It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous targets Westboro Baptist over threats of Newtown protest

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes

Originally posted by elysiumfire
These Baptisits preach a hate of 'righteousness', and such hate cannot be defended by, or hide behind, the right of religious freedom...nor should it. Not by any stretch of the imagination are they preaching the Christian code of love and 'samarition' (probably not a real word, but I use it adverbially pertaining to the samaritan parable) that Jesus is alleged to have taught. There is a need, a societal one, for their mindset to be argued with.

Did you not read any of the other posts? Or, for that matter, any comments from others about this group? They are NOT Baptists, no matter what they choose to call themselves. They are not affiliated with ANY baptist group, and nothing they do is in any way, shape, or form, like a real Baptist church. No, they are not (as you did state) doing anything close to what Christians are supposed to do. That's because they are a cult, mostly ONE extended family, calling themselves a "Baptist church".

When I see the Westboro Baptists behave the way they do at their protests. When I view the tone and content of their protest, my perception is that they overstep the protective boundary of the right to religious freedom. That they are abrogating their responsibility to uphold the right to religious freedom, and that they are bringing that right into disrepute. It is long overdue that society reminds them the limits of their right to religious freedom, and their responsibility to remain within them.

There, I have to totally disagree. I think those people are vile, and despicable, but they still have a right to practice religion as they wish, and to protest, like any other American. We don't get to take people's rights because we find them offensive. Placing some arbitrary "limit" on a freedom means it isn't a freedom at all.

As far as I can morally discern, they do not have a right to descrate the memory of those killed in overseas conflicts, those of alternative sexuality, and especially the 18 children and 6 adults whom died at the hands of the sociopathic Lanza. That is not a right I can agree with.

So you don't agree with freedom of speech? I think them doing what they do is horrible, but they still have a right to speak as they choose.

These people are more then a cult they are a hate group that incorporated themselves as a church to shield themselves from being labeled as a hate group.They are not practicing religion they are practicing hate. That would be like the KKK reforming themselves as the Church of the KKK then would it be OK for them to have "mass" about hating and blacks and jews as long as they threw in some things about God?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Westboro- uses loopholes in free speech and freedom of religion to perpetuate something that wasn't meant to be and uses it to terrorize people legally

Anonymous- uses loopholes in computer programs to take down websites and get confidential information that it posts about offending parties.

I think it's beautifully ironic and the westboro hypocrits deserve it!

Now if only the military could find some way to justify testing nuclear warheads in the vacinity and somehow blow them up, that would be awesome!

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
LadyGreenEyes:

They are not affiliated with ANY baptist group, and nothing they do is in any way, shape, or form, like a real Baptist church.

It's no concern of mine whether they are affiliated to other baptist groups or not, I view all religions as cults, and I do not vary that perception. They themselves believe they are baptists, and on that issue, I will treat them as baptists, allbeit, an extreme fundamentalist form. The umbrage you take by them adopting the term baptist is duly noted. Is it possible for you to note, I am not to blame for them doing so?

I think those people are vile, and despicable, but they still have a right to practice religion...

Just as long as it doesn't use the name of baptist, is that it. You don't want to curtail their form of worship, just their particular brand name for it. Do you know how to spell hypocrisy?

Placing some arbitrary "limit" on a freedom means it isn't a freedom at all.

I believe you do not understand or comprehend that when living within a society, freedom itself is necessarily limited. For you or I, or anyone else for that matter, to enjoy a sense of freedom our liberty affords us, we require - as they from us - a consensus from our co-society inhabitants to function and behave similarily as we do. We limit freedom in order that social order is preserved and holds longevity. Are you free to kill without consequence? Are you free to steal from some other without consequence? Are you free to offend without consequence? The answers to these questions is 'no', you are not free from consequence.

Freedom is not absolute, no society could survive it if it were. All our actions, all our thoughts and thinkings and perceptions impact upon others, more often in ways we do not readily or immediately perceive. It is an understanding of these precepts that afford society (over time) a wisdom to develop rights, laws, and rules for codifying the limits of behavioural freedoms, of curtailing them in the most prudent ways to maintain social order. Perhaps now, you comprehend and understand?

So you don't agree with freedom of speech?

Yes, I most certainly do, but not without an eye towards consequence. You would not walk down Harlem in New York wearing a placard with the writing "I hate Ni**ers!" no matter how much you believed in free speech. It is an extreme example I use from 'Die Hard 3' to illustrate the prudence of ethical censorship, it often saves us from ourselves.

I think them doing what they do is horrible, but they still have a right to speak as they choose.

It may seem very noble of you to uphold their right to offend, but it is a misguided sensibility. If they went to picket and protest for whatever at Newtown, declaring that it is God's judgement upon the children, I would have no hesitation in curtailing their speech. if I was one of the parents, there would be no way I would allow them to desecrate the memory of my child. If hate, leading to incitement, is the theme of your speech, you do not have a right to publicly annouce it...it is excluded from the 1st amendment which protects against unconstitutional censorship.

Many thanks for your comments. Peace.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
The WBC is a collection of hate-mongering idiots. This is hate speech, plain and simple. There is a limit to our Rights, and to free speech. There is the letter of the law, and the spirit of the law. There must be some reasonable expectation of common decency and decorum in society.
Would you want people to be able to come to your local schools and say ANYTHING they please to YOUR children? Show them any movie, give them a copy of any magazine, no matter what the content?
Morals and ethics are not starkly black and white, nothing is absolute.

I hope anonymous puts them down and then takes them OUT.
I think that if the WBC chooses to meddle in such an emotionally charged environment such as the Newtown community that they might actually put themselves in harm's way.
Shucks, I would just hate to see anything bad happen to those God Fearin' folks.....

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by AlchemistSwami

Haven't read all posts, but kallisti and others are in on this as well. These "people" will never change - and they will certainly never feel forgiveness, as they are at the opposite end of the spectrum from Grace. Doesn't matter what, if any, religion you follow. This is simply how human psychology works.

That said, if by any chance CIA or any other "letter agency" monitors these boards...if you're taking requests, please heart attack (verb) every member of the Westboro Baptist Church. Except for the "leader" - somehow, let's ensure a sloooow, painful death to him.

Honestly, I rank this guy up there with Pol Pot. To intrude on people's grieving in the face of tragedy is a horrific thing. While their attacks may not be physical, they are among the worst forms of mental and spiritual abuse I have ever seen. May they all burn in hell.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Have there been any developments in this story since original posting? It is very interesting.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I'm just hope someone goes ape-*SNIP* on them at some point or another...

Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors - Please Review This Link.
Please read the link above as profanity is not allowed on our website...
edit on 12/19/2012 by JohnnyAnonymous because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
WBC needs to realize that these parents are probably mentally destroyed and may have the "I have nothing else to live for" state of mind. With that being said, I would not doubt that one of these parents would do something to these people and release their anger over the loss of their child.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by grumpydaysleeper

"They should be classified as a hate group "

You mean a poor white trash group.

On one hand I kind of support some of their ideas, I mean if you picket the funerals of soldiers, maybe more will say f that IM not joining if no one is going to respect me. Maybe parents will stop encouraging them or supporting them when they should be teaching them how to get a real education. which I think is great because our military has become nothing but mercenaries for hire. And a strong defense is just as good as a strong offense. So why the need for wars we don't belong in, we are not the worlds police, so that would make us mercenaries.

On the other hand some of the other things they do just make no f ing sense at all, picket the school. Why did the kids sign up for war? Did the parent of the dead kids hand out bullets and guns to the other kids? Just straight up poor white trash. I mean just looking at the wife make you wonder if she isn't her grand dadys baby ^^

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Clisen33

wouldnt it be ironic if they used a gun ?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
People in the surrounding communities should support the grieving parents and create a human shield blocking the WBC from making their way to the school... then the anti-WBC group should protest aggainst the WBC in a manner that doesn't instigate but rather drowns out the WBC's demonstration. Maybe with some bikers rallying to block out the WBC bs...

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   

What would posting their address and emails accomplish? I was under the impression they all pretty much lived in the same gated compound. Everyone in the vicinity already hates them and know who they are and where they live. It's not like westboro tries to hide their faces, identities, and locations. They openly announce they hate the entire world and think everyone but them is going to hell and aren't shy about causing as much pain as possible during national tragedies.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

SO ANON is stooping this low.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I for strongly dislike Westboro Baptist. It is disgusting that they claim they do things in the name of God.
Oh what a surprise they are in for when they pass away and God tells them how things truly are.

Two White House petitions, both published on Friday, aim to classify the Westboro Baptist Church as a hate group. "Legally recognize Westboro Baptist Church as a hate group" currently has close to 67,000 signatures, while another called "Define the Westboro Baptist Church as a hate group due to promoting animosity against differing cultural demographics" clocks in at 16,000 signatures. Petitions that gain 25,000 signatures by Jan. 13, 2013 will be viewed by the Obama Administration, and a response will be issued.
mashable.com...

I can't wait to hear what Obama will say. They should be legally deemed a hate group.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Damn this group pisses me off.

They are extremely lucky to not have me in their presence.

Way to go anon. Doing the right thing.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by grownshow

What would posting their address and emails accomplish? I was under the impression they all pretty much lived in the same gated compound. Everyone in the vicinity already hates them and know who they are and where they live. It's not like westboro tries to hide their faces, identities, and locations. They openly announce they hate the entire world and think everyone but them is going to hell and aren't shy about causing as much pain as possible during national tragedies.

This was the 2nd thing I thought! They dont hide.

The 1st thing I thought was "well it doesn't take world class hackers to mess with WBC's computers, anyone could just keep calling them and disconnect those backwards ass yokels dialup connection"

edit on 18-12-2012 by 1/2 Nephilim because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Update in story: Anonymous Hacks WBC Twitter Account.

Link to story.

The hacktivist who took over Phelps-Roper’s account goes by the Internet handle CosmoTheGod and changed the WBC’s leader’s Twitter background to an image of the state of Connecticut with the text, "Pray for Newtown." The Anonymous member also retweeted several users who supported the group’s attack

WBC's modified Twitter feed.
edit on 18-12-2012 by PrincessTofu because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-12-2012 by PrincessTofu because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-12-2012 by PrincessTofu because: Neutrality

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlchemistSwami
Petition 1
Petition 2

I don't belong to that group, but as I remember it is against the T&C to post links to such petitions.

I find it a bit ironic that when certain other petitions are posted, they are almost immediately taken out, and these two have been allowed to stay.

Not to mention the fact that hate groups like the KKK are allowed to have their voices heard, and organizations like ACLU have fought in defense of similar hate groups.

I doubt anything will be done about this, because then they would have to stop every other hate group, including leftwingers, who love to insult, and deride anyone that is not a leftwinger.

I don't agree with what the WBC has done, but they have their right to speak their minds.

edit on 18-12-2012 by ElectricUniverse because: add comments.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
is it just me , or does wbc always come out at a time when distractions are needed? i get the feeling that they are on someones payroll. it will be interesting to see what anon is able to release hopefully some sort of financial info. but i will be just as content to see people picket and protest the wbc members private lives.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by IsawWHATtheyDID
is it just me , or does wbc always come out at a time when distractions are needed? i get the feeling that they are on someones payroll. it will be interesting to see what anon is able to release hopefully some sort of financial info. but i will be just as content to see people picket and protest the wbc members private lives.

So you are in favour of taking away the free speech rights of people you don't happen to agree with?

What if hundreds of thousands of people suddenly signed a petition to stop your right to free speech because they disagree with your views?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join