It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Turned Prayer Vigil Into Political Speech! How Disrespectful!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Earlier tonight I watched the prayer vigil service for the children and teachers killed at the elementary school in Newtown, CT on Friday.

I also watched the president's speech on Friday night where he appeared to shed tears. Having a six year old also, I tried to put myself in the shoes of the parents who had lost their children that day. I wanted to see if this president could show some sort of emotion, and was kind of happy that he seemed to show at least something. However, while watching the speech, I didn't feel his tears were genuine.

Fast forward to Sunday night when he attended the prayer vigil in Newtown, Connecticut. Earlier in the day he met with the families of the people that died. Later the same night he attended the prayer vigil service for the families. I had hoped to see him show some emotion again, especially in front of the families, who I'm sure are hurting beyond belief. My heart goes out to each of them, and I said the first of 27 Rosaries tonight in memory of each of them. Unfortunately his speech turned political and went on a rant about doing something about guns. This time he did not shed one tear. I was so mad!!! Had I been one of the parents of those children I certainly would've stood up and said something. If not in the auditorium, to one of the members of the media outside with a live feed.

I now see this for what the whole situation was, nothing but a political opportunity for Obama. How disrespectful of him, and embarrassing to the United States as a whole. I ran across this video of Alex Jones in another thread, and now I see how true it is. (See video by clicking on the link below).

youtu.be...

I guess I shouldn't be surprised having heard how he treated the families of those who died in Benghazi! These Killings could've been the result of violent video games, yet you didn't hear him say a word that he's going after the video gaming industry. The young man that did the shooting could have been mentally ill, yet you didn't hear him say a word about going after mentally ill people to identify them and help them in some way to keep this from happening.

I am now convinced that there is a hidden agenda to take away our arms to protect ourselves as American citizens. Of course I had heard people renting about this in the past, yet I didn't want to believe it. Wake up everyone, we can no longer be Sheeple. Stop believing everything you're told, which is all now sugarcoated by the pro-Obama media.
Alex Jones hit the nail on the head about this one. They're coming after your guns! This country is being attacked from within.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by PMNOrlando

Interesting that you would perceive that his vigil speech was aimed at taking your guns.

Look at the text and you will see he did not mention the word "gun" a single time.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Terminal1

OBAMA: Thank you.

Thank you, Governor. To all the families, first responders, to the community of Newtown, clergy, guests, scripture tells us, “Do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, inwardly, we are being renewed day by day.

“For light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all, so we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

“For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven not built by human hands.”

We gather here in memory of 20 beautiful children and six remarkable adults. They lost their lives in a school that could have been any school in a quiet town full of good and decent people that could be any town in America.

Here in Newtown, I come to offer the love and prayers of a nation. I am very mindful that mere words cannot match the depths of your sorrow, nor can they heal your wounded hearts.

I can only hope it helps for you to know that you’re not alone in your grief, that our world, too, has been torn apart, that all across this land of ours, we have wept with you. We’ve pulled our children tight.

And you must know that whatever measure of comfort we can provide, we will provide. Whatever portion of sadness that we can share with you to ease this heavy load, we will gladly bear it. Newtown, you are not alone.

As these difficult days have unfolded, you’ve also inspired us with stories of strength and resolve and sacrifice. We know that when danger arrived in the halls of Sandy Hook Elementary, the school’s staff did not flinch. They did not hesitate.

Dawn Hocksprung and Mary Sherlach, Vicki Soto, Lauren Russeau, Rachel Davino and Anne Marie Murphy, they responded as we all hope we might respond in such terrifying circumstances, with courage and with love, giving their lives to protect the children in their care.

We know that there were other teachers who barricaded themselves inside classrooms and kept steady through it all and reassured their students by saying, “Wait for the good guys, they are coming. Show me your smile.”

And we know that good guys came, the first responders who raced to the scene helping to guide those in harm’s way to safety and comfort those in need, holding at bay their own shock and their own trauma, because they had a job to do and others needed them more.

And then there were the scenes of the schoolchildren helping one another, holding each other, dutifully following instructions in the way that young children sometimes do, one child even trying to encourage a grownup by saying, “I know karate, so it’s OK; I’ll lead the way out.”

As a community, you’ve inspired us, Newtown. In the face of indescribable violence, in the face of unconscionable evil, you’ve looked out for each other. You’ve cared for one another. And you’ve loved one another. This is how Newtown will be remembered, and with time and God’s grace, that love will see you through.

Speech Transcript Source

You are correct-- in fact nothing he says seems to be political at all, which is a nice change of pace. Too bad I do believe this shooting is being exploited far more for political fodder than for "coming together" and "support"

That's the sickening part...
edit on 17-12-2012 by PhysicsAdept because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by PhysicsAdept

The link you provided shows an incomplete transcript. See link below.

www.npr.org...

The key statement he makes is this, "In the coing weeks, I will use whatever power this office holds to engage my fellow citizens." It may take weeks for my statement to prove what I read between the lines tonight. Keep in mind that within hours of the election results, he contacted the U.N. and signed a small arms ban agreement.

This man will deceive a lot of people.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   

(sigh) The UN Small Arms Treaty has nothing...repeat..NOTHING..to do with private firearms ownership inside the United States and NO treaty trumps the Constitution. Ever. Period. I hope that covers that concern....as it's been so misplaced as to be embarrassing.

Personally, after reading the transcript? I think that came off as one of his least political speeches and I was surprised after reading the OP. I would have expected the speech to come off as a political rant ..and he's had a couple of those to judge by. However, it appears to me his speech writers put compassion ahead of politics for this one and wrote one appropriate to the occasion. At least that's my take.

Of course..he's the President...not our Mother. We can figure he forgot most of what he said within a half hour of saying it. After all, those are never his words. His speech writers wrote them and he read them.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by PhysicsAdept

The link you provided shows an incomplete transcript. See link below.

www.npr.org...

The key statement he makes is this, "In the coing weeks, I will use whatever power this office holds to engage my fellow citizens." It may take weeks for my statement to prove what I read between the lines tonight. Keep in mind that within hours of the election results, he contacted the U.N. and signed a small arms ban agreement.

This man will deceive a lot of people.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   

So you're taking one sentence the President said in a speech here and saying that turned his whole memorial speech into a polticial statement about guns? C'mon... I have to ask if it isn't your own looking for it that hasn't turned the speech into a political thing. It looked to me like a President being Presidential, which is actually a nice change if anyone asked my opinion.

Of COURSE Obama wants to restrict guns... What part of his absolute DIE HARD Anti-Gun positions as an Illinois politician did people who voted for him NOT understand?! I mean..everyone who voted for him DID understand this is one of the single most anti-gun politicians currently holding office in U.S. Politics, right?

The saving grace is...He could see guns as the embodiment of Evil itself and it doesn't make one wit of difference. The President doesn't make law...he enforces it (or fails to, as the case may be). He can regulate guns...he cannot do more. Such are the limits of the American system, whether he likes it or not.

This was a speech memorializing the deaths of children though. Why for we need to make it political folly, OP?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Of course his tears weren't genuine..he's a politician, looking for an opening to gnaw away at the US constitution even more than has been already.

Simply an opportunist, using the deaths of innocents for political gain.

You're right, it's disgusting.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Hmm interesting. I am sorry I provided an incorrect transcript. That statement appears to be accurate, though still that statement can still be taken both ways of the coin. No doubt we know which one of Obama is on, but really it isn't revealing of any opinion.

I stand by what I said in my previous post though.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Political?

You"re politicizing it, OP.

Obama is the President and he was addressing the families with prayer. Nothing at all was said or aimed at taking away your guns.

You are selling paranoia and that is disrespectful.

new topics

top topics

join