It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Adam Lanza's Survivalist Mother was Obsessed with Guns' Daily Mail article

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Daily Mail article

EXCLUSIVE: Gunman's 'survivalist' mother was OBSESSED with guns and stockpiled supplies as she planned for economic collapse before son shot her in the face while she lay in bed
-Nancy Lanza, 52, a 'survivalist,' was preparing for the end of the world economy by stockpiling food
-She was killed by her son, Adam Lanza, before the shooting rampage at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut
-She had five guns registered to her name, two of which her son used for killings
-Adam's father, Peter, is divorced from the mother and lives with new wife in Stamford, Connecticut Read more:

The mother of Newtown school massacre gunman Adam Lanza was a survivalist who was stockpiling food because she thought the world economy was on the verge of collapse.

Nancy Lanza began hoarding food and water because she feared that the onging financial crisis was going to bring about the end of civilized society.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
This article sort of speaks for itself. Most users here on ATS can probably see the implications of the slant of this article. seems a bit odd and strangely coincidental that they are accusing the shooter's mother of having been a type of person that the powers that be would be more than happy to demonize and somehow tie to this violence.
edit on 17-12-2012 by Jedimind because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Yeah, they’ve type-cast these “survivalists” now. They’ll be the new public enemy. It is amusing but sad how people fall for the MSM’s tricks and tactics.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
the daily mail is truly the toilet paper of the uk reporting world. i really wish ats members wouldn't use it as a legitimate source when it's known as the 'daily fail' in the uk. it's on a par with the news of the world and national enquirer so please take everything you read on that site with a pinch of salt.

i noticed some of the comments at the bottom, one reading:

Try reading some other news sources. This description of Nancy Lanza as a doomsday prepper is not matched by any major American news outlet. It's also not been verified that she took her sons shooting. Whatever her reasons for owning guns were, she was obviously a responsible gun user, since there haven't been any headlines about her shooting people.

i'm sure the poor murdered woman is going to be raked through the mud now, despite the fact that she was clearly a responsible gun owner that lived isolated from other properties. there are no other reports that she 'took her son shooting' so why has the daily mail decided to add this. grrrr.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyteeny

I agree that The Daily Mail is hardly the best source. I just wanted to point out their reporting about the mother in such a way as to make one suspicious if there was an agenda to make gun owners, preppers, etc. look bad.
In fact if there isn't truth to these things they're saying about her, then it's even more suspicious that they would just make up these survivalist, prepper, stockpiling, etc. descriptions in order try to play up that angle and in order to demonize this sort of a person who is distrustful of government and worried about shtf scenarios.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
She's into guns? Me too

I wonder what else we have in common.

Pffft

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I'm curious as to if the british media have reported on this guy's mental problems? According to the American MSM he was Wacko. For those of you across the pond who wonder why this happens in America. In Britian this guy would be in an Asylum. In America he would be refered to as "Special" and be free to roam.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Daily Mail- they had 9 pages on the pregnancy of Kate for crying out loud

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by anton74
I'm curious as to if the british media have reported on this guy's mental problems? According to the American MSM he was Wacko. For those of you across the pond who wonder why this happens in America. In Britian this guy would be in an Asylum. In America he would be refered to as "Special" and be free to roam.

Free range special

I'm going to use that later. Thanks for that

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Credenceskynyrd

9 Pages? What happened? Does knowbody care anymore? Why isn't there 24hr coverage? Just kidding, I lived in England for 6 yrs and found the coverage of the royalty rather humorous. Well, except the funeral of the Queen Mum which was sad.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   

9 Pages? What happened? Does knowbody care anymore? Why isn't there 24hr coverage? Just kidding, I lived in England for 6 yrs and found the coverage of the royalty rather humorous. Well, except the funeral of the Queen Mum which was sad.

ha ha indeed, why wasn't it in the sports section as well.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   

ha ha indeed, why wasn't it in the sports section as well.

Perhaps there was no Polo match for Prince William to attend.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Although many things reported thus far seem peculiar I find this to support the only possible motive that I have been able to postulate. If his mother was indeed obsessed with the imminence of some type of apocalyptic event; the obsession seen through her sons possibly disturbed mind could result in his having become what I believe is called an "Angel of Mercy" killer. I believe quite often people who murder children claim to have been acting as a type of guardian, believing that their murderous actions are preventing the experience of something much more horrific.

I would go as far as to say that his mother, if she herself were disturbed mentally, could have instigated his actions in a mass murder/suicide pact. Psychological and personality disorders are often hereditary and his father appears to be quite well adjusted.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Josephus
Although many things reported thus far seem peculiar I find this to support the only possible motive that I have been able to postulate. If his mother was indeed obsessed with the imminence of some type of apocalyptic event; the obsession seen through her sons possibly disturbed mind could result in his having become what I believe is called an "Angel of Mercy" killer. I believe quite often people who murder children claim to have been acting as a type of guardian, believing that their murderous actions are preventing the experience of something much more horrific.

I would go as far as to say that his mother, if she herself were disturbed mentally, could have instigated his actions in a mass murder/suicide pact. Psychological and personality disorders are often hereditary and his father appears to be quite well adjusted.

I read a few articles about people who knew him in school and everyone said he was "Special".

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jedimind
This article sort of speaks for itself. Most users here on ATS can probably see the implications of the slant of this article. seems a bit odd and strangely coincidental that they are accusing the shooter's mother of having been a type of person that the powers that be would be more than happy to demonize and somehow tie to this violence.

I'm no fan of the Daily Mail, or its politics, but the reality is that for a British newspapers and British readers, 'preppers' are an oddity. Britons aren't necessarily 'sheeple' - many, many people are increasingly angry or concerned with the way our country is going. However, it's viewed in a completely differently paradigm and as such, answers to these problems take on a completely different slant. Preppers, generally, are not a British phenomena. It's an alien concept that's treated as such.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

I understand that the culture of the UK may not be as used to the survivalist culture. But I still think that there's an agenda to the article to make a connection of the mass shooting to this survivalist culture and this is not appropriate, imo. Just the fact that they, along with other sources, highlight these details in the title's of their articles, the DM put the word 'obsessed' with guns in all caps in the title, etc. seems revealing to point towards an agenda of stricter gun control.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jedimind
reply to post by Merriman Weir

I understand that the culture of the UK may not be as used to the survivalist culture. But I still think that there's an agenda to the article to make a connection of the mass shooting to this survivalist culture and this is not appropriate, imo. Just the fact that they, along with other sources, highlight these details in the title's of their articles, the DM put the word 'obsessed' with guns in all caps in the title, etc. seems revealing to point towards an agenda of stricter gun control.

America is obsessed with guns. They're hardly being misleading stating this. If she was a prepper, then guns would have been fairly fundamental to her whole philosophy and outlook on life. The shooter used his prepper mother's guns collection to kill a load of kids. Where he got his guns from is fairly relevant to the story. If this facet wasn't reported, people would be be asking, 'why aren't they telling us where he got his guns from? I smell a rat? NWO manchurian candidate!!!!1'

top topics

join