Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Westboro Baptist Church Hate Group Petition Reaches 85,983 Signatures

page: 2
21
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537
 


Just Google it. You have to register with your name, email, and location in order to sign.




posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by jhn7537
 


Just Google it. You have to register with your name, email, and location in order to sign.


Found it and signed it... Good feeling sticking it back to this hateful group a little bit



posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537
 


Almost five times the amount of signatures they needed. At the very least, they got their foot in the door. Now maybe we'll see some results!



posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
II don't care what kind of rights WBC has


This position is no more correct than what the WBC is doing.

I don't support what the WBC is doing in any way, and I think they give Christians in general a bad name, but we all have rights. Some people abuse those rights by being obnoxious to others, but being obnoxious isn't against the law.

I'm not sure what would be the way to resolve this.

Can't someone talk to the leaders of that church group and point out the level of their insensitivity and hope to change their minds?

Probably not.

Ignoring them would be my solution. It won't be easy for the families, but they have seen the worst of mankind already with what happened to their children. Some crazy people with signs who are callous to their feelings isn't the worst thing in the world. Bad, but not as bad as what they are already experiencing.
edit on 17-12-2012 by On the Edge because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by On the Edge
 



I'm not sure what would be the way to resolve this.

Can't someone talk to the leaders of that church group and point out the level of their insensitivity and hope to change their minds?

Probably not.


How many Facebook posts, Tweets, blogs, emails, letters, postcards, and various other messages do you think this group has received regarding the questionable nature of its beliefs, and the ways those beliefs have been broadcast to the world?

Many. Many, many, many. They have angered a massive amount of people, and those people have just struck back. There's a line between religious expression and harassment. They are about to find out exactly where that line is...and I'll be smiling the whole time. Just like this --->


I'm not a vindictive person, by any means. But I will NOT stand for, or condone, any form of injustice. The more you do so, the easier it becomes. It's not a healthy habit to pick up. And if we don't teach the WBC how to communicate less disruptively, then they'll just keep on doing it. Like a small dog that keeps diving at your heels or barking loudly.
edit on 17-12-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Banning assault weapons.
Banning free speech.

Well, that's the 1st and 2nd amendments down.

It'll be "conditional" speech.

"Conditional" gun ownership.

Ain't nuthin' free anymore.



posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Banning assault weapons.
Banning free speech.

Well, that's the 1st and 2nd amendments down.

It'll be "conditional" speech.

"Conditional" gun ownership.

Ain't nuthin' free anymore.


So you welcome WBC's rights to spit their hate?
edit on 17-12-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer
 


Are you defending the WBC's desire to picket the funeral and broadcast their approval of the childrens' deaths by God's hand as punishment for the continued protection of homosexuals nationwide? Are you defending their compulsion to spread such vulgar messages so close to the homes of those lost lives?



posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537

Originally posted by beezzer
Banning assault weapons.
Banning free speech.

Well, that's the 1st and 2nd amendments down.

It'll be "conditional" speech.

"Conditional" gun ownership.

Ain't nuthin' free anymore.


So you welcome and are willing to protect WBC's rights to spit their hate?


Yes.

Free speech is not just "speech that I agree with."

It's the freedom of expression.

Not government approved expression.



posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by beezzer
 


Are you defending the WBC's desire to picket the funeral and broadcast their approval of the childrens' deaths by God's hand as punishment for the continued protection of homosexuals nationwide? Are you defending their compulsion to spread such vulgar messages so close to the homes of those lost lives?


Yes.

I don't agree with them, but I'll fight to defend their right to spew their hatred.

I don't agree with OWS.
I don't agree with progressive platforms.

But I will NEVER shut them up!



posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer
 



Yes.

I don't agree with them, but I'll fight to defend their right to spew their hatred.

I don't agree with OWS.
I don't agree with progressive platforms.

But I will NEVER shut them up!


So it's my right to stand in front of the White House and praise the name of Lucifer, while spouting invective and waxing full regarding my malcontent for Christianity, the government, the President, and various other topics generally held as sacred by society?
edit on 17-12-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer
 


So are you a "stick and stones" type of person? You don't believe hateful speech can be used as a weapon today?



posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by beezzer
 



Yes.

I don't agree with them, but I'll fight to defend their right to spew their hatred.

I don't agree with OWS.
I don't agree with progressive platforms.

But I will NEVER shut them up!


So it's my right to stand in front of the White House and praise the name of Lucifer?


Rock on, pumpkin!


I may not agree, but I'll punch anyone in the face who tries to deny your right to say it!



posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
reply to post by beezzer
 


So are you a "stick and stones" type of person? You don't believe hateful speech can be used as a weapon today?


Are we going to nitpick?

Play strawman?

I believe in the right to free speech. If people want to face the consequences of that speech (a pop to the nose) then so be it.

But any laws abridging freedom of expression is just wrong.



posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
While I agree with the sentiment that they deserve free speech too, I also believe they do need to be defined as a hate group. Their freedom of speech shouldn't repress others freedom to mourn. Which is exactly what they do.



posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer
 



I believe in the right to free speech. If people want to face the consequences of that speech (a pop to the nose) then so be it.


Free speech, eh? Then why am I not allowed to insult your mother, your heritage, your intelligence, and your weight on this forum? Not that I would even if I could. I'm just saying...freedom of speech is very much an illusion, because freedom of speech would cause more problems than it solves.

Case in point.



posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by beezzer
 



I believe in the right to free speech. If people want to face the consequences of that speech (a pop to the nose) then so be it.


Free speech, eh? Then why am I not allowed to insult your mother, your heritage, your intelligence, and your weight on this forum? Not that I would even if I could. I'm just saying...freedom of speech is very much an illusion, because freedom of speech would cause more problems than it solves.

Case in point.


Very nicely put!



posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by beezzer
 



I believe in the right to free speech. If people want to face the consequences of that speech (a pop to the nose) then so be it.


Free speech, eh? Then why am I not allowed to insult your mother, your heritage, your intelligence, and your weight on this forum? Not that I would even if I could. I'm just saying...freedom of speech is very much an illusion, because freedom of speech would cause more problems than it solves.

Case in point.


ATS does not have freedom of speech. ATS has T&C and rules.

Now if you wanted to create your own site and say that, you'd be "free" to.


...freedom of speech is very much an illusion, because freedom of speech would cause more problems than it solves.


Freedom has never been about solutions to problems. Freedom is all about, well, freedom.



posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer
 



Freedom has never been about solutions to problems. Freedom is all about, well, freedom.


If it doesn't create solutions, it creates problems. Sometimes it creates solutions AND problems.



posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
The freedom to state one's thoughts is one thing. Terrorizing people with them is another.
I almost... almost hope the group tries something physical so that they won't be able to hide behind a law technicality anymore.





new topics

top topics



 
21
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join