It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antidepressants To Blame For "ALL" Mass Shootings?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by oniraug

i guess the military handing them out is the reason for the all time high suicides too

Then I guess I'm one in a million it hasnt done to it?
sorry i dont believe that, the ONLY thing any of these meds have done to me as far as a side effect is killed my sex drive, and im okay with that

ETA: I know alot of us in ther VA medical system that are on these meds, and we dont think of killing anyone
Sorry, i think its the person themselves, not the meds causing it, they might have done it anyhow meds or not
edit on 1/16/2013 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I thought it was all those darn violent video games! How could it have anything to do with drugs that can dramatically alter your state of mind?!?!?!? It's those fake guns you're always shooting in video games that make you want to do it in real life!!!

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

LMAO, I play those too, Medal of Honor, Modern Warfare, I play paintbal and airsoft as well, and i still dont think of causing a murderous bloody rampage

I think some people are predisposed to violent tendencies

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I still think its the drugs cause the people that i knew that went on em did a complete 360 personality wise.

I think the guy above simply is a 1 percenter who doesn't get the super evil kill effects from it

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
I still think its the drugs cause the people that i knew that went on em did a complete 360 personality wise.

I think the guy above simply is a 1 percenter who doesn't get the super evil kill effects from it

I dont get it?
i'm done, talking to people like YOU is like talking to a wall

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Psych meds linked to 90% of school shootings

Read the article or don't. My opinion is made up on this until shown otherwise using facts and then logic.

While people react differently to different things (ex. I don't die when stung by a bee or ingest peanuts but you or they might), there is no doubt in my mind that abuse of prescription drugs is directly related to the mass killings going on in America. It may not be the only reason but it may be the catalyst for it in certain people.

If 'comfortably over 90%' of the school shooters were on medications then the meds aren't working for these individuals. And if they are not working, what are they doing exactly??

edit on 13-4-2013 by Phayte because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-4-2013 by Phayte because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
You can't be serious about this post.

I am sorry, but it is not the antidepressants (or whichever other psychiatric medication you can name) that causes people to kill people.

It is the disease that makes those people take psychiatric meds that is behind the mass killings.

Originally posted by HomerinNC
This is a load of BS, its NOT antidepressants, I've been on various meds for depression since 1994, and never ONCE did i snap and want to go shooting people!!!
The Army put me on Paxil then Zoloft when I was in, and I never once thought of taking my weapon and shooting other people, even when on the range!!
Since then I've been on prozac, lithium, depakote, welbutrin, and NEVER EVER snapped and went off on a shooting spree, never THOUGHT OF IT!!!
As a matter of fact, the Army and the VA has tried most those drugs listed on the above post
So the people saying its because of drugs are full of CRAP!!!

This stuff makes me annoyed as hell when they try to say that

I've been on the stuff for 19 years, still the same person, not as depressed lol

You are correct. I agree.

I cannot believe the lack of information some people handle.

In my country psychiatric meds are as normal as any other med. Most people are on one pill or another. It is natural, since I live in the country with the highest rate of psychologists per capita in the world.

Whatever you have, they blame it on your head here.

And I don't think they are all that mistaken.

But in my country, well, we had one serial killer in history. That was it. ONE.

The rest of the crimes we have are murders involving family members, failed love stories, robberies, and such.

In America however, you have had so many cases I cannot even begin to count. And this is not happening in the last years, this has been happening for decades. Or have people forgotten Manson, Ramirez and others?

The problem you have is in the way people are raised. It is the media, TV, movies, that screws people's heads up. And they end up doing what they end up doing.

Don't blame it on the meds. Doctors, pharmacologists, psychiatrists, and other experts around the world spend their entire existence trying to find a solution to mental diseases. And you think they are to blame for creating the drugs they create.

Many people thank them for their job, they are able to live normal happy lives due to their work.

Sorry if I am being hard, it is not my intention, but you are pointing your finger in the wrong direction.

If someone understands spanish, here is an article on this matter.

elestadista.com.ar...
edit on 14-4-2013 by Sifar because: Can't insert the link correctly.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Froggy55

Antidepressants To Blame For "ALL" Mass Shootings

The people that fired the guns are at fault too along with a government that allows its citizens to carry weapons legally..

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
Just bumping this thread.

I was just doing some research on all these shootings and noticed mention of SSRI's having been involved in just about all, if not most, of these mass shooting

Really surprised that this isn't getting the attention it deserves here on ATS an in general

Star & flag

the larger the corporation and thus profits. the less you will see them scrutinized. it just takes a lot more people getting killed or hurt, for them to be forced to take responsibility. it's been that way for some time...don't believe it?....when was the last time you saw GE, ATT, EXXON or any other "blue-chip stock" companies name in the MSM news for some type of malfeasance or lawsuit against it? and yet, if you dig deep enough, these corporations are fighting lawsuits that never see the public's eye.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Iv'e been on antidepressants for years going back to 1980's and for the last 3yrs iv'e been taking Sertraline 100mg which is a pretty high dose.

I read the the booklet about them and went on the internet to read about them because i wanted to no what i was taking and the side affects, i started of on 50mg and after 6 months they put them up to 100.

Iv'e went from a shy frightened person who never went out to myself again within a month of taking them the only side affect i have is when i take 1 in the mornings i fall back to sleep so i take it at 5 so i can get up at a decent time.

Depression runs in my family and my aunts took antidepressants for years too, i didn't no my aunts where on them until one told me as i wasn't feeling the best and she told me to go to the doc's.

Not once did i see my aunts lose it they where nice happy family women who lived into there 80's iv'e only one left now. i also have never had a violent thought (well apart my ex hubby that is!! but that doesn't count lol)

I did have a friend who was on one i can't remember the name of them but they where the wonder drug of the 80's and i think it started with a p, well any hoo she started to get suicide thoughts and had to come of them and that's the only person i no of who had bad thoughts but that was against herself.

When i first went on antidepressants my doc brought me in every 4 weeks to see how they where affecting me and i was on 2 other different ones until i started the sertraline so not all doc's are that bad plus mine looks like Superman so i didn't mind going in lol.

I don't no if antidepressants are to blame or not for people shooting folk, i thought i'd just tell you my story, isn't this what ATS is all about friendships, and to let you all no i'm not a fruit cake

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Sifar

I agree. These shooters are not 100% right in their minds which is why they shoot people ánd were on meds. Saying meds cause shootings is like saying using umbrellas cause rainbows. You could possibly drum up some study showing that in 90% of the days with rainbows people were using umbrellas but it won't mean anything if you don't know what the third variable is that causes both (rain in this case, up for debate in the shootings).

Concluding that correlation must equal causation is an oversimplification of the problem.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Froggy55

If you can find one case in which totally senseless violence like we saw in Aurora, Columbine, or Sandy Hook, that didn't involve an SSRI... Then I'll be ready to join the gun control advocates that are screaming to end civilian gun ownership.

Charles Whitman 1966 Texas Clocktower sniper. No Antidepressants ( Graperfruit sized brain tumor - but no antidepressants)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by VforVendettea

Let's also not forget the 1927 Bath School Disaster. Andrew Kehoe blew up the Bath Consolidated School with dynamite killing 45 people after killing his wife earlier in the day. He then pulled up to the school in his car and set off a bomb killing himself and four others. This is the deadliest mass killing in US history and occurred decades before any medication was prescribed for mental disorders.
edit on 4/14/2013 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
More likely to be a social/economic reason than anti-depressents... ask why these people were depressed and angry in the first place.
edit on 14-4-2013 by Mister_Bit because: spelling

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I know how a lot of these medicines work, having studying their method of action and the reason for some of the side effects for a while now. I know that they can cause a person to do this just because I understand what it does in the brain. A person can fight the urge if their morals are strong though. This brings up another problem in our present society....Don't spoil your kids and teach them that everything alive has rights to experience life.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Froggy55

I am sorry to say this so harshly, but this is a huge pile of illogical waste.

So anti-depressants are the cause for ALL the whackos that went berserk over the years? All of them?

I do not really know where to start on this one as there are so many obvious points that come to mind.

Ok here is one. Antidepressants are there to elevate moods, or to be even more clear, they do the exact opposite of what you are describing.

Am I correct in assuming that you personally have 0 experience with these drugs?

I thought so.

The other more important point is that you isolate a single factor as a reason for these shootings. That simply does not make any sense. So if everything else where the same (same parents, upbringing, same schools and friends, same everything), but they JUST didn´t take the mood elevators (do you have sources that the columbine kids for example were taking them?) then they wouldn´t have killed?

Is that what you are saying?

How can such a ridiculous thought even formulate itself within your mind?

I´m baffled.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join