It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dinosaur named Obamadon after President- Thoughts?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

A new prehistoric lizard species has been named Obamadon Gracilis after President Obama.

The lizard was first discovered in eastern Montana in 1974 but only recently classified as a new species.

Yale scientists combined the Latin 'Obamadon' for 'Obama's teeth' and 'gracilis' meaning slender to name the toothy lizard.

'The lizard has these very tall, straight teeth and Obama has these tall, straight incisors and a great smile,' said Nick Longrich, a palaeontologist at the school in New Haven, Connecticut.

Mr Longrich decided to wait until after the US election to name the dinosaur.

'It would look like we were kicking him when he's down if he lost and we named this extinct lizard after him.'

Although, Mr Longrich admits, 'Romneydon' and 'Clintondon' were not suitable for the lizard.

Whist Obama can boast to now having three animal species named after him, he is not the only politician with a feral twin.

The extinct sloth species Megalonyxx jeffersonii was named after President Thomas Jefferson.

Other celebrities whose names have made it into the animal kingdom include 'Bob Marley' the crustacean and 'Beyonce' the horse fly. The Obamadon was wiped out, with many other dinosaurs, when an asteroid hit the earth 65 million years ago.
source

Is this comical?

Is this an honor?

Will there be a new supply of late night jokes?

What about the people that think he is already a lizard?

What do you ATS'ers think about this. Personally, I find it funny because I am not too big on politicians. *grumbles*

edit on 12/16/2012 by mcx1942 because: edited

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I'm guessing this dinosaur has poor credit :[
Poor dinosaur..

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Scientific sycophants.

Wow that's disgusting and curious.

I was hoping that obama was some archaic meaning for 'slender' as I read and was formulating an "Ahha so Obama is Slenderman." malarky or something.

But it's far more concerning that some people think it's a worthy agenda to use his name to refer to an extinct creature.

Now if we can just rename Nibiru to Obama, we can merge the 2012/nibiru threads with the Political Madness threads.

ATS would save $$$ in server space overnight!

edit on 16-12-2012 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by mcx1942

Well, we know for sure that this species was a carnivore....

But then again... lizard teeth aren't always perfect in the wild...maybe more like...

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Obamazon Birthcertificateless...better tha mittodon omormanus......jus kiddn,,Im interested in other peoples interpretations of what the dino bones would have looked like, not only the mainstream dino models. Ive seen a few posts on here regarding what dinos could have looked like. Independents saying that the mainstream made the bones conveniently work, who knows , not that I buy either but interesting nonetheless.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Lizards are dinosaurs again?

I think this is good fuel for the reptilian Illuminati peeps!

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I woke up this morning thinking about this thread and wanted to look into other people that have had species named after them. There are some interesting ones out there. I found Obama has another species named after him.
I wanted to post that one as well as a few more species named after famous people.

Barack Obama: Caloplaca obamae

Our current president's namesake is an orange-colored lichen. Discovered in California, the lichen was named this March. Kerry Knudsen, the lichen curator in the University of California, Riverside Herbarium, picked the name to "show my appreciation for the president's support of science and science education."

George W. Bush, Agathidium bushi; Dick Cheney, Agathidium cheneyi; and Donald Rumsfeld, Agathidium rumsfeldi

ll three members of the former administration have a slime-mold beetle named in their honor. Wheeler is responsible for this choice, which was meant as a compliment. He said President Bush called to thank him for the gesture.

Darth Vader: Agathidium vaderi

Wheeler named another slime-mold beetle in honor of the fictional Star Wars villain. The reasoning is that both Darth Vader and his namesake have broad, shiny heads and similar eyes.

Stephen Colbert: Aptostichus stephencolberti and Agaporomorphus colberti

The comedian, who has begged scientists to name species after him on The Colbert Report, has been honored twice--once with a spider and once with a Venezuelan diving beetle. The beetle species is notable for its male reproductive organs, which display a unique row of fine hairs.

Source

Anyone else think it is funny/odd the 'old administration' get their namesakes on
slime-mold beetles? They just happened to name one of the beetles after Darth Vader as well.
*Wink, wink*

top topics

join