Westboro Baptist Church Hate Group Petition Reaches 85,983 Signatures

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
As far as I know, this does not mean anything. "Hate group" has no legal or official meaning in the US.

They pose a threat to the welfare and treatment of others and will not improve without some form of imposed regulation.”

Imposed regulation? No, thanks.

The logical extreme of free speech is that you can do as much harm to people as you want, as long as you only use psychological terror.

Mentally sane people can take psychologically distressing opinions from time to time, it is when the abuse is repeated and continuous that there is a risk of significant harm. But thats what laws against harrassment are for.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Current count at 137,516. Over-shadowed however, directly to the left by "Immediately address the issue of gun control through introduction of legislation in Congress" with 159,495 signatures...
edit on 17-12-2012 by 1/2 Nephilim because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

Laws that churches are immune to, evidently.
Apparently the group's leader is a lawyer, so even if his people do go over the line, his organization can't be touched.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

Mentally sane people can take psychologically distressing opinions from time to time, it is when the abuse is repeated and continuous that there is a risk of significant harm. But thats what laws against harrassment are for.

Mentally sane people can break. "Sane" does not mean "impervious", and it shouldn't have to, either. That's the point we're trying to make. Are you seriously willing to sacrifice the esteem of hundreds of people for the freedom of the thousands who torment them?

Thus is the price of freedom - those who don't want to enjoy their own lives, but ruin the lives of others.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

(if I am not mistaken this is the most signatures on a single petition in the history of the site. Edit to add: I stand corrected with the gun control issue. Thank you 1/2 Nephilim)

I laid down for a nap and come back to 2 more pages on my thread. Thank you. I would also like to thank everyone who has posted for keeping it civil and in the form of a discussion rather than a urinating match.

I agree with Beezzer in that Free Speech is Free Speech. We should have the right to speak our minds as we see fit but unfortunately this is taken to the extreme such as it is in many cases dealing with groups like WMC. All too often the Freedom of Speech has been used to completely disregard respect and to completely slough off responsibility. It has become a tool to assert assumed authority and mob type mentality. I think that respect was assumed and therefore left out of the Bill of Rights, but as times and mentalities have changed this assumption is being used against us. They do have the right to say as they wish and I will defend it, but it is the way they are going about it, with total disregard to respect and lack of taking responsibility that bothers me.

Unfortunately or fortunately, however you choose to see it, our right to Freedom of Speech has already been limited and this petition is using those, politically correct, loopholes in order to force limitation. This is becoming more and more an issue with things like the Patriot Act and the War on Terror coming into place. In some ways, in this situation, I am glad that people are telling the Government that they want WMC to take responsibility for what they are doing to others. As I see it they are violating the Rights to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. I don't think that one Right can over shadow another for a single parties agenda, however, there have been many changes, good and bad, that have come of these types of situations.

I think I am in agreement with limiting where picketing can take place. We do have the Right to picket but nowhere does it say we can do it wherever we wish. This is the second time, by my memory, that WMC has done this with funerals in order to push their limited agendas. I disagree with this 100%. If they feel the need to say what they need to say they can do it without disrupting the Right to gather of those that are participating in the funerals not their Right to Travel in the process of gathering.

Are they a hate group? Yes, I think they are, in fact by the laws of today I think they even borderline being considered terrorists as they do create fear for those having to come into proximity of their pickets. I am not sure what the answer is but I am glad this situation and that group are being put into this situation as it MAY help in the long run. Unfortunately, the U.S. Government has a history of not attempting to find a happy medium and limiting our Rights instead and this is what scares me the most.

edit on 17-12-2012 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

When do the government answer these said petitions? I'm still awaiting a response to Succession.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by foodstamp

Once the petition final date is reached it usually take 2 to 3 weeks to be addressed. In the case of the States seceding petitions they will be addressing Texas within the next 3 weeks from this past Friday as posted earlier in this thread.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
the WBC is a loathsome scum group that truely redefines the worst part of humanity.

But

What are they saying that is offensive that is not pretty clearly sourced from the holy bible? The old testiment does indeed say their message..not in as colorful a way, but it very much anti-homosexual, and does sort of spike the football at all events of tragedy when it effects a theoretically sinful nation.

So, are they truely a hate group, when they are ultimately just saying what the bible says? Should then the bible be considered hate propaganda?

Its easy to ignore the technicalities when you feel offended, but once you start wanting legislation passed, you better damn well know what your asking...the only way to stop them from their movement is to ban the bible...is that what you lot are asking for?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by foodstamp
reply to post by Agarta

When do the government answer these said petitions? I'm still awaiting a response to Succession.

Does it matter?

Let me do a bit of prediction here I would bet a dollar on.
Petition of succession: denied.

next.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Well, yeah, but aren't you curious about how they address it?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Ah yes, I happened to stumble upon this petition a while back when I was just scrolling through the different petitions. Some were silly, some were well thought out.... This is one of the few I jumped at the chance to sign!

While I respect the rights of the WBC to practice freedom of speech, let's be honest, all they ever speak of is hatred...

And in that sense, they are very much a hate group.

Do I wish this group would dissolve? Sure, but at the same time, as much as I hate what they have to say, they have every right to say it....

But yes, they are very much a hate group and should be recognized as such...

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1/2 Nephilim
reply to post by Agarta

Current count at 137,516. Over-shadowed however, directly to the left by "Immediately address the issue of gun control through introduction of legislation in Congress" with 159,495 signatures...
edit on 17-12-2012 by 1/2 Nephilim because: (no reason given)

Two amendments killed with one stone then.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by EllaMarina
reply to post by Maslo

Laws that churches are immune to, evidently.
Apparently the group's leader is a lawyer, so even if his people do go over the line, his organization can't be touched.

I dare say it can. The groups day to day leader is Shirley girl, who is a lawyer, and she doesn't respect freedom of speech herself, since she told someone to "Shut up" not very lawyerish IMO. Anyway the whole setup is being fragmented from within with family leaving the church.
Louis Sebastian Theroux 3 just did not ask the right questions, he concentrated more on the interactions in the group, rather than the religious aspects.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
My heart goes out to the families of the children being buried this week. I dont live in the USA but i tell you now, if one of these hate filled excuses of a human being ever gate crashed a funeral i was holding I would punch their lights out so fast they would not even have time to blink. How dare these people have the arrogance and insensitivity to do so on these innocent children's funerals. How would THEY like it if everyone gatecrashed one of their members funerals or events etc? They would not like it one jot.

People of America I urge you to take a non violent approach to these clowns. Go to their places of "worship" and sit down peacefully in mass sit in's and hold placards high and proudly with messages of support for victims of ALL hate crime. If it worked for Ghandi it should work in this situation too.

Once again my deepest and most sincerest condolences to ALL those affected by the horrors of last week. Dont let evil win.
edit on 17/12/12 by Wirral Bagpuss because: typos

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
why should the corrupt gov't be involved??

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Just watched the video, wow, they are more
messed up than i previously thought.

But that being said, i am not sure this is the way
to go about it...

do they qualify as a cult, sure in my book, but
who's to say those of us that go to ATS do not fall
into the same catagory?

Its a slippery slope once we allow govt to dictate
be careful what you ask for...

i do believe something should be done about them,
but i am not quite sure this is it...

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Has anyone else encountered problems at the White House petition site?
First had problems with Facebook account after posting link to petition.
Then a notice about internet connection problems with social sites, only belong to FB.
Home page on FB was scrambled for awhile.
Earlier watching White house site getting 200 / min, now hardly any.

Would this petition cause some problem? Is it being limited?
Don't know, just questions?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by donlashway

No I am not having issues with FB or the petition site.

New signature count=

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Does it really mean anything? I guess it's one way to show people your distain for some organization but I'm afraid this might be used for certain agendas or to further or erase some political groups...what if 85, 983 signed a petition for the tea party to be considered a hate group..what does it mean?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I was thinking how I would love to debate these people , but I then thought I would lose because you know what they say about arguing with ignorant people don't do it because the will they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join