Are We Living Inside A Computer Simulation?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   

ARE WE LIVING INSIDE A COMPUTER SIMULATION?

news.di scovery.com

As off-the-wall as this sounds, a team of physicists at the University of Washington (UW) recently announced that there is a potential test to seen if we actually live in The Lattice. Ironically, it would be the first such observation for scientifically hypothesized evidence of intelligent design behind the cosmos.

The UW team too propose that super-intelligent entities, bored with their current universe, do numerical simulations to explore all possibilities in the landscape of the underlying quantum vacuum (from which the big bang percolated) through universe simulations. "This is perhap
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
arxiv.org
news.discovery.com
edit on 17-12-2012 by Rising Against because: Removed all caps title.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   
I would be interested for the team to expound how "limitation in the energy of cosmic rays" correlates to a simulated environment and why they would expect to find such limitations in this distinctive phenomena.

Perhaps this would explain that constant itching feeling that many people have in the back of their consciousness that gives rise to such questions of life, consciousness, and the origins of the universe.

I think perhaps, much like a multidimensional hypercube (as portrayed in this youtube link- www.youtube.com...), we are forever constrained within the limitations of the cube that represents our consciousness (no matter how many cubes can be constructed within the cube the end result will always be the exact replica of a cube).

For example; If we were able to document every bit of information that would allow us to simulate our universe in a computer, and then actually conduct the simulation, we would never be able to gain any more information than what is capable of occurring in our natural universe- in other words we can be so smart as to know everything in the universe but we would never know anything outside of it.

And if that is the case then what is intelligence really? Because at this moment all we can say is that we lack it. And then if we know everything in the universe then we would have gained nothing because we only know what already is.

It seems as if it would be an endless cycle, much like the possibility that is proposed by Bostrom in the article. And what is an endless cycle? It is the equivalent of zero. This is the exact equivalence that Hawking concluded for the universe. The evidence it seems, is that something (the universe) is nothing unless that something can be more than the sum what it already is.

Confused yet? I know I am. Well I am off to slip away into nothingness as I sleep and dream about something...

news.di scovery.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
If we are in someones simulation there are some sick a/holes in the universe..

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Ok I did some investigating into the Lattice model. Apparently there is a phase transition between certain scales of the mathematical equation which would possibly allow some residual effects to be seen on large scales. This seems to be based on one of Einstein's theory of movement which is a diffusion constant to physically measurable quantities, such as the mean squared displacement of a particle in a given time interval.

Ive still got hours of studying this before I can begin to grasp it.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
The Simulation Argument - FAQ

It's fun to read. Really.

Another thought I read about lately: Why would someone simulate another universe? Because in his universe, the things are going not so great so he decides to try a new one. See here: Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal (Its a webcomic, yes I know, but a good one!)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy

...only because we don't know any better. Cause and effect... We can observe how animals behave when they get too crowded in a small amount of space or encounter someone in our territory that we don't expect to be there.

You could probably apply this all the way down to small communities.

In other words, our own insanities might just be that and not something caused by those who are using us for simulations. We could be a simple uncontrolled simulation to see what happens if Earth becomes overcrowded, both in terms of sociology but also ecology.
We simply start killing each other more efficiently.

Scientifically, Earth could very well be used as a prime example why population control is NOT wrong, but a major necessity for any race that wishes to grow and move beyond the petty lives we live. We build our lives around a single life time... our own single life time, when instead we should be building it around progressing our race as a whole.
What does today mean, and what does material wealth mean, if having it today, means that there will be nothing left for someone else tomorrow, maybe even your own offspring. Our actions are based off the number of individuals which is unbalanced with the amount of knowledge and technological abilities we have.

edit on 17/12/12 by flice because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy

It only takes one - some people call it god...

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

Yes, this has been posted more than once. How is this an all-caps breaking news item?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Aw crap you're right. I tried searching for duplicates and nothing came up about the UW post. Its all caps because I merely copy/pasted the Discovery News article. Oh well I tried... Bye bye post.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Nice Thread, a star and a flag right away.

ps: now take that gun off your hands.............get a babe or a book instead!

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Dynamike

DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE SEARCH BUTTON IS FOR?

There are ten threads on this. More.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dynamike
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Aw crap you're right. I tried searching for duplicates and nothing came up about the UW post. Its all caps because I merely copy/pasted the Discovery News article. Oh well I tried... Bye bye post.

You'll learn soon the ATS search function is, at best, useless.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

I use it all the time. IT HAS NEVER FAILED ME.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by victor7

Why not all three?

PS That is just a work photo which does not reflect my views or stand point on any... well anything at all. Just prepared for the zombie apocalypse.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by PrplHrt

I used it before making this post hoping my first news story would be original. And since I thought the Discovery News coverage was so well done and profound.

My results showed other old speculative articles, but none that documented any scientific hypothesis or mathematical theorem behind the conspiracy theory.
edit on 17-12-2012 by Dynamike because: I ran the search again; same results

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
We could be living inside a dream controlled by a computer. If you look at present advancement of computers and the desire to understand the brain using this technology you will understand. The idea that this could be a training dream is very possible, everything we have experienced could be a way of the future human race to teach us when we are young. Do all of us exist? Not really, in fact what we are experiencing doesn't have to be real at all. Just a teaching program hooked to our minds.

I think that there are hints of this in the things around us. I see this as possible by looking at recent advancements around the world in computers, seemingly too fast of progression for the not too intelligent people I see in society. If this reality was being steered by a computer to train us to not repeat mistakes that were made in reality than I think it is working fine. We just have to observe what is happening and try not to get hurt. Pain is real in this simulation, like I said it is very advanced. I am enjoying interacting with this program, it has lots to teach.

My only question if this is real is that who is a computer fabrication and who is a real mind. Maybe those with souls are real and those without souls are a fabrication. If this simulation is real, why would we be trained to do medical analysis like I am now doing. I am studying the deceit spread throughout the field. I am studying real medicine, which is knowing what to eat and when along with the foods interaction with genetics. With the invention of the net it is easier to find and compare a lot of different things than if I went to medical school where they teach you how to run a business and how to administer drugs to people.

Why would they need a doctor in the future, or is this a normal part of everyones training. This world really doesn't exist I guess if this is true. But if we cannot learn to take care of this world I doubt if we will be allowed in the real world. Maybe that is what heaven is. Who here can prove to me that this reality is really real. So in an advanced reality tied to our nervous system pain could be real and so could be death. If you die here you die as an infant in the real world? I do not know. I don't even know for sure that any of this is real.

Since I do not know, I will continue doing what I have always done. Be honest as I can and try to pull my weight as well as I can with the disabilities I presently have. I guess I should have been more observant of the actions of others before. I messed up a little but have learned my lesson I hope. Now that I have finally grown up and see the roses, I might be on my way to the truth. Most people don't wake up till they get old. They think they are aware of things but in reality they have just learned to only see what they want to see. This is a really impressive and realistic simulation if it is a Simulation.

I know that the people releasing this are from Washington where they just legalized Pot.
I also know that the probability of this is very low. Look at the probability of our existance though, isn't that nearly impossible also. The fact that a really weak race developed into powerful and negligent societies. Humanity can be an animal trait, I see more humanity in nature than I see in a lot of people. This lack of humanity I would expect normally, Compassion and love is a lot more advanced of a thing than anything science can comprehend.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Will someone please re-boot me..

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

But if this one that you refer to as god is the controller of the program, than what he/she is studying is how chaos can happen if morals are not present. Interference by these beings, or programers if you desire, would be next to nothing. If this is a simulation they would have parameters that would need to be implemented and the computer would choose who received insight into what was happening with the permission of the programer.

I'm going to try to hack into the computer to try to take control to make this a better world
If you thought it is messed up now, just think how bad it would be if I was in control

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by union_jack

I'd be more than happy to give you a kick in the a$$

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join