and not for real. I mean you'd think a couple of them were ready to beat David Hester into bloody mush...and if I had been a bidder...with that as it was presented?? I'd have been sorely tempted in resisting the urge to bust him one in the nose myself.

Again, for those who never watched the show, the irony here is a bit deeper than it looks. David Hester is the man on the show that bids up the lockers purely for the purpose of costing everyone else more money to buy them and reducing profit margins to the point of being a waste. On the show he proudly boasts of this at least once an episode in the little side bar interview sessions. So, to have him be the one that "blows it open" is incredible in itself. ...and I'm assuming Brandi is the one with the Plastic. Err... Those looked real too... lol

I had gone to an auction here locally and picked up a unit like they do in the show. I got screwed and lost my ass, personally. $600 for someone else's junk is what it came down to in the end....but I had to try it to learn that. I will say at the same auction there was a double unit that went for $2,500 and was an estate unit. I could SEE some of that furniture from the door which had values in the 4 figures just sitting there. It looked like the estate out of one of these Victorian mansions we have all over out here..with original pieces and everything. I'm guessing whoever maintained that one died or walked away for emotional reasons. Whatever the cause, whoever picked that one up made bank on it. So, there ARE good lockers ...just very few from what I saw.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Deceived again!
Upon hearing this news, I dis-engaged my "record" setting for this program.
My question: what else on television is fake?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Well.. I view most of TV in this way..So I'm not just singling out just that one show. I watch sports because at least they have strong motives to play fair and win..
Some history channel is ok, some national geographic.. A lot of their shows are misleading too.

I don't know I guess I got bored of it all. Now I just cruise the internet looking for obscure documentaries and interviews/lectures by people I consider to be intelligent..

I've been on a Joe rogan Podcast kick lately.. On his last show he interviewed Dennis Mckenna for 2.5 hours

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Money owns this town....

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
What a shock!

That was pretty obvious. I mean c'mon.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by spangledbanner
What a shock!

That was pretty obvious. I mean c'mon.

ehhh... I hoped against hope that at least a little but of "Reality TV" had anything real remaining. I should have figured the people running TV-Land these days wouldn't know real if it came up and kicked them in the tail.

At least COPS is still real...isn't it? I mean, the world is lost entirely when we find out they are staging whole pursuits and crimes for the benefit of the camera and ratings. ....of course, who is to say they aren't? We wouldn't even know would we?

......living in a world where trust is basically a quaint thing of past times really sucks some days, ya know?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Q33323

What else on TV is fake: ALL OF IT!
I cant stand "Reality" shows because are all of them are scripted and "Fake" - most of them don't even bother to have a plausible premise (the latest one being about a group of Alabama good ole boys in the Amazon gold prospecting "Bamazon").
Seems like this trend for "reality" programming started with that series back in the 80's on MTV portraying "real life".

But I must admit to watching a few episodes of "Pawn Stars" "Pickers" "Ax Men" "Parking Wars" "Repo(something)" "Ice Truckers" - never enough to get into the "plot" although most shows have a thinly veiled story board or script that screams fake!

ganjoa

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I gotta think most of the "reality" shows are kinda like pro-wrestling. Scripted and staged for entertainment purposes.

Heck, I even remember back as a kid being disappointed to find out one of the fishing shows was kind of staged. It shows on TV the guy catches a ton of fish in a day. In reality he fished for like 2 weeks - and wore the same outfit every day.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

It's the little things like that that ruin a person's confidence in truth and human nature isn't it? It's not even the BIG ones..it's the little ones..like how a guy cheated to look like a better Fisherman than he is. How sad a statement on things.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

This shouldn't be a surprise. ALL reality shows are fake. Nothing about them is real. Everything is done for dramatics and ratings and made to look real.

I can't stand ANY of these shows. They are mostly people who will do anything to make it on tv and become "famous."

I miss the days of tv when there were shows with moral endings and educational programming was on. I do not miss having cable one bit! It was a waste of money and time.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

YUUUUUUP - Everything you see and hear on TV is a lie...... EVERYTHING!

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Actually yeah - it is. As a boy I used to love to fish and used to love those shows. They had several on while I was growing up, Bill Dance, Tom Mann, Roland Martin, etc. They all used to advertise various fishing lures. Naturally, I'd save up my allowance and run out buy one hoping to catch fish like they did. Which, I"m sure was just what they hoped would happen. The show was more about catching fishermen than fish in reality..

It didn't take me long to figure out it didn't work for me like it did on TV. It wasn't till I grew up and moved to an area where they actually film some of the shows that I found out how they do the shows. It was disappointing.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
1st post- Its very surprising that people dont realize that 99.9% of tv shows are fake. This includes any reality show, news and even live boadcasts. Just to name a few like Storage Wars is too easy. The shows like American pickers, Dog the Bounty Hunter, Auction Hunters, Pawn Stars, American Restoration, Operation Repo and even Cops. TV is fake and only entertainment, and should be taken like a grain of salt. Just enjoy, dont critasize it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join