Aust schools safe following US shooting

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

A lone gunman shot and killed 20 young children and seven adults in one of America's worst school shootings at the Sandy Hook elementary school in the Connecticut town of Newtown. All of the children were aged six or seven.
"Schools are among the safest places in the community," a NSW spokesman said.

source

It is true, Australian schools are safe. Why is this? Because guns are illegal? Because they say so?

Maybe it is just a reassurance thing. Can't remember the last time there was a mass anything at an Australian school. Couple of kids got shot with a bow and arrow, couple of kids got stabbed with a knife.

So why is this?

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Guns aren't illegal in Australia. It's just very hard to get one legally. Pistols are virtually impossible and assault weapons are a no go.

Australia doesn't have the same "gun culture" America does.

Sure schools are safe in Australia.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
To be honest I dont care about this gun argument anymore. America can go on deluding themselves thinking they all need handguns on them at all times for protection. Keep telling yourself you will be safer if everybody has them, and go on living in constant fear of your government and your neighbor. You can have your wild west, have fun.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Polonia

So is that reason the schools are safe? Because it is hard to get guns?

Or is it a cultural thing?

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Hard to get a weapon, schools practice lock-down and evacuation procedures. They're pretty safe, compared to America they're extremely safe. It also seems like people in Australia and generally nicer, but that's my view.
edit on 16-12-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by magma
reply to post by Polonia

So is that reason the schools are safe? Because it is hard to get guns?

Or is it a cultural thing?

Well we don't have school massacres if that's what you are asking.

As far as culture goes, we are a pretty layed back society and if you have an arguement with someone, you don't need to worry about them pulling out a gun and blowing your head off.
edit on 16-12-2012 by Polonia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
its not hard to get an illegal gun in australia.

whoever said that is living in a cave.

i could go out now and in 2 hours have not only a gun, but a clean untraceable gun.

we dont have as many shootings as quite simply we dont have the population density.
there are plenty of stabbings and random shooting, but not usually the mass shootings in public places.

in fact the exchange of gunfire this year between rival bikie gangs and even just civilians has skyrocketed.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Lets see….

What is stopping a person from strapping a pressurized tank of their back filled with gasoline and hooked to a spray nozzle from walking into a school event and dousing the several hundred people and letting them burn alive?

All the parts to make it are available from the local hardware store, no checks required to buy either.

What is stopping someone from taking sparklers or match heads and sticking them in a metal pipe to blow up people in an auditorium?

There are also countless millions of rifles in the Australian black market. They confiscate real fully automatic AK47s from drug runners all the time in Australia. What is stopping a drug user from buying one from his druggy friends and using it to kill countless people in school?

Umm.. I think the answer to all three of those is…. Nothing!

Welcome to feel good national policy. It doesn’t have to actually do anything, it just has to make people feel better.

The reason they don’t have as many school shootings is the au population is 1/15 the US population. So there will be less shootings per year even with the same number of shootings per capita. And that it is just that no one has wanted to.
edit on 16-12-2012 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by okamitengu

I disagree with you on that one. I believe 90% of law abiding citizens in Australia wouldn't have a clue where to obtain an illegal firearm, let alone a clean untraceable one.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Polonia

I disagree with you on that one. I believe 90% of law abiding citizens in Australia wouldn't have a clue where to obtain an illegal firearm, let alone a clean untraceable one.

Do you have a friend that uses illegal drugs? Talk to them, they, and their suppliers, can hook you up.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny

Do you have a friend that uses illegal drugs? Talk to them, they, and their suppliers, can hook you up.

I don't have friends using illegal drugs, and why would I want them to "hook me up"?

The penalties for being caught with an illegal gun in Australia are very severe. Why would I take the risk?

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Do you know what, I knew a story was comming in light of the terrible news in the USA. Stories like these always pop up. Why, in inform us auzzies all is safe blah blah blah.

Well I damn well hope 'their right' of course their right..... It's just I don't want to even think about the possibility of them being wrong. They can't be wrong, can they?

Sorry my post is a bit ranty, I just feel horrible for what's happened. I find myself counting my lucky stars I live in the country I do. The one that says "OUR" children are safe at schools.

These reassurance news stories make me queasy and unsettled. I feel like fate is tempted. Jinxing us aaahhhh. I'm sure there would be one or two people in Australia that have an illegal gun in possession!!

There are guns in Australia, there are mentally unstable, there are social outcasts or socially withdrawn people.
Just like all over the world and its too damn scary.

Eta: post a bit ranty, a bit sarcastic, a bit hopeful and a whole lot of sadness or madness, err I don't know like most what the hell to think anymore.
edit on 16-12-2012 by feelingconnected because: (no reason given)
edit on 16-12-2012 by feelingconnected because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   

I don't have friends using illegal drugs, and why would I want them to "hook me up"?

The penalties for being caught with an illegal gun in Australia are very severe. Why would I take the risk?

Question…. Do you have any concept of hyperbole?

The point is, you have a very naive view of what is going on in the world around you.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

If you didn't want to be taken literally, why post it?

Our "world" in Australia is a very different world to what you live in Indiana Mr Tranny.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

i could go out now and in 2 hours have not only a gun, but a clean untraceable gun.

we dont have as many shootings as quite simply we dont have the population density.
there are plenty of stabbings and random shooting, but not usually the mass shootings in public places.

in fact the exchange of gunfire this year between rival bikie gangs and even just civilians has skyrocketed.

You must know a lot of nasty crooks if you can get an untraceable gun in less than 2 hours.

Backward barny and his brother ben cant just walk into the local pub and say "Hey bluey, give us yer shot gun will ya mate."

I doubt your claims. Feel free to entertain the idea, go and purchase a gun and post piccies for all

edit on 16-12-2012 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Yep, your all one stop shop..

You're so full of it I can't even begin.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

[If you didn't want to be taken literally, why post it?

(Bangs head on table)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Just a FYI, the recent 2011 police raid on lebanese gangs in the Eastern States, who are islamic gangs based on their own self appointed cultural superiority and religions moral high ground, who are also involved in the Comanchero bikers and affiliated groups, are the ones with AK's in Aus.

And they have ties to the middle east.

Go figure.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

Except that we have never had a school massacre. Out list is blank, how about yours?

Culture makes a great difference!

P

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

[If you didn't want to be taken literally, why post it?

(Bangs head on table)

Keep banging your head on the table, you might knock some sense into yourself. As far as I can read, your contributions to the thread have absolutely nothing to do with the safety of Australian schools.

Pussy.

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join